1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Clear Coat Haze

Discussion in 'Modding' started by user0001, 11 Aug 2005.

1. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

Painting my PSU right now. Put on a nice think layer of clear coat and it turned out hazy. Now, I saw in Linear's guide a pic that showed a half and half pic where one side was polished and the other not. Is this what I need to do in order to eliminate the haze? I was happy enough with how glossy the paint looked prior to clear coating and was hoping I wouldnt have to polish.

If so, should rubbing compound sufice? Or will it be necessary to at least slap some 2000 grit on it?

2. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

Theres your problem, you'll have to sand/polish it down again. Shoulda done it In a bunch of light coats.

3. obzelite

obzelite What's a Dremel?

next to my work is panelbeater, he lays down some really thick coats of clear and then just buffs it down, also has the benefit of getting rid of any inperfections and the results are always mirror finish.

4. user0001

Well, I mean I did a bunch of thin coats about 10 minutes apart from each other to get a nice thick protective layer. I do spray on the color very thick since light coats do not create the mirror gloss I want.

5. bonzanego

bonzanego What's a Dremel?

Humidity will also cause clearcoat to fog up. Trapped solvent will also make it haze, this means you didn't let each coat flash off long enough. Low temps and high humidity can retard the curing times of most paints. You may have to allow up to 1 hour between coats depending on conditions. Clear laquers can fog especially easy when too much material is applied in one coat. This can vary depending on what kind of clearcoat it is, polyurethane, acrylic laquer, arcylic enamel all have thier own drying characteristics and recoat times. The cans directions can be a good guide, but are not always reliable.
    One common error is to not shake the can enough, which leads to too much solvent coming out with too little actual clearcoat mixed in it or even the opposite; too much clear and not enough solvent. If the can says shake it for 1 minute than shake it for 2 or 3 just to make certain the material is well combined.

6. user0001

Hmm... I'll probably be clear coating the top piece of my case and the bottom piece of my PSU tomorrow. What should I do? Thin coats with 30 minutes in between? The DupliColor clear coat i'm using says to recoat within an hour or after 7 days IIRC.