1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BEHOLD THE POWER OF WICKER!! **NOW WITH PICS**8/30/05

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MetricOClock, 21 Aug 2005.

1. MetricOClock

MetricOClock What's a Dremel?

well i decided i need a temp case for my computer until i build the case for it, which will be a few weeks yet so i started to look around my basement for storage containers, i then stumbled upon an old picknic basket and my head started thinking......wicker a material that can take heat changes well, plyable, and also allows generous air flow between the weaving.

SPECS:
    AMD 3700+
    A8N-SLI-Premium
    GeForce 6600GT
    WD 80gig SATA
    Antec NeoPower 480watt PSU

I started with the wicker basket and removed a ring around the interior that help seat the lid when closed, other wise the mobo would have trouble being put in.

I then located the location where i would need to cut a rectanglar hole for the rear ports, found the placement then cut the wicker with my wire cutters. The nice thing about the basket and wicker is it really is a bunch of rectangular sections with how it is woven.
    [​IMG]

I then went to mount it in and realized that the second DVI plug on my video card was hitting the internnal frame of the opening of the basket, i then removed some wicker and carved the reed frame out a little bit to allow for the port to slide in.
    [​IMG]

I then took part of the ring that was in the interior to seat the lid and cut it down to turn into a strap to hold the harddrive next to the mobo.
    [​IMG]

I was not able to place the power supply into the case though due to space restrictions :(
    [​IMG]

Right now with the lights off in my room the blue LED's on the video card create this neato blue light that shine through the weaving of the wicker.
    Unfortunently the LED's are to dim to be able to see it decently in a picture

All in all it turned out into a neat 45min case, and i'm the only one around to say that my computer case is Amish Approved.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2005
  2. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

most intresting idea....i can imagine the outside of it i just need pics of the inside. i would reccommend cathodes too those would look sick through the wicker. anyhow....anxiously awaiting the pics!!

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

once you post some progress pics PM me and I'll move the thread back to project logs

4. AdeTBun

AdeTBun What's a Dremel?

Is anyone else currently thinking about how cool a Wickerman style case with red CCFLs LEDs would look? Would worry about one thing though, wicker is hardly flame retardant is it! lol

Ade

5. MrBurritoMan

man, thats what im saying! <- about the CCFLs atleast. the wicker thing and fire could be a problem. but hey so far so good eh? we need pics!!

6. MetricOClock

I don't think there really ever would be an issue of fire, seeming you don't have wires and cables melting inside of your case even on it's hottest day, expect when there is electracal faluire but thats another story.

Although for an update on how it's runnning, i was starting to run into heat issues :rofl: , turns out running CS at 1600x1200 on my 6600GT causes my video card to crank out a TON of heat (who would of thought *sarcastically*) , and since i have no fans blowing air into or out of the closed wicker basket air wasn't getting in fast enough. But under normal daily web surfing and such the is no heat issues.
    I ended up placing a 80mil fan right next to the video card though, and can now game without heat issues, although i seriously think i need to install a fan either exhausting air or intaking air.

the reason there's no pics yet is because my brand new PowerShot SD400 was stolen about a week ago and i'm too poor till next week aproxamatly to go and drop another $400 on a nice digital camera again :(
    Pics will come ASAP i wanna show this baby off

7. MetricOClock

Well i finally got a new camera since my last one was stolen, the pics are not of the work in progress but the aftermath and the mentioned features.
    Heres one with the lid closed
    [​IMG]

and another backside shot
    [​IMG]

you can slightly see the LED's glowing from the video card in this pic
    [​IMG]

and this is my partner in crime
    [​IMG]

I'm moving in a few days to school (Univeristy) and i plan on doing some more finalized work for the picnic basket, such as add routing holes for power and data cables, possible some how incorporate a optical drive some where inside.
    Hope you enjoy!

all my pics andother assorted pics are here on my website
    MY WebPage

8. MrBurritoMan

mmmmm nice work, you might want to find a way to seal those edges on the basket that you cut before the whole thing unravels. other than that it is a clean looking mod. nice work!! :rock:

9. MetricOClock

actually the surpizing thing is, the wicker material is actually bent and permanently formed like that, it's not unravelling, it's been sitting like that for about 3 weeks now and hasn't deteriorated any