1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows AMD 3000+ venice enough for games??

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mickey123, 11 Sep 2005.

1. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

I have a shuttle, I'd really suggest not getting one for gaming unless you're prepared to sit next to a really noisy fan or mod the heck out of it.

I only use mine for a general email/chat/browser box, but when doing any gaming the fan ramps right up and it's noisy as anything. I also don't think the shuttle motherboards are great overclockers if you go for the 3000+.

If you're prepared to spend that sort of cash I'd go for the 3000+ and spend the spare cash on good cpu cooling and a decent case then overclock, or I'd get the 3500+ and run it at stock in a cheapish case.

Don't get me wrong, I love my shuttle, but without a lot of modding for cooling I wouldn't use it for games.

My 1p

- Steelez

2. mickey123

mickey123 What's a Dremel?

Hello steelez,

I am aware that the two worsed things about a shuttle are noise and the lack of overclocking.

I hear the shuttle can sound like a hoover sometimes! The only way I can find out if I can put up with that is to have one though and see for my self.

My PC if for the front room and so I cant really have a huge case as they look unsightly IMO.

I currenly have the norm tower (IE 4x CD/DVD bays 3 x 2.5 bays and room for 6 million terra bites of hard drives :duh: )
    Since I started using PCs around 10 years ago Ive never had more than 1 CD/DVD drive and a floppy (no not me my PC :eyebrow: Honest)

All the rest of the tower is a complete waste of space and it gets on my nerves that its the size of a 5 story dolls house.

I am not sure how good an alternative a micro ATX is compared to a shuttle but again these seem to have multi DVD drive space etc etc.

If you can recommend a good go between Ill gladly look it up as water coolong and overclocking really appeal to me.

Thanks fot the tip off mate.

Anyone else share this view IE shuttle for games is unbarable (spelling :duh: ) re noise

Mickey :thumb:

3. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

If you're prepared to go as far as removing the grills from the back where the fan is and perhaps mounting a larger fan (depends on the model you're getting I would guess) you should be able to improve cooling and reduce noise while still keeping it nice and compact.

4. mickey123

SN25P is the shuttle I aim to buy

5. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

wow i cant believe there are still threads like this. People act like if you dont have the latest and greatest or at least the generation you are SOL. I still run an AMD XP 3000+ with 1Gb of Kingston HyperX and a Geforce 5700LE and There hasnt been a game i cant play with all the details on high or at worst medium with a few barely noticable things turned off. Having that said my roomate runs a nearly identical setup with a XP 2700+ and is in the same spot as me. So naturally i think just about any 64 bit will do just fine provided you have decent ram and a video card to match it. It just depends on what games you want to play and at what unnoticeable amount of detail you want to play it.

6. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

I run a 2500+ at 3000+ speeds oc, 1gb ram, 6800 none GT and still not had issues with current games.

But you can bet if I was buying a new PC today it wouldn't be what I have now.

I think we are on the threshold of a big change with 64bit, dual core etc. Personally I am holding off upgrading as long as I can so I can be up there when Vista hits the shelves.

I think we are probably in the biggest change in recent times (last few years) and now isn't the time to upgrade unless you really need to or you aren't a big gamer.

Future-proofing requires a big spend right now.

7. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

I know I am definately upgrading before the end of the year. The PC I am currently saving/buying/designing for the last month will (money permiting) be built by the end of the year. Now by no means is my current PC lacking (except for my video card) but I really feel that to fully enjoy the new wave of games and programs, an upgrade is warrented. The F.E.A.R. Demo ran at low resolution and low everything at a blazing 18 FPS. Not good. HL-2 runs decent, but no eye candy.

As Steelez said, future-proofing will require a big spend, but I am willing to shell out the cash (even though I don't have it :lol: ). And besides, having the fastest PC out of all my friends will make them pee their pants with envy :D

8. Elextrik

Elextrik What's a Dremel?

Your processor would last, but in about 2 years with the new games.. you might need a better one, i'd suggest the 3500+. Great video card though!

9. mickey123

Hey dudes :D

Thanks for all the replies. Its great to hear how others do things.

I have a friend who gets the latest everything and becasuse it wasnt the latest in 6 months he would sell it to me (normally after a few choice words IE your cpu seems to be bottlenecking or 2GB ram, I cant see how:)

I am too tight to get the latest and best. I prefer tech that is around 6 months old anyhow as its normally lost its buzz price hyping factor yet is still new enough to be quick.

Im only going for a 7800 as I have my new monitior otherwise it would be 6800gt all the way.
    I want to try gaming at ultra high res.

Thanks again

Mickey

10. Yohji

Yohji What's a Dremel?

I have a 3000 Venice, OCd to 2.0GHz. I run HL2/CS:S at 100+ fps with my 6600Gt at stock, so it's fine for gaming :D

11. mickey123

Hello Yohji

Im getting a shuttle and there not the best overclockers so overclocking is something I cant count on.

Mickey

12. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

what ever you go with there are always going to be things you have to be aware of. Like for example with a shuttle you could experience major lockups to minor bugs and hicups that may be a result of dust buildup and poor ventilation. Ive seen quite a few suttles stuffed in the corner of a desk to be out of view that would over heat and run like crap. So if you put anything extra into it make sure you let it get the nice fresh air it needs :D (if you are handy with a dremel i would suggest some nice fan grills and strategicly placed blow holes for fans.

Tags: