Project: HRG Tribute -Steel mATX case

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bonzanego, 10 Jul 2005.

1. TomboyMS

TomboyMS What's a Dremel?

Wow! Creepy. You are a very talented sculptor. Great work.

Last edited: 31 Jul 2005
  2. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

im not into that sort of kwork, but i must say its still pretty kick a**.

3. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

I'm surprised that no one has commented to you yet about how this is copyright infringement, did you get HRG's permission, blah blah blah. Everyone seemed to get into a conniption when I had The Spell I laser etched onto a window for my Project Fury.

[​IMG]

Telling me that HRG is sue-happy and I better watch myself, he's sued other people in the past and all this BS. :rolleyes:

Nice work. The sculpting is great!

4. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

You don`t need permission for that. Its like you put a poster in yout wall. Otherwise if he make cases to sold in shops and things like that, using that image.

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Awesome details. Dunno what to say.

6. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

That's what I was telling all the people who told me to fear HRG's legal team :rolleyes: .

7. bonzanego

bonzanego What's a Dremel?

People like to be afraid of every little thing, and when they are not scared enough they run around trying to scare everyone else. So I am not suprised you got the claws and fangs about the legal stuff. The TV news in the USA is a good example. HRG's lawyers dont really care as long as you are not trying to get rich off it, and even if they did care there is not much they can do to someone who is paying thier respects with a tribute piece, it is a derived work, not a verbatum copy of an airbrushed painting on mdf trying to pass as original. I even sent the images of the case to Giger and his agents....

8. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

9. Grimlord

Grimlord What's a Dremel?

Awesome mod! Love the alien look ;)

10. Pete_Venkman

Pete_Venkman What's a Dremel?

Isn't this particular case all original work though? Just done in the spirit of HRG?

If someone were to cry copyright, anyone that ever drew something dark with bones or female organs would have to run for cover...no?

If I recall...there were some rumblings about copyright around the time of either the third or the fourth alien film because I think the movie companies were trying to cut HRG out of the design of the alien that HE invented. Big movie companies suck.

I say again, awesome awesome AWESOME work.

11. bonzanego

Here is where we get into a grey area unless it is specified in writing. HRG created the alien design. The screen writers and Ridley Scott created the personality, movement and general story that brings the creature from a sketch or sculpture to a living thing that seems as real as a tree.
    20th century fox owns the aliens franchise, they own the look of the creature and that mythos. If you are contracted to create somthing for a company or person, how far does thier ownership extend? As far as I know 20th century hired HRG to perform a job and they would own it outright at the end of that job.

The stink you speak of arose from movie 3 when Giger was not given film credit for the original design of the creature. He is not compensated when the alien design is used or hybridized into toys, t-shirts etc. His only stipulation to my knowledge was the mention in the credits for film, which 20th century ignored.

Anytime you borrow from another artist and we all do, the intention is not usually outright copying, but giving the piece your own touch, changing things you would like to see different. When I see a Giger piece it has a very sculptural quality and to see it in relief rather than flat painting on a surface is my taste.
    Human desire is a funny thing. We desire and adore the work of an artist and desire to own it and possess it, a few seek not only to physically own it but mentally as well, to the point that we are trying to recreate it but with improvments and modifications that make it even more desirable.

Often when an artist creates somthing so unique and different it inspires many others, they cannot help but be moved by it and want to emulate the elements of it they find attractive. It is true in any field of design and art. For some like me the purpose of my life is not to reproduce and grow old comfy and happy, but to seek that one creative style of expression that will inspire the world and create a memory of me that will last the ages. Giger has done this and by emulating him I hope to recreate that formula through experimentation and achieve it also. Few artists are credited with creating an entire movment that changes the face of creative expression, Picasso, Duchamp, Dali, it is the holy grail for an artist.

12. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

wow man, that really sums everything up right there, i'm in awe of your work by the way, amazing job

13. quantum-modder

quantum-modder What's a Dremel?

wow!! nicley done

14. wahoomcdaniel

wahoomcdaniel Minimodder

Great work and quite imaginative. I thought your work with Satan's Deuce was great, but this is just a masterpiece. I'd like to second the request for more pics.

By the way, how much time do you have to sculpt/shape the gov't secret modeling material after initial application until its too firm to mold?

15. bonzanego

About an hour, longer if it is colder where you are working with it. I only tried to cover 4-6" square at one time so it would not harden before I could tool it into shape.

16. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Wow. I was wondering what happened to this project. I remember following some of your work on [H] and it was great.