1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Watercooling a 1U rackmount server?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FliesLikeABrick, 3 Sep 2005.

1. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick What's a Dremel?

One of my rackmounts has the following specs:
    dual P3-600mhz slot 1 processors
    2x Maxtor Atlas 10k rpm 20gb SCSI drives (hot)
    1gb RAM
    case is cooled by 6x 40mm fans, very loud

I would be interested in watercooling this to reduce the number of fans needed (and thus, the noise this thing makes), as well as to increase the efficiency of the components. I really don't want to have this thing lose a hard drive or processor on me someday because it always runs so hot.

What would the feasability be of watercooling this 1U server, so that the processors and hard drives are watercooled? If it is possible, what suggestions would you make. I'll try and get some pics of the inside for you so that any suggestions can be made as to layout, etc... if this is even possible.

edit: i posted this thread in the extreme cooling section since i figured the nature of a 1U server will present some inherent challenges in the process of trying to watercool it

edit: pics http://llsc.u13.net/dozer/ lemme know if you'd rather i resize them, right now ~1MB/pic

Last edited: 4 Sep 2005
  2. koola

koola Minimodder

There's no way your gonna fit w/c in a 1u case lol

The best thing to do would be to have the rad & pump external to the case.

3. FliesLikeABrick

yeah, i was thinking i would put the radiator somehow on the back, but i would definately want it to stay under the 1U size, 1.75" i would either make my own radiator by putting thin copper pieces on the outside of a copper pipe, or do some crazy modding on existing radiators. I need to come across some money before i can start playing with ideas physically, but im on the prowl for things that might make this possible. Once I have pics, i will have some questions about the feasability of fitting waterblocks and stuff inside, as well as tubing and information on cooling the hard drives

4. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Heres what im thinking for your 1U.

Seeing as your using some SLot1 P3s i don't believe they kick much heat as you can passive cool them so there not going too dump much heat into the loop, the SCSI drives are gonna do the damage.
    What you could do is get some blocks for the P3s im not sure what ones you might have too adapt some socket a ones id stick with 10mm tubing or 8mm aquacomputer stuff, then grab some HDD blocks and a C-systems mag pump as its tiny i think within the 1.75" range would need too check that, then a Black Ice Pro Triple should fit long ways falt inside the 1U case that should possibly passive cool the loop.
    Another thing is if you have room above and below the Rack try and mount the rad flat with some low noice 12s i believe the rad and some 25mm fans would just about squeeze in the case im not entirely sure on this youd need too check the dimension of it.

Or drastic measures could call for a single 5.25" bay system i think thermalright do one or something like that and adapt it too cool your Dual P3s and HDDs might work could be worth a try.

Does the rack run in your room just wondering why your using a 1U and not something a little bigger like a 2U or a standard case.

morgan.

5. koola

koola Minimodder

Some pics would be nice so we can give some better adivce :eyebrow:

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's been done. Innovatek setup, Laing DCC pumps.

7. koola

koola Minimodder

Got a linkey? ;)

8. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Here :)

9. koola

koola Minimodder

Looks like the pump, res & rad are outside the case though :(

10. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

I shouldnt think its going to be possible to have an efficient rad inside a 1U case. Everything else, with elbows etc is possible. May want to do away with a res for space reasons, but if you can fit one in then great. Nexxo hit the nail on the head with the pump. A DDC would fit the bill nicely, fitting into a 3.5" bay as it does.

11. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Well if you think about it a 1U rack case if its the right dimensions is 19" wide and around 40" deep if its a none standard rack then its anything from 20-45" deep that is a hell of alot of room for W\C bits and yeah a DDC would be nice forgot how flat it was. with elbows on a Tripple BIP i think it would fit flat id need too wait till i was home too measure it though.

morgan.

12. FliesLikeABrick

here are some pics, if anyone would rather i resize them, just lemme know and i'll go through them and resize
    http://llsc.u13.net/dozer/

its, uh... pretty tight in there. The round SCSI cable was a bad decision on my part, a flat cable works out much, much better in a 1U environment

As far as temperatures, the temps in this rackmount can get up pretty high since there isnt a lot of airflow over hte processors. They idle around 45-50C, and when they're under intense load they are getting up to about 70C or so.

I must say that cooling the processor on the right with a "passive" heatsink and 2 40mm fans is a good idea, thanks to #bit-tech for that bright idea. I put "passive" in quotes because it wasnt a passive sink originally, it had a fan on it that was too high to fit in the 1U (I added this processor after getting the server) and had a damned hard time finding a heatsink like the one on the left.

Watercooling the processors would be very useful in here because of the space restrictions on airflow, esp with the mess of cable in the front corner. P3 slot 1 usually run pretty cool, but these can get quite hot because of the mentioned ************ airflow

Last edited: 4 Sep 2005
  13. koola

koola Minimodder

That's gonna be really hard to w/c but not impossible ;)

Looks like it's gonna have to be an external system with just the cpu & hdd blocks inside.

14. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Id suggest a Koolance Exos system they do unit especally made for rack system as fromt he pics thats not a standard 1u unit it would be physicly imposible too fit it all in there so yeah it will be everything rad, pump res external with the tubes coming in from the front or back.

morgan.

15. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

do you usually have that running in a rack? if not then extend the top of the case with a cooling extension in which you could house the rad, res and pump if necessary.

16. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

i presume this is housed in a rack do u have any other rack space left, say another 1u? if so get a innovatek konvert-o-matic make it so it mounts in a spare 1u slot then maby look a c-systems mag. or somthing and a t line. would be nice and compact :) also if u get a big enough konvert-o-matic then u could easly cool one of more servers :) just my thoughts :cooldude:

17. FliesLikeABrick

i have the resources to make all of my own blocks and stuff too btw, I have access to two awesome metal shops, CNC everything

18. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

The big question that everyone is askingis.

Do you use this in a Rack or not ?

morgan.

19. FliesLikeABrick

not right now, i do not use it in a rack

at this point i use it in our house for a media server for my housemates and myself. If i get the cash for it, I plan to colocate this, so keeping it to 1U would be good.

that is, if they even let me colocate watercooled servers. If it turns out that they won't host a watercooled server (which wouldn't surprise me) then i have two options:
    1) do a more effective watercooling job which makes the server effectively 2U
    2) don't watercool it
    3) still try and get it watercooled as 1U

Last edited: 5 Sep 2005
  20. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

If you are going too put it in a rack I.e a hosting farm or something similar then fill it with 40mm fans it doesn't matter what the noise lvls are, at th emoemnt if its just running ont he desk just run it with the lid off and place a few low noice 120mm fans too cool it down a bit.

morgan.

Tags: