1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Vonage PIMP THAT PHONE Contest

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mod_Man_1, 17 Aug 2005.

1. Mod_Man_1

Mod_Man_1 What's a Dremel?

For the last 6 weeks or so I have been 1 of 4 MOD Builders in the PIMP THAT PHONE contest with vonage. The phones are done and the voting has started. I am a regular here and ask for your vote...

Here is my phone !!!
    [​IMG]

Please Vote for Christopher Dols http://www.pimpthatphone.com/vote.shtml

2. bonzanego

bonzanego What's a Dremel?

3. Mod_Man_1

Bonzanego, first off, your workmanship is wonderful. I wish you the best in the contest, may the best phone win !!!

MOD Man 1

4. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Nice work I see your up against zap wizard too. GL to all of you.

5. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

cool phones, but bonzanego, why did you make yours look like that? its just sort of odd looking, not something you see too often in the modding world.

6. bonzanego

Thats exactly why it looks that way, not seen before. I wanted it to look as if it could be in a house, office , be owned by a man or a woman. My phone is the smallest one out of all 4. I shrank it down to take up as little space as possible, a SFF if you will. The phone is less than 2" thick and 8.5" long. I didnt want a phone that just had some paint, a window, and some lights on it. I also didnt want to see any wires, which many of us try to accomplish with wire management in a pc. The reciever cord retracts into the phone and is hidden. The size is part of an overall Japanese theme, homes are so much smaller in Japan than in the USA that they require appliances to be small to take up as little space as possible.. This phone, like my pc cases is functional sculpture.

7. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Here is mine:
    [​IMG]

I got to say I am impressed by both of you.
    I thought Mod_Man_1's phone was going to be really weird looking at the second to last update (Just a hand at the time) but the final result is pretty cool.
    As someone on the phone forums said: it looks like it would be Austin Power's phone.

bonzanego, at first I thought yours was going to be a iPod style all white with curves. I like the asian theme though. Your sculpting is good as always.
    BTW, I have you seen my wife's Hello Kitty case?

My phone came out as planned but was a challange to get done as I had Redwood 3.0 to finish with the same Aug 10th deadline.

This is a pretty fun contest.

8. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

i have a question. is it just coincidental that 3 of the 4 ppl in the contest are members here at bit tech? it just seems unlikely that that would happen unless they came here and scouted for people for the contest or something.

9. Mod_Man_1

I do not know if this was one of the recruting sites or not, I do know that I was selected because someone at Vonage found my HELLRAISER MOD and the up-coming MOD The Machine TV Show. I got that info directly from the people at Vonage...

MOD Man 1

10. Mod_Man_1

A few new pics for everyone... I took these pics becuase some people asked for ones like this and mostly of someone using the phone, so I have a pic of me holding the reciever and dialing...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Please vote for me

VOTE HERE

MOD Man 1

11. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

thats the first time i have been disturbed by a mod!

12. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

yeah... that is creepy, my vote goes to zap. The phone done by bonzanego looks sweet, but doesnt have the look of something that has been "pimped" like zaps phone.

13. magic_ocean

magic_ocean What's a Dremel?

:) very nice

14. Mod_Man_1

You think that is disturbing? Here is the newest MOD I am working on...

Read this thread here on this forum ==> Death Of An Idol

Now that is disturbing !!!

MOD Man 1

15. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I like the fish phone alot. But that phone and the mannequin aren't based on the original phone at all. So they didn't really mod the original phone. (that was the contest)

The phone with all the fabric and the braille lettering.. was just a bit weird. Not really my taste.

And zapwizard made a very nice phone. It is really modded, much like we would mod a case. A nice paintjob, cool lightning,etc. Plus its still practical.

So my vote goes for our Zapwizard!

16. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

17. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Personally, I voted ofr Bonzanego's japanese koi fish phone. It's just absolutely beautiful and I'm tired of seeing things light up. It's refreshing to see something as beautiful as that in as a simple phone. Who cares if it's the original phone... it's "Pimp that phone" not "Build your own phone from scratch."

18. bonzanego

Thanks folks, and thank you Zap for the heads up on my phone. The shell and entire chassis is original phone.
    Thank you bloodcar for the kind words.

It is funny you mention the ipod idea, that was what i thought when i was building it too!
    I have seen your slotloading SFF Kitty case. I also built my wife a hello kitty case a long time ago, it was almost the exact shade of pink yours is but was built around an antec midtower.

19. jackpotcoast

jackpotcoast What's a Dremel?

I believe the one made from the manequin used the internals of the phone. If you go through the images it shows him tearin apart the reviever and using the speakers and what not.

As for myself and what i voted for. I was stuck in between the fish phone and the manequin. Both were well done, and were deffinately different. I thought the manequin phone took more imagination, even though its not practical at all. The fish phone id definately use and it would be a nice piece to have. I went for the manequin in the end though due to this contest being about "Pimpin the Phone".

20. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

That's one crazy way to stealth a phone! Are you planning to stealth the VoIP adapter, router, and modem in there as well?
    Idea: make a wireless phone out of a hat. It should have a headset for handsfree operation. Charge it by putting it on the "doll", using either inductive circuitry or hidden contacts to transfer power.

BTW, I voted for ZapWizard's phone for its "science fiction" look. However, the "doll phone" is a very original and unique phone!