1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics [success!] computer driven remote-controlled car

Discussion in 'Modding' started by theagent, 9 Aug 2005.

1. flyashi

flyashi What's a Dremel?

Hey,

I did this too, but a different way. I completely removed the RC ciruitry. I created my own driver board, wireless protocol, and all that. http://yasha.okshtein.net/wrt54g/ .

If you want to simplify your parallel-to-RC-transmitter circuit, you could use the same chip I used: SN754410 or L298. Low power in, high power out. That's it. No relays. Check out the schematic on my site if you need help with it.

A *very* easy way to drive without a joystick is using the arrow keys. Check out my Car Driver program. vb, yea, sorry. I know VB can interface to joysticks - a friend of mine did it. But even with the arrow keys, it's like CS, or any other game where you have to move around. It's really easy. Go do it.

If you want, I can probably make you a modded Car Driver that outputs to the parallel port. Or the source is up there (well should be - if not, check out http://yasha.okshtein.net/wrt54g/index2.html is the original site, but it had too much traffic so I had to mirror it, but the mirror doesn't support some file types). Umm ok well if you need any clarification on how I did it, flyashi at google's mail.

- flyashi

2. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

got the new relays installed and they are working perfectly. i just tested the joystick and it works fine [though the car is friggin fast to run inside my dorm room ;)

i might make a video and am thinking about a guide, but now that i'm in college, i don't know if i will. we'll see [it wouldn't take long anyways]

-a

3. robogeek

robogeek What's a Dremel?

Well I know you already ordered all your relays and all that, but to help with other people who don't want to drain batteries fast or just want a more elegant solution, I Suggest using an Optocoupler.

To Use an Optocoupler, it is very simple, just pretend you are turning on an LED
    an optocoupler looks like this.
    [​IMG]
    Its a very simple circuit as you see only 3 parts and you control it just as you would an array of LEDs, because thats all it is an led with a phototransistor to act as a switch. Be sure you connect the high side on the switch to the high side of the transistor. You can get these in packs of 1,2, or 4 in one DIP package.

TLP621
    DIP-4
    $0.68

TLP621-2
    DIP-8
    $1.38

TLP621-4
    DIP-16
    $2.13

These are the current prices at www.digikey.com.

Happy Modding.
    --------------------------------------
    Black Holes are where God divided by zero.

4. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

5. jonatron

jonatron What's a Dremel?

I was inspired to do the same thing, but using an ULN2803A Darlington driver array. I’m now planning to follow flyashi’s lead (if finances ever allow) and make a WIFI controlled vehicle possibly with a mini ITX board. I really like the idea of having a web cam mounted on the front to see where I’m driving.

6. theagent

that's great to see you've been inspired, i think the generic idea is pretty interesting, whether you do it my way or someone else's. remember, though, you can get an analog wireless camera for like $40 here. the range on the car controller is only about the 150 feet of the camera, so that should be fine. wifi would be awesome if you had a widespread network to work on. certainly let me know what you do - you've got my attention!

-andrew

7. theagent

oh, and i should've mentioned for all of you, i finally saw through all the guides and, with some help, wrote my own program to control the parallel port. it's set right now to drive the car by arrow keys, too, which i find easier than joystick [joystick is unintuititive because of the tilt translating to linear movements]. if you guys have questions, you can hit me up [politely!]