1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks I Need connection idea's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sk8o, 13 Jun 2002.

1. sk8o

sk8o What's a Dremel?

just a query to see if anyones come across this problem before,

im moving back into uni halls this sept and they only provide 2 telephone lines to hook up to whatever the person (i) want...

i think there theory goes 1 for telephone 1 for internet, well atm im on a cable connection and like it very much so iam wondering if anyone knows whats the conditions of adsl as i dont think they will allow cable... :(

i have used the adsl locator and the postcode shows im in the region so is there any other conditions which might stop me...

also if i cant have cable and i cant have adsl (im gunna cry, yes my addiction is that bad :cries: ) is there any weird alternatives ?oh i dont think they would be 2 pleased if i bolted a satalite dish to the side of the wall so there goes that idea...

if the worst come to the worst whats the best 56k provider these days ive also looked into using both phone lines and using linux or windows to create a duel modem connection although i would just prefer a faster connection...

any ideas any at all :lol:

2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

just get adsl

pipex

16.99 a month

sorted!!!:D :D

3. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

£16.99 a month all I can see is £19.99+vat

4. sk8o

sk8o What's a Dremel?

lol, yeah i might get 2 for that price !!!

ermm yeah iam just worried about the fact that there might be a local telephone exchange in the way before it reaches ? wherever....adsl...

5. felix the cat

i think after all the added costs it comes to about 23 quid, but when they first advertised they put it at 16.99.....:sigh:

6. MadGamer

MadGamer What's a Dremel?

Wot uni r u going to cos here at our uni (Uni of brighton) in halls we have an ethernet port to connect our comps.
    Every room has one of those.
    It connects us to the internet and LAN
    Btw we r connected at 2 mbit/s by ja.net, and i get down speeds of about 250k/s :D
    Also we do a fair bit of CS and Q3 ownage on the lan here in halls :dude:

7. felix the cat

i cant wait to go to uni, hopefully bristol will have something simmiliar....:worried:

8. herbs

The uni I work at port block and make you use terminal services. So check out where your going has what you need, but the advantage is its free to the rooms here.

9. felix the cat

port block???

10. herbs

block certain ports so you can't use them i.e 6667-6670 for irc, 5190 for icq login etc.

11. Cruelinios

Cruelinios EvE Addict

yeah a lot of unis do that so that you can only use web etc. Kent uni tour guide bloke told me that they block the ports, but he just gets around it with a proxy.....hmmm me thinks hes talking ****

12. felix the cat

i thought they always do that to stop people from using stuff like kazaa to download stuff and use up the bandwidth...:eyebrow:

13. herbs

His not talking crap you can use http tunnelling to by pass most of the firewall port blocking, you just route your traffic through port 80 but it is slow and you wouldn't be able to play games on it due to high lag.

14. MadGamer

They block nearly all the ports here at uni (Uni of brighton) including the UDP ports so we cant play multiplayer games :cries:
    But we still have the lan :D
    None of the filesharing proggys work unless u have http-tunnel but u got to pay for that so :sigh:
    We have to sign into the firewall and configure all the progs to use proxy server on port 8080
    Ah and also port 259 is open for the telnet connection to the firewall.

15. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

la-trobe in melbourne

has the internet in all rooms hooked up to network plugs in the wall they all have 2 mbit cabel no ports are blocked u can use as much bandwith u want there ping is ok for gamein u can share files from ur computer if u want but if u do it has to be on full share so if the network admins find pron or what eva on ur hdd they can delete it

16. Forsaken

Forsaken GameFaction.com

after coping it the theres.....

how bout using hidden shares...

17. MadGamer

Thats what we do to share pr0n on the network here at halls.
    If u put a $ sign after the name of the folder its hidden and nobody can see it unless of course they know the name of folder:D

18. sk8o

sk8o What's a Dremel?

nah ive checked i asked them as much as possible and the women just said that theres 2 telephone lines installed... im just worried that if they have an exchange that then links to BT or someone wether that intial halls exchange will not be able to handle adsl :cries:

ill let ya all know within 1month when i move in if ive had problems getting a fast connection...

as for checking before u move in well its really ace halls and im in my forth year so there sooo convient +there litterally 60seconds walk to the computing/engineering building so that why i choose them, i mean i can survive on a 56k i think :idea:

Tags: