1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Alpha, Big Problem!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wip3out, 14 Jun 2002.

1. wip3out

wip3out What's a Dremel?

Ok after everyone on this site reccomended me getting a PAL8045 heatsink i went out and spent my hard earned cash and bought one, also I added an Enermax 80mm UC-8FAB which is running at 40CFM with Artic silver 2.

My temperature after boot is 41.C :sigh: And after around 30 minutes my temps are at 47.C at idle with no overclocking :eeek: My case temp is 22.C.

So what the hell is wrong?? I was getting lower temperatures with my FOP38 and 53CFM fan which was holding 40.C Idle and only reached around 50.C when at full load?

I expected much much more from the PAL8045 any idea's if I could have installed it incorrectly or if my temp readings are incorrect?

Last edited: 14 Jun 2002
  2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

how many washers did you use??

also are you aware that the asus reports the wrong temps??

i get about 39 with my alpha on bootup and about 47 steady throughout unless i play games or do somethin else intensive

thats of course with no case fans...if i put them on it drops dramatically...as i often said the hsf can never do well if the case air circulation is insuffiecient...

also how many washers did you use?? have you set it to blow or to suck?? have you tried using the 53cfm fan??

3. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

An extra washer per screw does help............I was getting 50 load to start with, but a bit of tweaking and an extra washer per spring and now i get a nice and cool 39 load (taking into account the A7V266-E overreports the temperatures by about 10 degrees) :D

4. wip3out

wip3out What's a Dremel?

I have Two washers on each bolt one before and one after the spring as the Heatsink's manual stated.

I knew that the Asus onboard temp sensors weren't great but I didn't know they were as much as 10.C off :eeek:

I have 4 YS-Tech case fans all running at 35CFM and my case temp is 22.C nice and cool, and my fan is blowing onto the heatsink.

The main reason I got the APLHA was to reduce the amount of Db coming from my PC so there isn't any point in using the 53CFM fan even if the temps do drop slightly as I think 40CFM should be enough with an ALPHA when people are using 30CFM fans and less with theirs.

I may try another washer per bolt when I have the time to dismantle my computer again, however I am very fearful of crushing the core. :worried:

Last edited: 14 Jun 2002
  5. felix the cat

if you take your time you wont crush the core....i added an extra washer to what was stated in the manual and that help reduce temps...

also try puttin it to suck, which is what the alpha was designed for....

6. wip3out

wip3out What's a Dremel?

Ok thanks I'll try your suggestions and post the outcome. :)

7. felix the cat

keep us updated...summer is coming up...an overclockers nightmare...:(

8. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

thats def too high for the alpha.. check your washers and make sure she's seated good..

-scoob8000

9. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Use three washers per screw, and once they're all tightened down, continue tightening, and hold the nylon nut on the underside of the board still with your fingers. This will tighten it down further. I went from an FOP to the Alpha, and was initially similarly disappointed. Then I redid it with the extra washers and tightening. That's the reason that the FOP is so good for an alu heatsink...that clip holds it on VERY tight.

Next thing is the fan. Make sure it draws air OUT of the heatsink, not blowing in. That's quite important to the performance of the alpha. Make sure you have the shroud installed also.

Then just give it some time. I found my temps improved over about a month, as the AS moved around and got where it should be and out from where it shouldn't.

With system at 24C, I get full load at 43C on my heavily oced TBird, which is putting out 92W. That is pretty impressive performance.

10. wip3out

wip3out What's a Dremel?

Thanks I'll do what you and flix said and tell you how it go's, Just don't want to apply to much pressure to the core.

Switching the fan around helped a small amount but nothing especially signifigant, I'll add the washers within the next week or so and keep you up to date. :)

11. ug_the_caveman

ug_the_caveman What's a Dremel?

yea, but summer in the UK? rain, rain, rain and more rain. It happened at easter ffs

12. wip3out

wip3out What's a Dremel?

Still get very hot and humid though causing high ambient temps :(

13. felix the cat

exactly...my temps jumped by 4 deg over 2 days cause of it...

14. Cruelinios

Cruelinios EvE Addict

same here, my temps increased from 39 idle to 46 idle! (heh im Using a modded Taisol though :D)

Bloody summer in UK, its hot but it still rains!

15. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I;ve no idea how I'm going to vope with the summer (if we get ine) My Global Win 802 is black, black absorbs the heat, I think I'll run the beast with nmo sides on and take my SCSI drive out!

16. felix the cat

keep it out of the sun??

17. Cruelinios

Cruelinios EvE Addict

I used my aircon unit (dad nicked from his office) last year on my FOP38 with meh p3 700@ 952mhz and i made a passage from the air conditioning unit to my pc with paper :D looked really cheap but I had 18 - 25 degree cpu :)