1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Connecting a MO Graphic LCD via I2C?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Makaijin, 15 Jun 2002.

1. Makaijin

Makaijin What's a Dremel?

I was just wondering, is it possible to connect a matrix orbital graphic LCD via I2C bus by using the SMBus connector on an Abit motherboard?
    Has anyone actually done this?
    It's just that my Epox 8k3a+ just died on me so i'm replacing it with a abit AT7-Max.
    As it's a legacy free board i was thinking of using the SMBus is it is essentially an I2C bus with some extensions so it should be compatible?

2. christiaanm

christiaanm What's a Dremel?

i have really no idea, :baby:

3. relix

relix Minimodder

If it's really an I²C bus than you should be able to attach 127 MO LCD's to it, but I doubt it. I think you'd better do a search on some forums for dudes who've tried using it.

4. Makaijin

Makaijin What's a Dremel?

Well, back then when i was searching on the Maxim IC's for making an on-die reader for the XP, the datasheets does mention that SMBus is an extension to I2C.
    When you don't have motherboards that have the SMBus headers on, you have to leech the sclk and sdata fropm the I2C bus from a stick of ram, as the BIOS uses the I2C to read the SPD off the ram.
    From this I'm assuming that the SMBus and I2C bus on the ram stick have to be connected.
    I'm thinking it should work, but i doubt that software like LCDC will communicate with it, unless someone comes out with a plug-in for it, or write one myself :sigh: