1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Good first car?

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-16, 13 Jul 2005.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I really dont care about the bump in the front, ive just gotta learn to drive and pass in it :) Tbh, i dont know where to start with everything :worried: :worried: :waah:

2. 2800@2.5ghz

2800@2.5ghz What's a Dremel?

what about the newer fiesta, with the zetec engines in them (just dont get the 1.3 as they are a pile of crap, you want a 1.2 or 1.25 zetec as these pack quite a bit of power and are very reliable.

by newer i mean the one after that (MKIII) shape, get the MKIIII if you can find one cheap enough. what about going to an auction, they sell a load or part exchanged cars from dealers for absolute peanuts.

you could pick up a high milage fiesta like the one above for about 25 quid, and thats not an exaduration on how cheap they go.

3. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Looks like a reasonably good start to me Bindi. That new clutch will be nice, but you can add an extra £80 or whatever it is for 6 months tax, and 40 for an MOT (if it passes first time, which it probably won't). It's worth explaining this to the owner to help negotiate a lower price.

Actually, you could probably do better with the money but it really depends on the condition of the car and how much money you will need to spend on it to maintain it. Do you know any mechanic types who could give it the once over for you?

Get some insurance quotes first. A 1.3 might be a lot more expensive than a 1L micra, I can't remember. The cost of the car will be nothing compared to the insurance :(

4. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

LoL a guy at collage has one of those in brown and i sware their the campest pairing ive ever seen:D

But nm about that:) It looks ok, bit pricey for me tho. try £250

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

"loose" quotes ive got for that one are around the 1k mark :/ But itll be 1k for me, whatever. Even on my mums 1l micra it was about £1200 when i was 17

6. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

No, don't underestimate how much difference your age makes - even though I've still not got my license, my insurance is much cheaper now I'm 20 than it was when I was 17.

AH

7. padair

padair Inebriated

The fact that the fiesta needs it's MOT usually means that the person selling it doesnt think that it will pass, otherwise they'd spend the £40 and sell it with a years test for £100 more. Cars with MOTs sell quicker and for more than cars without.

How about http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...category=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200528199327278

@2800@2.5ghz These are mk3s, the mk4 was introduced in 96 but the mk3 was still sold as the Classic alongside for another year. The current Fiesta is the MK6.

8. RapidEye

RapidEye What's a Dremel?

Not a bad first car for learning in except for the dent that would put me off, i had a K reg got me through till i passed as insurance was high as i woz 17 and hadnt passed then moved onto a 1.4 corsa sport, and pay £585 a year on insurance

9. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

pug 306 1.9turbo diesel would be my reccomendation for a first car

fun handling, cheap parts, gorup 5 insurance (ie low)

and if you get the stright turbo diesel engine you cna get more power with a spanner

10. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

What is your budget for both the car and insurance Bindi, if you don't mind me asking? :) That way we can give better advice to fit your budget.

11. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Yeh awsome cars but i was quoted £180 a month to drive it when i was lurning :confused:

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

My dads given me 1500 on finishing my degree. :)

But that's gotta include insurance, tax, lessons, car, test etc

13. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Ouch, lessons aren't cheap mate, its around ~£20/hr here...hope you don't need too many!

Have you considered any larger cars - at this end of the market its almost 'throw away' time (as in its uneconomical to repair, or time to scavenge from a scrapyard) if something major breaks so higher repair often associated with larger cars costs aren't necessarily an issue.

The 'new car' appeal that small vehicles like Fiestas have also pushes their price up when compared to larger vehicles, which means that you get more car for your money (faster, better equpped and more comfortable) if you're prepared to look at larger cars. Considered a vauxhall cavalier? Plenty around for under £600, not all sheds either even at that price...nobody wants a Cav anymore thats all. Insurance TPF&T shouldn't be prohibitive either at your age (yes you have no NCB, but you're relatively old ;)).

Might also be worth a look at an auction with your budget too, though I'd advise taking along someone who really knows the motor trade with you and reading up a lot...there's bargains to be had, but also absolute sheds to be bought as well :duh:

Last edited: 15 Jul 2005
  14. fullfat

fullfat What's a Dremel?

youre looking at the right sector anyways matey.
    id look for a fiesta, micra anything with less than 1.3 engine and is a hatchback really.

15. padair

padair Inebriated

Most 309 TDs were Group 8 insurance, I used to have one, I chjanged to a 405 td and the insurance was roughly the same

16. padair

padair Inebriated

£20 an hour? Back when I learned to drive I paid £7 four a 1 hour lesson- that was with a good instructor who charged 50p more than anyone lese. Then again that was 16 years ago. (I learned to drive in a Citroen Visa diesel - prolly teh slowest car on earth, you couldn't overtake tractors :) )

As will says, larger cars can be had for peanuts as well, small hatches are in demand, but you can usually pick up a Sierra / mondeo / cav/ pug 405 etc for the same money as a micra or fiesta and if you have a play around with online insurance qoute thingys, you'll get an idea how much insurance is going to cost.

17. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Mate....£1500 is really going to be pushing it...I learnt with the AA (ok not the cheapest I admit), but it topped out at like £500ish when it was all done and dusted, and I learnt in about 20 hrs.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I know :/ I found a 1994 Volvo 1.8Si a mile down the road for £400, MOTd til next feb : with new brakes, tyres and exhaust. My parents have suggested getting my mum insured on it first, then me as an extra driver to make it cheaper.

19. nick[x1]

nick[x1] What's a Dremel?

£1500 will get you no where.
    Lessons and maybe a cheap car. Then you have insurance which is £1k atleast

20. Conrad

Conrad What's a Dremel?

Named driver is ok for cheap insurance but you really hurt yourself in the long run as you get zero no claims as a named driver. Fiesta's are allright but for that price you can pick up an old micra, i know they look like crap but very little goes wrong with them, build quality is alot better than the ford and it doesnt rust like a ford either. Just my 2p, thats you up to £1500.02 now bindi :p

Tags: