1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First-Look: Dell XPS 600

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 15 Sep 2005.

1. TechM

TechM What's a Dremel?

The case is just a bog-standard Precision 620 desktop server case painted silver with a few decals on it... Personally I think the regular black version looks cooler.

Also, I don't know about this model but the door on the front of the 620 that covers the drives is very flimsy. I hope this one is a little more robust.

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Dell marketing: 'we will take our normal case, paint it silver and put some LEDs in the front so it glows, then we'll sell it to gamers' :idea:

Its a nice case, I've seen a few at work in black... a bit on the small side inside, but being all 120mm fans is great for cooling/silence.

3. JonDixon

JonDixon Decking is the new modding

Been and priced up the dual card version on their site, and blimey its expensive and that was without the monitor.

You could pretty much buy the individual components at retail and hit their price. At £2600 you think they could at least bundle office with it rather than works.

So much for their buying power or does this pc have a higher markup for them than their £300-£500 offerings

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Does this suffer from the usual Dell problem though of having a custom designed mobo, PSU and locked BIOS?.....

If so, its a fixed non upgradeable box as nothing but Dell parts will fit inside it....may not be a problem now but in 12-18mths when you want to upgrade your screwed....

5. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

You could buy the parts for retail at a bit over half the cost, I'm sure...just like an alienware system.

Dell puts a very high markup on these 'enthusiast machines', because selling a few of these has to make up for the lack of contribution margin for the ones that they sell at deeper discounts. Though I'd be willing to bet they also aren't getting nearly the discounts on these parts that they do on celerons, etc, which they sell by the thousands daily. These computers don't have as big of a market to begin with...they're just here to 'fill out' the line so people who are comfortable with the dell name can buy a fast computer for home, as well as cheap computers for work. And for people with less computing knowledge, being able to buy a high-end system with the support that dell provides may well be a tipping point to get them to do it.

6. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Its ok for a Dell.

I wouldnt really call it an enthusiast pc, all enthusiast should be able or should learn how to build there own systems and either that or pay a mate to build one (hate off shelf desktops). For a multimillion dollar business its a poor effort tbh, people say that off the shelf pc's are cheaper than building your own, but if you were to buy the same grade stuff im sure you could knock off quite a bit, its all bog standard/oem bits... Maybe summin you guys could do, try and build a cheaper faster system using similar components.

Is it just me or has ATX form factor had its last day a long time ago, theres just no room in newer sytems without having a huuge case.

My parents know the guy who started Dell, he flogged it quite early tho as he needed money, bet hes kickin himself now :duh: (still a rich git tho)

7. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

wow thats one sexy video card :jawdrop: but what what... why have they used a non norm psu :wallbash: but not for me unless you can get that video card oem :D

8. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Doesn't look BTX to me.

9. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

TBH don't you void the warrenty if you open the case anyway, so why make it neat inside if you not going too see it, come on you just spent £2,500 why open it unless your nuts and or too much money too burn.

IMO id get a Dell over any Voodoo or Alienware as there returns and help/support is far supior then any other company.

Morgan.

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

It's not. I suppose the cooling module or whatever is along those principles, but all of their systems use that.

MDK - I don't think so. Back before I found newegg, I replaced my own DVD drive (oooohhhh!) that was sent by Dell. They offered to send someone to do it, but I'm like "uhh, I'm not a retard, I can handle it" no problem. Of course the drive in question wasn't in the dell case, so it was probably for the better. In fact, the drive wasn't even in it's own case...

11. lord nicon21

warrenty warrenty :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: whats that

12. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

As said earlier, I used one of their dual 1.3ghz Xeons, with the same clamshell type case. I have to agree the inside looks like a pit of hot death, a much cleaner install would've been nice, i'm curious as to the performance of the thing. I would rather build my own simply because it'd be easier to do a much cleaner install.

13. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I guess we have to remember that Dell is just starting in this field. It's easy to build a one off system like this if you have the money, but they are building to a budget and being Dell, will be producing in quantity.

No doubt they will learn as they go along.

14. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

BTX? nope it'll be a shitey dell custom power supply that will cost 4 times as much as a usual one to buy when it's out of warrenty.
    Dell great if you know nothing about computers - suck the big one if you do.
    Messiest insides EVER.

15. roboBOT

roboBOT What's a Dremel?

I think it's funny how Dell puts all those nice, expensive parts in the computer and then goes and uses DDR2-533 memory. That thing begs for some nice OCZ enhanced-latency DDR2-800.

16. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

Its because thats how they make even more a profit. Right now the average consumer only knows what makes a game better..A NICE graphics card and a NICE CPU. Tell a person what RAM Does, let alone whats better, and they wont know a thing. Same thing with the PSU, Mobo, HD's, and cables. These things people dont know which is better and dell can get away with putting crappy components with a decent cpu and a decent videocard and the people will be like,"WOW! Thats a crazy good computer because it has a Pentium D and a Gforce 7800GTX! OMG!!!"

17. bniyazov

bniyazov What's a Dremel?

just got dell xps600

Just got my dell xps600 computer, as soon as i started the computer, dell logo comes up and it stays there, seems like, computer freezes at the dell logo. After many reboots, i finally get past dell logo, but then black screen comes up with the blinking cursor on the upper left hand corner. I was with dell support for 2 days over the phone, they had me open up the box, took out the ram, had me flash bios. They also had me unplug and plug back in sata cable from the hard drive. They dont know what it is, so they just gave up and will be sending a new pc.

Overall experience with this computer is very disapointing. Perhaps somebody out there might know what the problem might be.

18. lord nicon21

Tags: Add Tags