1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding (Q-Tec != QTechnology) -> Ripped off!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jezmck, 22 Jul 2005.

1. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Hi all,
    I've just bought a Q-Tec 400W 'Bigfan' PSU since my old one (stock jobby) was too loud.
    Problem is that this one seems just as bad if not worse. (I think I may have been suckered by one of these b*****d clone companies, see my sig.)

So, do I have any chance of getting any compensation? (I bought it from Ebay, and don't feel I can blame the seller.)

Or should I try and replace the fan, or do something similar to reduce the noise?

If the latter, which seems likely, do you have any suggestions for a 120mm fan?

TIA, j

Last edited: 22 Jul 2005
  2. jerb111

jerb111 What's a Dremel?

there has to be a soultion with a thermister,
    if not the thermaltake thunderblade is pretty quiet

3. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

it is already supposed to be temperature controlled.
    I've not had a proper look inside yet since I'm still wondering if I can get some kind of compensation.

edit:
    I forgot to mention that the fan inside is translucent pink(ish), though I can't identify it further atm (it's running)

4. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

if you dont mind it not being temp controlled, then get your replacement fan, and solder its power to the +12 (or +5v) and 0v and ignore the temp controlled output.

5. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

naturally I know how to do that, and the chances are that I'd go for 7v instead.

cpemma (or any other elec-guru):
    Could I adjust the temp controlled aspect?

6. koola

koola Minimodder

Just another reason why not to buy from flea bay!

You'd be better to go with the Vantec Stealth Fan as they push quite alot of air at very low RPM.

7. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

you should just pop it open and put in a silent fan ( or at least a quieter one, obviously) that should make it worth keeping, if you want to try and get some money back from it, see if the seller will take it back, if not, sell it again on ebay.

8. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Absolutely, 100% DISagree with you there - I paid for and got exactly what the seller was advertising - he did no wrong.

I think this is what I should do - can anyone recommend a fan to me? and somewhere to buy it.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

10. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Excellent, thanks for the suggestions.

(I will be shopping around still, so any other suggestions will be appreciated.)

11. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Get the real nexus fan as it seems to be the standard low noise fan used in testing over silent pc review. You are correct q-tec is not q-technology when I first saw them I thought the same but after a bit of reading one is a cheap psu manufacturer and the other is a silent/quiet psu manufacturer.

12. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

How about fitting a potentiometer / rheostat to control the fan? maybe combined with a quieter fan as suggested above...

Or if you've already got a rheobus fan controller you could link the fan up to that.

13. dibek

dibek What's a Dremel?

Get the Nexus real silent case fan (120mm), or a Panaflo 120mm. If you want something cheaper, get the CoolerMaster LED 120mm fan (just don't get the black version as it's significantly louder.

14. kevbarlas

kevbarlas What's a Dremel?

I have the same PSU, mines was loud too. so all i done was cut a big hole in the bottom where one of the fans are and mounted a 120mm fan there instead and done away with the other fan. Not had any problems and its a lot quieter.

15. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I do have an old rheobus somewhere which I could hack up, though the fan is supposed to be controlled anyway, so I will see if I actually need it.

many thanks for the suggestions :thumb:

not sure it can be the same one since mine only has one fan (the 120 on the bottom)

I don't think I'll do anything until the weekend, but how easy will it be to see whether or not it is temperature controlled?

16. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

Personally I'd swap out the fan connecting it back up to the temp controlled circuit.

You can always go back and hack up the temp control afterwards.

(assuming the temp control work by varying voltage not PWM, you can check it is working by slapping your multimeter across the fan and noting if the voltage varies with temp)

17. Alien

Alien What's a Dremel?

I don't know how much you paid for it, but it was undoubtedly too much, Q-tec PSUs are complete & utter crap. I know, I had 1 - the dual 80mm fan 550w model. I only bought it because at the time I was short on money & desperate for a PSU. I think it was under £25 including postage! I mean come on, they don't even include a power switch!

I'm much happier with my new PSU though, no complaints at all - well, 1 minor niggle. Whilst the cables & plugs are very nice, if you have a case with a sideways mounted 3.5" HDD cage you won't be able to plug them directly into the back of the drives [unless you have at least 2" clearance between back of drive & side of case].

[edit]
    However, if you want to stick with the Q-tec & just replace the fan, this one [the black, dustproof 1] is not bad. I have 1 as my rear case fan.
    [/edit]

Last edited: 31 Jul 2005
  18. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I paid £27 (inc postage) iirc.
    I have to agree that it is pretty rubbish, but I can't afford replacing it completely right now.
    That fan does look impressive, and I do have a bit of a dust problem here (no idea why), but it is a touch expensive.
    Thanks for your comments.

If anyone has any further suggestions, make them now since I will be buying soon.

19. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

the CoolerMaster 120 mm fans are near silent. I have the UV red version and it is soooooooooo soft (noise level lol, not the fan itself).

20. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

really?
    I imagined any fan with gimmicks (lights/UV) wouldn't be as quiet.