1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unlocking tbirds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by montiez, 11 Jun 2002.

1. montiez

montiez What's a Dremel?

i have been told to unlock the 1gig tbirds you use a HB pencil and join the L1 bridges up, there is 4 gold bits by the L1 sign on the cpu.. do i join all 4 up?

2. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

Yes, you join all 4. Although a pencil, preferably softer than HB will do it, it is not the ideal tool! some conductive paint or pen found in most overclocking store is a better choice.

3. montiez

montiez What's a Dremel?

the stuff that is used for heat sinks + cpu's.. silver stuff in a tube heh.. will that do?

4. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

I done my tbird with a pencil and so far it lasted a year. Just get a magnifying glass to check that you have joined them properly if not just rub it out and start again.

5. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

Not really! I definitely would not recommend you to use that! The right stuff is proper paint or pen that is used for electronics. This is it;
    http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk/productinfo.php?codeid=800286

Like I said though, a soft pencil will do it if need be.

6. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

i found that a push type, hb pencil and a magnyfying class will do the trick nicely....did a duron 2.5 years ago that still clocks nicely...

7. sobriquet

sobriquet What's a Dremel?

i did my tbird with a pencil, and _no_ magnifying glass or anything...that was about 5 months ago

8. ug_the_caveman

ug_the_caveman What's a Dremel?

9. montiez

montiez What's a Dremel?

i also did it without a mag glass.. good eyes ;-) well from a friends suggestion i went straight in and.. set the fsb to 133, and the multiplier to 7.5 BLEEP BLEEP so i then lowered it to 110 @10 multiplier BLEEP BLEEP.. any ideas? is there a way to check the chip is unlocked for sure?

10. ug_the_caveman

DO you still get bleep bleep at normal settings? Also check your mobo manual for the definition of the bleeps. That will aid in problem solving.

Ug :)

11. montiez

montiez What's a Dremel?

its running normal settings now.. no probs at all.. the board is a kx7.. will check manual in a mo

12. montiez

montiez What's a Dremel?

well there is nothing in trouble shooting for it ;-) and short of reading every word, which im not gonna do :). the beeps come on startup and nothing will boot.. so i reset mobo and just turned it all back down and it works fine

13. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

probably not unlocked properly...recheck your pencil lines...

14. montiez

montiez What's a Dremel?

is there now way of telling if it works for certain or not?

15. GunDam

GunDam Minimodder

For starters u are running a very risky O/C method. U should O/C gradually and slowly 'burn the CPU in'. By jumping straight in @ deep end it will only overly stress ya CPU and therefore not likely to last very long.

Ya not taking full effect of the unlocked TBird, as ya only played wiv 7.5 and 10 multipliers. And if ya not sure if u have unlocked it sucessfully, by playing wiv multipliers over 10 will comfirm whether or not its unlocked properly.

Another thing is we dont exactly know wots ya Mobo spec's ie Brand model and chipset. Ya chipset my not be able to go up to 133Mhz :)grr: @ KT133).

Bottom line, I recomend u up the multiplier and check for stablity b4 u start messing wiv the FSB.

Have fun :D :D

16. banished

banished Necromodder

17. montiez

montiez What's a Dremel?

well im not too bothered about blowing the chip up.. as i am ordering a xp2000 soon anyways.. blowing it up will speed that process of a new purchase.. system specs are..

1 gig athlon tbird
    Abit KX7-333
    Samsung orig DDR 2700 (2 x 256MB)
    Leadtek 4600ti
    crap fujitsu 5400rpm HD being replaced by a WD 80gig same time as cpu.
    enermax helicopter sounding case with 10 billion fans in it eheh (8 actually).

as regarding the going to high bit.. i dont have much knowledge on this so i do as im told to the very last word. and someone said to me to do that to fsb and that to multiplier. so i did.
    before i unlocked the cpu i tried to o/c with 3 fsb increments, was ok at 103, but not at 106, but this was in my old case with hardly any cooling and only a 250w psu. also i didnt adjust any of the multiplier or vcore.. as i do not know what increments to do this by.. up down etc
    you have to understand i dont know what im doing with overclocking but i am pretty confident with doing anything as long as im told properly.. taking intrecate cog systems apart.. chopping tranks on pcb's and re-routing them .. because i have been shown how to do it. so any help, whether it be small or large would be great thanks :)

id pay someone to do it for me... but no one i know does this in my area

Last edited: 12 Jun 2002
  18. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

/remembers the guy who set the fsb to 200 from 133 and wondered why it dodn't work. :D

19. ug_the_caveman

It just takes a little time and practice as well as experimentation and luck. Just reading round the overclocking sites on the net will get u fairly comfortable after a while. Why not try going over those lines again witha pencil to make sure? I know its a hassle but its probably worth it.

Ug :)`