1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bluetooth Amplifier & the weekend

Discussion in 'General' started by GiGo, 7 Aug 2005.

1. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Not sure if this should go here or not feel free to move if you want.

So another weekend comes round and I get home from work on a Saturday afternoon and I hear a naging voice 'Giles make sure you mow the lawns' its my mum asking me to mow the lawns, yay the fun!

Now last weekend my friend gave me an old Bluetooth headset from his phone, so I connect it up to my PC via my dongle and way hay it worked! I've got some AC/DC coming thru my headset, only problem is it doenst work all the way down my back garden and only half way to up the front garden, can anyone point me to where there is an article to make a booster for bluetooths dongles.

Any help would be great aswell :D

Regards
    GiGo

2. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

What kind of Bluetooth have you got on your computer? Is it a usb dongle? If so, then you could try a long usb cable... Or use a laptop to transmit.

Good luck
    L

Haven't heard of real boosters yet.. (since bluetooth is designed to work bouth ways)

3. GiGo

I've got a usb dongle and i've moved the receiver to the next room when mowing the front lawn with a usb extension cable but still not great results.

I was thinking of bouncing the signal from transmitter to a booster to give it an extra 10/20m distance.

4. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Can't you buy some bluetooth dongles with 100m rather than the more common 10m range? :) My MSI one states a range up to 100m...

5. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

but then the headset would have to be 100m range too in order to fully use the connection...

6. GiGo

Um... well my dongles the one that came with the media pro2 keyboard which has 100m range (pretty sure it is) so I could need a better headset

Is there any way of making a booster for bluetooth, im sure theres gotta be?

7. RTT

RTT #parp

I'm surprised you can hear anything over the noise of the mower :D

8. fullfat

fullfat What's a Dremel?

he might be doing it with a pair of scissors though lol, for the 'neat' look

9. Blue Raven

Blue Raven What's a Dremel?

You could probably add on an external antenna like in this guide here.

Also, because bluetooth is 2.45ghz, you can use antennas designed for 802.11b/g. There are plenty of plans for those on the Internet. Just use a directional antenna and aim it to wherever you need the signal.

Adding an external antenna would be way cheaper and simpler then using external amplifier.

Edit: I found some more links that might be usefull.
    Easy Homemade 2.4 Ghz Omni Antenna
    DirectionalBiQuad

I also found a link to an amplifier, but it would need heavy modification, because it works with a specific style of wireless card to alternativly switch between the transmit and recive amplifier.
    Here

Last edited: 7 Aug 2005