1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Dualmaster

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by coolmiester, 22 Sep 2005.

1. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Project: Dualmaster - 22 September

Well here i am again with a new Wavemaster case and a whole bunch of hardware to try and squeeze in it so without further ado let the :dremel: commence :D

Actually it's been a long time in the planning stages but i had planned on using a larger Coolermater ATC S4000 SX but figured that would be way to easy :blah:

I'm starting to think i might of bitten off more than i can chew trying to shoe-horn everything into a Wavemaster though, especially once i saw the size of the motherboard but it should be good fun trying and i like a bit of a challenge :D

The plan is to fit dual dual core Opterons and dual Sli cards hence the name Dualmaster and just to make things even more difficult the Sli slots are only 41mm apart and i'm planning on using 2x NV-68's to cool them :eyebrow: but more of that at a later stage.............i've got to try and make everything fit first.

BTW, i must give a big thanks to Vadim Computers for having the 265 Dual Core Opterons flown in direct from europe which literally only took a couple of days and also supplying the Tyan K8WE motherboard................top quality service that i would recommend to anyone :thumb:

I've only just started so not a lot done but on with some pictures anyway!

Starting off with a standard blue Wavemaster
    [​IMG]

...and a matching blue BIX (it won't be mounted in the top this time)
    [​IMG]

So first of all stripped it naked :eeek:
    [​IMG]

and covered the top with masking tape to protect the paintwork
    [​IMG]

The plan is to cut along the red lines which will take out all the hard drive and floppy cage
    [​IMG]

I'm not a big fan of dremels but managed to get quite a clean cut with it but the last bit i had to use a hacksaw blade
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway thats the first side cut out
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So time to see if things are going to fit..........first the rad.......yip that fits
    [​IMG]

and then the Tyan K8WE motherboard.........BIG innit :D
    [​IMG]

That's all for tonight...........i'm off for a cold beer :eek:

2. coolmiester

Anyway.......quick update.

I've already done a run through on how to mod a Laing DDC Pump to 1/2" but this one is a bit different so will add it to the log anyway :D

The pictures speak for themselves really but i'll do a running commentary best i can between pics (and there's quite a lot of them so be warned)

Started off by demmeling out the centre section
    [​IMG]

but this time once the hole was drilled used a 9/16" UNF tap
    [​IMG]

so the Danger Den Hi-Flow barb screwed in like so!
    [​IMG]

Then filled it up with 2 part Araldite and left it to go hard..the glue that is :D
    [​IMG]

I also cut the thread from another DD barb and glued that on the out-let as well
    [​IMG]

Now for the fun part. Filled the top of the pump with 2 part body filler...
    [​IMG]

....just like icing a cake :D
    [​IMG]

Then sanded it down with ruff sand paper and filled the low spots with more filler.
    [​IMG]

Filled and sanded a couple of times then moved on to smother wet n dry paper till all the imperfections were gone
    [​IMG]

Masked the barbs off
    [​IMG]

then a couple of coats of primer followed by a light sand with 2000 grit wet n dry
    [​IMG]

After the primer, gave it 5 coats of the closest metallic blue paint i could find that matched the rest of the case and also chopped the mounting lugs off the bottom bit of the pump and gave that a few coats of aluminium paint
    [​IMG]

The colour is not an exact match but near as dammit
    [​IMG]

And finally along side a standard Laing DDC
    [​IMG]

Sorry for all the pics ;)

3. coolmiester

As you can see i got the other side of the hard drive cage cut out which really makes the front end of the case quite weak
    [​IMG]

but i'm using angle aluminium bolted to the remaining chassis to mount the rad which will strengthen things up again hopefully.
    [​IMG]

and in place it fits well
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rad bolted into place with 2x Noiseblocker fans attached and the motherboard in place it becomes apparent just how little room there is but it all seems to fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. coolmiester

Dry Run

Just doing a dry run to see how to route the hose and make a decision on what res to use.

I'm edging towards a Fass-O-Matic at present but not 100% sure yet.

[​IMG]

5. coolmiester

Wet Run

Well i ended up going for my res of choice in the end.......the Bay-Res which will keep the top of the case looking standard and i'll actually be able to use the usb's etc in the flip up lid which will make a change.

Anyway, got it filled with deionised water and added a little UV dark blue dye to match the colour of the case which look nice :D

No matter how many times i do this its always a relief when nothing leaks :eek:

Its been running now for a couple of hours and all air is out........flow rate is great

Time to start putting things back together :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and the DVD writer will be swapped out for an aluminium front one

6. coolmiester

Well bit of an update...

I decided to install everything standard ie PSU and HD etc just incase there were any RMA's that needed making which turned out to be totally straight forward......well apart from a bios flash to version 1.1 on the Tyan m/b so it recognised the new Dual Core Opterons but apart from that not one single problem. i realise now why Nexxo has been running dual CPU's....this thing is so stable and cool.........CPU-1 22 degrees CPU-2 21 degrees but i would expect this to rise once the front end of the case is in place (which will block air flow to the rad) and i start to stress them a bit:)

Anyway, pulled everything back out and had to slightly mod the PSU so it fitted properly but nothing major and then added a Nexus fan controller...

In its standard form
    [​IMG]

but as it wasn't going into a drive bay it had to come to bits:)
    [​IMG]

I've mounted it this way before to the Fliyin Banana but here goes again...first mask the top of the case off again to protect it
    [​IMG]

mark out where to drill the holes
    [​IMG]

and drill
    [​IMG]

then is just a case of deburring the holes, fastening the controller into place using the nuts
    [​IMG]

and adding the silver knobs!
    [​IMG]

This is the first case i've been able to use the flip up USB thingy due to fitting rads into the other three
    [​IMG]

While i had everything back out of the case i LED moded all the blocks and fitted 3mm LED to them all which kinnda looks nice so i'll finish with a few pictures of them fitted and lit up............i've now got to read up on how to set the BIOS up properly as there is some stuff like "Hammer Configuration" that's all a bit new to me and really want to get the best from this system, not surprisingly
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. coolmiester

Thanks to a guy called Shroedinger on another forum i managed to get the Bios set-up correctly

for anyone like me who needed a little help with the Hammer Config on the Tyan Board
    Can't thank Shroedinger enough :cool:

Got hooked up to the net and d/loaded SP2 etc things are much better :)

Sandra 05 CPU Arithmetic Benchmark 30256
    clicky
    [​IMG]

Sandra 05 CPU Multi-Media Benchmark 68050
    clicky
    [​IMG]

I'm going to try the threaded rods like i originally tried >>here<< to see if that might straighten out the bottom card as you can see from the screeny of nTune the GPU-1 is 48 degrees and GPU-2 is at 68 degrees which is still well within limits but needs sorting out......both CPU's are nice and cool though :)

Basically what has happened when i clamped the connecter hose its squashed it so the 10mm gap increased to 12mm :duh:

Anyway a list of current spec...

Coolermaster Wave Master - Blue
    Tyan K8WE (S2895) Dual Opteron DDR400 SLI
    2x AMD Opteron 265 dual core SKT 940 Retail (1.8Ghz-0.9nm-2Mb)
    4x 512MB OCZ DDR PC-3200 ECC Registered / Dual Channel
    2x Sli Gainward 6800 Ultra Golden Samples
    Enermax EG851-AX-VH 660W ATX2.0 SLi Compliant
    Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA 8MB Cache
    Pioneer DVR-109XLS 16 x 16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter

2x Danger Den TDX A64 Blocks
    2x Danger Den NV-68 Blocks
    Black Ice Extreme II
    2x NoiseBlocker Fans on Nexus Controller
    Danger Den Bay-Res
    Modded Laing DDC Pump
    Danger Den Hose

nTune monitor
    [​IMG]

Now i can get back to getting the case in order :)

8. coolmiester

Well now the BIOS seems to be set up and everything is running silky smooth it was time to move onto getting the rest of the case sorted out....

Its been seen three times before but its always nice to keep a record of it so here goes with the window mod :)

Starting of with covering the side panel with masking tape
    [​IMG]

and using the template from the Ventmaster
    [​IMG]

to draw the outline of the window
    [​IMG]

and then using the biggest drill bit my drill can take i drilled a starter hole for the jig-saw
    [​IMG]

and here it is cut out and ready to mask up for paint.
    [​IMG]

Just a couple of wafts of primer as i didn't want to build up to much paint
    [​IMG]

which would create a build up between the masking tape ant the metal so it this is what it looked like close up after primer.
    [​IMG]

Didn't take long for the primer to go off in this weather so straight onto the blue which was the same paint i used for the pump
    [​IMG]

which isn't an exact match but close enough as its just the very edge that's being painted.
    [​IMG]

Once that had dried.....flipped it over and added double sided sticky around the edge....
    [​IMG]

...and added a mirror window which is basically the same used on car screens from Halfords (UK car shop)
    [​IMG]

And there you have it......i'll get the whole case machine polished in a couple of day and may even do another window as that mirror film is a nightmare to work with and ended up with a few bubbles:( but looks good all the same

BTW there bags of gravel in the reflection the my bro keeps dropping off here........don't ask - it'll get sorted im told:)
    [​IMG]

9. coolmiester

Nearly forgot........just a quick run through how the hard drive ended up getting mounted.

As the Tyan board is so large and extends into the drive bay area and there is nowhere else to mount the hard drive i had to do some quick thinking and came up with this little device that would keep the hard drive over to the left hand side (looking at the front of the case) but still be able to secure it to the right hand side so it wasn't just hanging.

Anyway i had some angle aluminium left over from making the radiator mounts so this is what i came up with.

After measuring up cut the angle aluminium into lengths....BTW i'm using a Maxtor HD for fitting as its a lot less expensive if it got dropped:)
    [​IMG]

Drilled and tapped a few holes
    [​IMG]

....drilled some more
    [​IMG]

and fastened them together with stainless steel hex bolts with lock nuts
    [​IMG]

and the other side
    [​IMG]

More drilling tapping and fastening :)
    [​IMG]

until it was ready to do a trial run to mark the final to holes which lined up once it was in place
    [​IMG]

And finally it was ready to mount to the hard drive...the Raptor this time!
    [​IMG]

Fits like a glove
    [​IMG]

and nobody will be none the wiser :)
    [​IMG]

10. coolmiester

Well finally got the Dualmaster finished so loads of pictures :D

Managed to squeeze in a blue Matrix Orbital to one of the 5.25 bays and managed to scratch the bezel while cutting the hole out but apart from that and replacing the mirror window (don't try fitting that stuff when its hot :duh: )

One day i'll get round to removing the cards and try and get them straightened up but its certainly not causing a problem so its staying like it is for now :D

Dualmaster System Spec:

Coolermaster Wave Master - Blue
    Tyan K8WE (S2895) Dual Opteron DDR400 SLI
    2x AMD Opteron 265 dual core SKT 940 Retail (1.8Ghz-0.9nm-2Mb)
    4x 512MB OCZ DDR PC-3200 ECC Registered / Dual Channel
    2x Sli Gainward 6800 Ultra Golden Samples
    Enermax EG851-AX-VH 660W ATX2.0 SLi Compliant
    Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA 8MB Cache
    Pioneer DVR-109XLS 16 x 16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter

2x Danger Den TDX A64 Blocks
    2x Danger Den NV-68 Blocks
    Black Ice Extreme II
    2x NoiseBlocker Fans on Nexus Controller
    Danger Den Bay-Res
    Modded Laing DDC Pump
    Danger Den Hose

Anyway on with some (lots) pictures and a couple of family shots for the album :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. coolmiester

Bit of an update here.

Didn't realise but the closing date for round two of the Coolermaster Modding Competition is September 11th so i had to get something sorted.

Still haven't received prizes from round one but had enough Coolermaster gear kicking about to meet the criteria so it looks like i'll have to submit this one for stage two!

Anyway........the system ran great with the side panel off but temps started to creep up when it was on as the front rad was lacking cool air so decided to vent each side panel with some silver aluminium mesh which certainly does the job.

A few pictures which are self explanatory really and finishes the case off at least so it can be entered into the comp...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Received prizes from Coolermaster for winning round one which was nice of them - Got through round two also so waiting for that stuff to arrive plus some other bits and bobs to start work on the final stage.

[​IMG]

12. coolmiester

13. akanekal

akanekal What's a Dremel?

Hi, Can you give me a link to or the name of the mirror window thing from halfords please..... good work btw looks good! :clap:
    Amit

14. coolmiester

The name on the packaging is

www.trillogyltd.com

Trillogy Ltd
    Car Styling
    Tingewick Road Ind Park
    Buckingham
    MK181SU

Tel: 44 (0) 1280 822865
    Fax: 44 (0) 1280 822735

Not much to see on the site but it was bought from a local Halfords car accessory shop

http://www.halfords.com/

15. Brabus Freak

Brabus Freak What's a Dremel?

Hi mate,

Can you post some close ups from the led mod for the danger den nv68 blocks? Want to do the same :)

16. coolmiester