1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Door Lock Actuator Question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mr. Beta, 27 Jul 2005.

1. Mr. Beta

Mr. Beta Minimodder

Those who have been on the forums for a long time might remember my DIY Gun Turret post.

I am trying to bring that to life.

For those who don't know, I want to build a device that I can clamp a rifle in and controll/fire it by wired remote.

• I don't plan to use it for anything illegal.
    • I don't plan to make it full auto by electric trigger.
    • Saftey is my number one priority.

Right now, I have an auto door lock actuator and I want to slow down the "throw" I still need full force but I'd like a slower speed.
    Any ideas?

Thx

2. chopsuwe

chopsuwe What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure but I think they are a motor and linear gear so all you need to do is run them off a lower voltage. Doing that will lose torque though.

3. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

If it is a solenoid, then there is no realy way to slow it down. Once it overcomes static friction the piston part just gets sucked right into the coil. You could try slowly increasing the current through the coil, but I would expect it to do nothing, and then suddenly pull.

4. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

if its a solenoid i belive you can use a PWM to limit the speed, problem is getting the right frequency. The idea would be you overcome the inertia, then cut power, let veloticty decrease, same againt.

If you think a constant A (acceleration) with a varying u (retardation) then you pulse how long A is on for, but A is always constant. A is actually very high, so once inertia is overcome it flys back.

hopefully my ramblings make sense.

5. chopsuwe

chopsuwe What's a Dremel?

All of the door locks I've seen use a motor and linear gear. There may be some that use a solenoid but it seems unlikely as a solenoid needs power to keep it pulled in. Trying to slow a solenoid using PWM is almost impossible. There is also the issue of it returning to it's resting state position as soon as you let the power off.

6. Mr. Beta

Mr. Beta Minimodder

Thx all for your input.