1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Freeze a CRT" thread :)

Discussion in 'General' started by Vigfus, 26 Aug 2005.

1. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

After 5,5 hours there is some ice forming around the sides. The top seems to be freezing quick, not good.
    I had a poke a bit down in the water and there is no ice, that aint right. The cold is coming from the sides, it should suck it up directly...
    The bad news: everything else in there is being thawed, hopefully it will stop before i have to get stuff out of there...

2. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

well you can quite happily poodle along at 80mph and 77mph is legal in the Uk willyhead :p

my dad went 95mph down the motorway on sunday, but it was clear and the were no cars for miles infront. also we got a car overtake us :O and there were some people in the slow lane going 80mph :worried: only for a 10 minute stretch of the motorway then everything slowed down again to 60-80

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Police will allow you to go up to 100 on a clear dry day (Camera's won't though!). You are legally allowed to go 10% faster than the speed limit. So basically everything you've said is true!

And for the CRT, can you move the CRT upwards a bit so that the bottom will freeze first, as you've said that the coldness is coming through the sides?

4. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

It should come throught the sides, still there is only ice on top of the water, along the edges. No sign of ice below the waterlevel.

5. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Well if it messes up then you can redo it with whichever modifications are necassary

6. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Its because ice floats, and the wood is insulating the sides and bottom.

7. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

silly me, i should have realised that pouring that much water on top of that miniscule bottom layer of ice would spell disaster. There is nearly none left. Thick slab of ice on top though and the walls are covering now. T + 8h (T = 17:30 GMT +1 (or 2 according to the bit-tech webclock...))

8. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

Hey Vigfus, Looking good :thumb: Dont worry if you have any accidents or things dont go as planned, After all its ice, give ita few hours and you can redo the whole thing, not like its permanent. Dont try and rush it just for bit-tech, im sure everyone here would rather see you take your time and do it properly and acheive better results in terms of placement within the ice, and how clear it is :thumb: Good luck & take your time!
    `P2D

(Woot 1,300 Posts.. PAR-TAY!!!!Or not)

9. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

A block that size is going to take a day or 2 to freeze I think you'll find so there's no need to rush.

EDIT: Another idea you might impliment would be to cool the water you are about to use in the freezer for an hour or so before pouring it in the mould. This would make it as close to freezing as possible and limit the amount that it would melt the block you already have.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2005
  10. Wicked Li'l Bender

Wicked Li'l Bender What's a Dremel?

When the water is cold enough, you can "seed" it by dropping in icecubes. I have infact seen this work.... it gives the water a crystaline pattern to align to allowing more rapid crystal formation (think salt crystal doping in science class..)
    Also, once the bottom layers take, it will allow the rest to freeze quickly... you can freeze it in multiple layers. It is just a matter of overcoming the delta t (in this case, the temp differences) between the internal enviroment of the freezer and the water temp. The wood will insulate very effectivly unless saturated with water because of the microscopic air spaces in the individual wood cells. End thermal dynamics and insulating properties 101. Stay tuned for advanced class where we discuss thermal density and thermal dissapation through convection and conduction.
    anywhoo, sweet project.

11. madhatter

madhatter What's a Dremel?

Haaaaang on a second, this is a modding forum! If it's taking ages to freeze, mod your freezer! Beg, steal, or borrow another core from another freezer, and hook it up to that one! Dual phr0z3n p0w3r! w00t!

12. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I like the idea of "seeding" it with icecubes, still if you do it in layers like 1 inch then it will freeze quicker. Also doing it layers will avoid a possible crunching sound.
    Wish i had a chest freezer. I have an old 100MHz comp that mite look better frozen :idea:

13. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

I'm really really really tempted to go take the old monitor I have sitting on my office floor here, and dumping it in a dolav full of water in the blast freezer... Imagine, It would freeze in a good few hours and I could steal your thunder :)

Mwahahahaahahah..... (but I won't..... yet)

14. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

His freezer radiator is probably VERY hot by now. COVER IT IN HEATSINKS!!! :dremel: :rock: Then watercool it !!!

15. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

dolav? blast freezer? no stealing thunder evilness :nono:

I have no place to cool the water i'm about to use.
    Seeding sounds cool. I'm worried it will result in very unclear ice though. We never got science class in that way at school, they were afraid that we would use our new powers for evil purposes. We had to teach ourselves to misbehave. :D

The radiator is hot, but not too hot, you can touch it without injuring yourself, but only just.

As for rushing this... I think i would be better off getting it done now, i wanna see it, you wanna see it... And do it better next time. i.e. using the same water again, getting something that wont melt to rest it on...

Update: T + 19h ish
    The last layer is frozen solid, on top atleast. It won't break when i hit it...
    [​IMG]

Since there is no danger of it popping up anymore i took the plundge and filled it up...
    [​IMG]

You can see some icecubes "floating" in the ice in pic 1, would that constitute seeding?
    Two airbubbles have arisen in the front, lets hope it dosn't ruin the effect. The ice looks surprisingly clear, maybe all the evil air is gathering inside the CRT?
    There was no cracking ice when i first poured on the second layer, i paused at 1cm to check.

Edit: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :wallbash:
    It sill floats, there was no ice binding the grill on the back... Took some water out and placed a pack of nails on top. I will just have to sit this out. Seems you are correct constructacon, or whoever said it too, it will take a few days. I will begin the modding of the freezer by putting some fans on top to cool the radiator. :rock:

Last edited: 30 Aug 2005
  16. madhatter

haha, i love it!! watercooled heatsinks, on a heatsink. Do it Vigfus!!

17. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

Erm, no. But we do get free water here so i could just point the hose that way... Not likeley.

Update: T + 20h
    Ice is forming, rapidly...

18. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

this is totally nuts, i love it!

19. madhatter

Why is it not likely that you'll have water running over the radiator? You could somehow have it transport the 'used' water to your garden or something, so it wouldn't be completely wasted...

20. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Dolav = Plastic containers used in work that are carried around by forklift trucks.

Blast Freezer = A room in work which blasts 60mph wind @ -40degs

:D