1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Newcastle vs Clawhammer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Oclocker, 16 Jul 2005.

1. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

Swapped my P4 for an A64 - Guy said it was a Clawhammer 3500 - but CPUz says its a Newcastle 3500..

Now is there gonna be any major reason to worry - chip runs fine at 11 * 221 (must check what its proper settings are..)

Guy is solid and I am sure a genuine error - I ain't that fussed if two chips are similar enuff..

2. rkenny666

rkenny666 What's a Dremel?

i may be wrong as im not the best at this, but if your just running 32-bit apps on a 32-bit OS then the newcastle actually performs slightly better than the clawhammer, yet its slightly cheaper

3. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

See sig

Anyway, chances are its not an error. AMD released some downgraded claw's into the world a while ago, one would assume to get some cash for chips with failed L2 cache. The chips have 1/2 the cache disabled so appear as newcastles (512k over 1mb).
    The advantage of these chips is that the hammers have a slightly higher quality memory controller, ever wondered why there's never a problem hitting high fsb's with the FX's? The downgrades tend to clock quite nicely too.
    Can you get the code of the chip off the spreader at all? This should confirm if the chip is indeed a claw.

4. TMM

TMM Modder

if it has "CAA2C" in the stepping then its a 512k Claw. if it doesn't then you've been ripped (its a 512k Newcastle with slightly inferior memory controller - read post above).

5. rkenny666

rkenny666 What's a Dremel?

only trying 2 help m8, just what ive heard

6. Oclocker

Cheers that makes sense as does seem to clock OK.. As I said not that fussed just seemed weird cos guy is OK..

7. Oclocker

Thanks whatever .. :)

8. Oclocker

Ok I'll check chip when I change coolers (I've lost my adaptor for my XP120 - when I find it its gonna be installed and see what it clocks too..

9. Oclocker

Just downloaded latest CPUid and it now says Clawhammer - so good news - now I find adaptor - and clock it up (ram good for 275 so could be interesting)

10. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Yea chances are it will be shown as a claw, just with 1/2 the cache :) double check the core code to be sure tho as TMM said.