1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Auto-starting UPS

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DanielArdelian, 20 Jul 2005.

1. DanielArdelian

DanielArdelian What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know if an APC SmartUPS like this:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SC620I

will automatically start if the line power goes out for a longer period, the battery discharges completely (until the UPS turns off automatically) and then the power comes back on ?

I'm interested in using one for powering the water pump of a coal heating plant (the pump uses about 60 W) in my company's mountain recreational house.

Thanks in advance !

2. Turbokeu

Turbokeu Minimodder

Depending on how Powerchute software is configured, PC will shutdown after a number of choosen minutes, or will shutdown when max autonomy of batteries is attained.
    The UPS will not power on automatically when power comes back.
    I own a SmartUPS 1000VA.

CD :)

3. DanielArdelian

Ok, thanks for the info, but then another question:

Is there any other UPS model / manufacturer that will automatically restart when the power comes back, even if the batteries died ? I'm really interested in this feature...

4. planki

planki ...

afaik there isn't because essentially the UPS would need to be "half awake" to be able to detect when the power came back on to then fully start up the heater again, this would then require an additional battery to power it whilst it is "half awake" which would again eventually run out.

Don't know if such a thing exists but i wonder if something could be made that plugs into the power socket and monitors the voltage and when it changes it acts accordingly with the UPS and heater, but i still cant think of a way of doing it without a battery.

5. DanielArdelian

The funny thing is that I have a really old (5 years ?) APC Back-UPS 500 VA under my desk with a rocker power switch like the old AT cases had, and if the switch is ON, the UPS will start when main power is available, even if the battery was completely discharged during the outage...

Trouble is, the battery only lasts for about 5 seconds under load and 1 minute with no load...

So I guess I will look for an old replacement battery for this UPS...

6. Vequalsir

Vequalsir What's a Dremel?

my smart ups restarts after it has been "completely drained". These system never drain the battery completely. At some point during the discharge, the battery will no longer be able to provide the power required to run the inverter. This hopefully happens after the ups issues the shutdown command to your pc. At this point the ups is inhibited...not turned off. the ups controls should still be functioning. If you have one that is not operating in that fashion, chances are the battery is not good.

If you are looking to spend a little more than $300 bucks, you can probly find a small (500 to 1000va) industrial ups system.

7. Pegasus

Pegasus What's a Dremel?

8. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

One of the larger issues is that a UPS essentially destroys the battery if it is forced top completely drain it several times.