1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Total Annihilation fans REJOICE!!!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Skutbag, 8 Jul 2005.

1. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

Praise be for Chris Taylor and his wonderful team of game designers!

Am I the only one excited about Supreme Commander? Basically Total Annihilation 2? (No I don't count TA kingdoms, Sci-fi = better than fantasy IMO)

Man, the original was so good and this better damn well be the bomb. I think I'm more excited about this than I was about HL2. The hours I spent on that game, even just on skirmish mode ammassing the biggest goddamn army my Pentium 333Mhz could take. The screenshots look JUST like the original, but polished and with these huge walking tanks and Kbot lookalikes. They've even kept the COMMANDER in it as well! Highlights of the original game certainly involved controlling the commander by hand on the front lines using the mighty D gun to fend off waves of dumbass computer controlled troops. FOOM. BLAM. ETC...

Sorry to electronically dribble over your computer but I can only sum up my excitement in three letters. O. M. G.

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

This is going to be so good! I've always loved the original and this sounds incredible. Can't wait for it :rock:

The skirmishes were the best bit on the original. Seven Islands was great but the ol' 233mhz 32mb/RAM PC couldn't take it. I spent hours perfecting my strategy on that game; it was just so addictive.

It was so satisfying to get just the right sort of attack force in and plan it so that you just smashed the enemy base to pieces. Or nuking their Commander when he was next to some Fusion Reactors :naughty:

It was equally satisfying to build up your base defenses (Annihilators and Guardians were a favourite of mine) and then repel a huge attack without sustaining ANY losses yourself, the battlefield would just be littered with enemy wreckage.

All this talking about TA makes me want to play it.... *finds install disk*

Last edited: 8 Jul 2005
  3. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

:D Yess!

That game was soo good, last thing I remeber was the battle me and my mate had round his house, unlimted units (i think), all the add ons and mini mods and no stopping for food... after 7 hours of picking away at eacothers army we moved everything in, atleast 2000+ units, it just turned into a slideshow then both machines crashed, pretty anoying it ended that way but it was great fun :D

You got any more info???

Id like to see somthing like Sydicate remade :hip:

Duke Nukem 3D kicked ass too :D, used to play it on "Wireplay" when it was the only big UK gaming place.

Those were the days :hip:

4. TechnoScream

TechnoScream Minimodder

Oh wow, i have been waiting so long for TA:2
    Im really glad to hear this is finally being done! i cant wait! i wonder if we will be able to make our own units for it... ill have to look into this...

:rock:

5. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

Yes, oh my, now i'm excited.

All i need to hear is that a good version of Natural Selection is comming out.

6. Springs

Springs Boing boing

i saw some pics of what looks like this game in PC gamer and tbh its not much different than the original (graphical wise) but maybe they are early images.. but will still be getting this game :D

7. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Preview of the game, looks amazing :D

And here are the screenshots. The graphics are similar to the original but there have been some great improvements, especially the water.

8. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

oooooooooooooooh, pre-order title for me here.

if they get the interface for this right, wow, i made the mistake of looking at those screenies whilst on the phone, my friend was just stunned by my silence.

I mean look at the drop ships, all those units, eeeh hee hee.
    can't wait.

i hope they get some kinda of inteligent grouping going thou, or else controlling it all will be impossible.

9. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

Here's what that means: when a tank rolls over a hill in Supreme Commander and fires its cannon at a moving target, it's not an instant hit. The trajectory of the shell is computed as it whirls through the air. Hitting a moving target from a moving platform is hard -- the AI might not be able to compensate, especially if the target suddenly switches direction or vaults in the air. For this reason, tanks may not be the best choice against fast targets (as opposed to a vehicle that fires lasers or guns.) They also work better when stationary. This isn't because the designers are futzing with numbers behind the scenes: It simply how tanks work.

i think it was that snippet that made her hang up. (tip never read un-intrested friends exciting things about computer games.)

10. Springs

Springs Boing boing

one thing i hope they will get right is the AI.. was not the best in TA... i played skirmishes with 10 player me +9 AI and i was able to build up my defenses and units without being attacked... they use to just attack each other and leave the human alone... still made me site there for hours.. just hope they make it strong and smart :D

11. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

YES!
    I have not played TA since middle school.
    It was my favorite game of all time.
    Too bad the easier and faster (read noob) game of StarCraft stoll all the glory.

I have played many 6-hour battles with my friends with thousands of units.

12. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

StarCraft had much better AI, and diverse races.

But the issues of balance were always trying, and the AI's greatness wore off after a few days.

But i really can't post enough here to say how excited i am. Who wants to mod TA2 with me (assuming they do a good SDK like last time). :D

AI tbh, is always worse than humans, now even the 56k-ers have, hell they have 56k, and don't have to worry about phone bill so much (i remeber when you got charged by ur ISP for every min u spent dialed up!). My point, no excuse not to play against humans, always more fun :)

13. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

True, this game P*ssed all over Starcraft, which is just a 'see how fast you can click contest'.

The thing I'm probably most looking forward to is the sheer TA-ness of it. They've just taken the original and made it better. Example?

1. The maps. You could have massive maps in TA. Now you can have maps the size of contintents.

2. The units. You could have nukes, artillery and big ass boats in TA. Can you IMAGINE the big bertha equivalent? Shells the size of tower blocks flying across islands and flattening an enemy base?

3. The teams. You had two pretty similar teams in TA, now you have 3 to choose from with classicly balanced features- Earth: Average and slow, Aliens: Fast and stealthy, Robots: Versatile and weird.

4. Super weapons. In TA you had Nukes and Battleships. Now you've got really mad stuff like walking super tanks and FLYING aircraft carriers. Yes that is right. Also uber gunship-type planes that are like flying artillery by the looks of it.

5. And possibly the best point: Interface. Seems like something simple but rather than clicking your squad to attack an enemy squad and have them ALL FIRE AT THE SAME DAMN UNIT, you can have different commands for different clicks. So simple, so effective. So its one click for a standard advance, double click for a concentrate fire and three clicks for a...god knows, flank attack? WHY HAS NO ONE THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE?!!??

(More dribble, my apologies!)

14. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

skuntbag not dribble at all, its all making me salivate more and more over TA2.

Now i think ur missing something important in ur points. Cool.

a big ass drop ship which lets you dump a bunch of kbots in the manner shown, is cool.

as for interface, i'm hoping they'll be looking at ... damn can't think of the name, it was a 'historical' battle game, big series, lotsa versions. You arrange patterns, line, square etc. Hopefully it will have a "multi-dimensional" grouping system, so when you say press 1, you get a small bar at the base of the screen showing you all the groups, (just like when you press 1,2,3....0 in say starcraft, after pressing ctrl once. But this time you can have 100 groups :D).
    I also hope they properly support multimonitors.

15. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I think multiple monitor support is inevitable considering the sheer size of the game. I really do hope they do a good job on the AI - I remember in the original on the sea maps, the AI built land vehicles and tried to drive them across the water :eyebrow:

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing the new units in action... and those nukes :eeek:

16. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

Good point about the dropships. They've mentioned they're actually essential for travelling long distances as well, unless you fancy crawling across the map for hours!

And yeah the AI was awful, especially on water maps. Even on land maps you just had to get a decent defense up and wait for the enemy commander to get a bit too close.

I hope the AI has a bit more character this time; like some enemies will try sabotaging your key bases with scouts, some will roll along loads of tanks, some will constantly on the move with loads of transports. And of course the final battle will just have everything going for it.

Oh and I'm going to load up TA as well now!

-EDIT: And make sure you check out the Absolute Annihilation mod for TA while your at it. You get plenty more units but not typical 'Big gun that kills anything' amateur stuff.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2005
  17. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

they dont sell total annihilation anymore do they. i hear these good things but i cant find a copy.

18. markit

markit What's a Dremel?

:eeek: Me loves this more than the original!

Multimonitors would be great! I've yet to see any game that has proper multimonitor support.

19. Skyrunner

Skyrunner What's a Dremel?

God that look gorgeous, pitty it's not out for a year :'(

20. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

A Year, AHHHHH!!!
    I want it now, but it's gonna be great. Let it be GREAT!!!!

Tags: