1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why doesn't anything work?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 27 Jul 2005.

1. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

: (
    No one commented on my rant -

It took a full day of my life - I was supposed to be over there for a couple of hours. I had at least a full work week worth of stress in that one saturday.

How can you release a product with a 'known bug' that if you have it plugged into a windows 2000 machine you have to unplug the device before rebooting and then plug it back in.

This all happened a year ago and I hadn't thought about it in so long. Now I'm mad all over again......

(Sorry, I guess I had a little more rant that I had to get out of my system. I'm fine now. Really. Except, I want to hang that piece of hardware by a string or something from a tree branch out in the country and see how many times I can hit it with a 45 before there's nothing left. But, other than that, I'm fine.)

2. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

Didn't manage to read the post just below then :p :p

3. DreamTheEndless

:wallbash:
    Sorry - thanks for the sympathy.
    :wallbash:

4. LockmanX

LockmanX What's a Dremel?

technology woes...man, I could post a list that would rival a disctionary in length. Some of my more recent problems have been more managable.

First, I'm a firm beleiver that some people just need to sit down for a few minutes and RTFM. About a week ago I moved into a new house with a broadband connection (finally!). Since the landlord didn't want my drilling holes to put in cat5 ports, I bought some wireless gear. I spend 30 minutes configuring the router and its a been flawless since. I went around to each PC in the house installing cards and configuring everything. For three days everything is fine. Then for whatever reason, my brother decides to delete the software for the card. I'm then hounded by him insisting that it was my fault for not telling him that "D-Link ExtremeG Wireless" is not a piece of spyware. *sigh*

Awhile back my TV burnt out after 11 years of faithful service. Because I couldn't afford a replacment, I bought a tuner card. Naturally, a problem surfaced. The program that I use to watch TV won't open if there is any other overlay surface on the screen. After the program is open, it doesn't seem to matter. Not a big issue but in certain situations, its highly annoying.

One of the TVs in the house has developed a "lazy on." Almost every time I try to turn it on, it immediatly turns off again. Kinda reminds me of trying to wake someone up in the morning; you've got to try a few times before they'll get going.

I've noticed that USB driver quirk with Windows XP as well. I've got another problem to boot. It seems that whenever I add a USB device, windows will will not only ask for the driver to that device, but one or two other's that apparently its suddenly uncomfortable with.

One thing that really annoyed me lately was a problem with the sound input from AV connections. To quickly explain, I have alot of input sources for my tuner card (PS2, cable box, camera, ect.). I use a component selector to manage the sources. Because of all this and some other components I keep around my desk, I spent about 3 days routing, managing and hiding cables. For some reason, when I wanted to use my cable box, the right speaker wouldn't work. After checking to make sure everything was pluged in and configured, I check the cable. It looked fine. Unsure, I ran a temporary one. All of a sudden, problem fixed. That means that the cable I spent hours, 20 or so tye-wraps, and a bunch of anchor points to get in place was no good. &%#@!

I could, at this point, mention Steam or battlefield 2 but I think I've done enough.

5. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

ahh, but the screws are inaccessable, you see its a DVI -> vga adaptor, and it gets bigger just after the DVI bit, so you cant access the screws, you think i havent tried that... :sigh:

6. Risky

Risky Modder

My current bugbear is networking which always seems to require a vast amount of fiddle.

7. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

that's why there are qualifications in networking...

8. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

/me throws a right angle screwdriver at bigal ;)

My XFX has two DVI ports and I have two VGA LCDs. Both my DVI-VGA adapters are screwed in solidly ;)

Recently my woes have been mostly with Microsoft (whee, big supprise here!). DirectX decided to corrupt itself on this machine (my main machine bty), and seeing as this install was done with a disc that had SP2 slipstreamed into it, DX9.0c is integrated pretty darn well. Can't uninstall, reinstall, whatever. So I now have to find a temp home for 200gb of crap while I reload (oh yeah, loads of fun).

Also, I just found out that I have exceeded the number of computers microsoft allows to activate MS Reader to a single passport account. So my collection of several ebooks which I have collected and paid for over the past 5 years are pretty much many bytes of worthless data, I can't read them. Even better, I emailed Microsoft and they refused to so much as give me the time of day.

Reloads count against your "allowed system number" as do new systems. And if your Microsoft PocketPC happens to crash and require a reload that counts as well...

Needless to say, I'm not too happy with MS at this point in time :grr:

9. Risky

Risky Modder

...but I jusr want my router to route....... :wallbash:

10. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Am I the only person that reads that as Bi Gal, rather than Big Al?

:worried:

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Na, i scan it and see bigz, then have to re-look :worried:

LOL@Haz though, it mebbe Bi Gal.

Last edited by a moderator: 31 Jul 2005
  12. Yo-DUH_87

Curses. Now I will no longer mistake him for bigz, but for Bi Gal.

My vengance will be swift :p

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I have been repeatedly banging my head against a brick wall on a Windows 2000 install. It works fine for a whole day while I'm installing/rebooting/etc.

Then I put Roxio 6.5 on and it dies - inaccessible boot device, whatever I try to do.
    Hmm, okay - I do the chkdsk thing, as recommended on the bsod.
    Hooray, it boots again, after reporting that it had fixed 'one or more errors'.
    Install more gubbins, security updates et al. Reboots fine for a couple of times then plays dead again.
    I then unplug one of the cdrom drives, as it sounded like it was struggling to read anything put in it. I also checked everything was seated in place.
    Boots up okay. Ah, finally! Everything appears to be okay. Although it's lost the scanner driver. Put scanner driver back in and it -eek- requires a reboot.
    bsod again.
    chkdsk again.
    boots fine a couple of times, then bsod again.
    I gave up and brought the computer home with me and I bet the ************** thing boots up fine while I have it.
    I have an idea it may be the Parallel scanner, if it is acting as a pseudo-scsi device.
    This is the most trouble I've ever had with an install. Ever. And this is W2K, which is supposedly the OS of choice.

14. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

mis wired the power to one of my harddrive racks :duh: we kinda all know what that means, 12v > 5v and 5v > 12v.... cooked the logic and underpowered the motors on 3 hd's totaling 150 gigs...., shweet

15. FredsFriend

FredsFriend What's a Dremel?

Every so often my bios, for no apparent reason, reverts back to safe mode.
    I won't have touched anything inside, or removed the power to my comp in this time, it just does it.
    So suddenly i have no sound or network connection (both onboard) :wallbash:

16. Yo-DUH_87

Try changing the cmos battery out ;)

17. Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks What's a Dremel?

To write it?

As for the oft-quoted "As far as I'm concerned if it fits in the hole then it ought to work", I have a dead scanner (actually my parents') to testify that this does not work with DC leads.

18. DreamTheEndless

:D

No - Took a full day to get my nephews computer online.... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

19. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I had a CD shatter when it was spinning at full rpm's, the tray also shatter, the bezel flew off and i have a little scar on my leg where is struck me down! lol just to make the clear, the drive wasnt in the case, it was just kinda plugged into the IDE cable sitting outside, my new cd-rw had packed up, lesson learn there? cover everyting with duct-tape!

20. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Dear god, this is a hilarious thread. Also, I discovered yesterday that Black & White won't play with WindowBlinds turned on. It gets the start screen, then windows comes back, and I hear the sound from the game menu playing. Nothing in the taskbar, nothing to alt+tab to, nothing. Unloaded WindowBlinds, and viola, worked like a charm. Dastardly software.

Tags: Add Tags