1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox 360 pricing confirmed!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 17 Aug 2005.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

hahahaha. :) Maybe even 5.

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I cannot even go into my regular PC parts shop and buy a 20Gb hard drive anymore, he just doesn't stock them. I think the last time he did the price difference between a 20 and a 40 was £5 and the 40 was a 7200rpm jobbie too. But I suppose that the smaller space is to restrict the amount of games that the pirates store on them (yeah right like that will work hehehehe)

3. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

maybe its a laptop drive?
    would help save space and make more sense for a removable disk as well as 20gig being more readily available

4. Almightyrastus

yeah true, makes sense from a power usage point of veiw too

5. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

It's a console...can someone tell me why power consumption or space would be a concern and laptop hard drive (which is slower and smaller for a lot more money) would be necessary?

6. Almightyrastus

it's not the power consumption per se, rather the method of getting the power to the drive, a laptop requires less power and takes everything in on the same connector, data and all where as a desktop needs separate power leads and more jiuce to run. This way they could run the power along the circuit boards a lot easier

7. tetleyex

tetleyex What's a Dremel?

Besides, the drive doesent need to be as fast, they're not going to store games on it, and the software isn't going to boot from it... it's used to store save points and maybee maps. It wont be used in the middle of a game will it? Maybee this too is something to stop pirates (arrrrrg) from storing games on it. But then again, It might not be a laptop drive, and it may be 7200rpm like most drives today... :rolleyes:. Then again it might not be a laptop drive, or a 3.5 inch drive... It could be made especially for the Xbox. Who cares anyway... two weeks after its release, there will be a hack for it ;).

8. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

heat
    they're trying to make this one smaller are they not? that was a big criticism of the xbox1, it was huge!
    and if the disk is portable laptop size would be more well portable :D
    they're not that much slower or expensive
    smaller? it already says its going to be 20gig...
    also looking at the slots and cover thingies on the outside of it none of them look big enough to take a fullsize 3.5" hard drive
    so unless detatchable means cracking the thing open and unscrewing it... :p

i have no idea, but it could be possible

9. csTYCOON

csTYCOON What's a Dremel?

Well screw computer gaming....:O

10. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

Well £280 is still over $500 but it still seems like a great price to me, I really was expecting it to be £350+

11. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

~$400 and the games.... yeah the games.... I guess you will not be able to download those... :worried: ehhhmmm... not that anyone is downloading games for PC's... :worried:

12. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

:D wow, an afordable console on release, pretty sure I can remember some crazy prices a few years back. Sega stuff I think, maybe Saturn or Dreamcast, or even Nintendo 64 maybe.

Hope they dont get cocky and wack it up :nono:

13. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

I will wait to see the lead before you jump for joy. If it is a Hi-Def lead it will be red, green, blue plugs on it like the current Hi-Def back is, i reckon what MS are saying is that vga monitors are now starting to have the ability to take input from r.g.b plugs that teh current hi-def use.

**Just seen a pic of the cable, and it is the RGB kind, you will not be able to plug that into a VGA port**

Well for 280 pounds sounds like a good deal, be interested to see what packages people will do, off to Lik-Sang to see their offers :)

Nikumba

Last edited: 18 Aug 2005
  14. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

You will be able to download and play game demos from the online service, so yes some games (demos) will be run from the hard drive. It will also be used to cache data, although there is more than ample ram to make caching unnecessary, but its there in case it needs to.

Laptop hard drive would make sense. It looks like to detach it you will press a button and slide it out of a mounting bracket, sort of like you do with some older camcorder batteries. What I wonder is if you can format a drive using the system. If so, down the road i'll be cracking that detachable case open and throwing an 80+ gb in there.

Concerning the gold and silver live memberships. I read somewhere (not sure if this was rumor/speculation/fact as theres been so much hype and info thrown around its hard to distinguish between the three when recalling from memory) that all the consoles, and i'm not sure if this has changed now that they have announced two different versions on launch, will come with a 2 month tiral gold membership, then will go down to the standard free silver membership if you do not choose to continue the gold membership by paying for the service.

Makes sense.. microsoft makes a lot of $$$ off of the live service. If people get exposed to it they just might find they like it and want to keep it. I dont currently use live, but I will use my experience with the trail to decide if its something for me or not. I tend to play more single player games anyway.. cant wait for the new Elder Scrolls game :clap:

15. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

Yeah this is great news, can we keep updating the thread with the best pre-order deals please? its just i dont want to pre-order at say gamestation and then find a way better deal at say woolworths. (its happened) *update* Amazon
    Even a picture of the box, i wont be pre-ordering online but i just thought i'd post it as i havent seen the picture of the box before.

Ice

Last edited: 18 Aug 2005
  16. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

I find it interesting that all us Brits are virtually celebrating the fact that the Premium pack is "only"£279, when apparently a load of Americans are crying because it's 400 bucks instead of 300...

As always (or at least, most of the time) I found Penny Arcade's take on it ChuckletasticTM: http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php?date=2005-08-19&res=l

17. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Last edited: 20 Aug 2005
  18. Lucidity

Lucidity What's a Dremel?

If they are willing to take the chance of pricing the real system at 400, then I guess it's really going to kick ass. Plus the line up is just amazing. Still wish it was 300, but I'm getting one nonetheless.

19. adfinni

adfinni What's a Dremel?

BAHHHH. I think I'l wait for the PS3. Xbox360 games selection will be nothing compared to the PS3's

Tags: Add Tags