Windows HL2 and HDR

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Pookeyhead, 25 Sep 2005.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

HDR was one of the things I was looking forward to in HL2 when I got my new GPU.. I've enabled it in the options menu, but to be honest, I can't say it looks any different. Is there something else I need? A patch? Steam updated last night, and I'm assuming anything I need for the game will arrive via Steam also.

???

Cheers

2. markit

markit What's a Dremel?

Half Life 2 doesn't have HDR, Lost Coast will showcase HDR when it is released. Valve have already stated that they will not convert HL2 to HDR

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I wonder why it's an option in the settings then... must just be for when Lost Coast is released I suppose.

BTW... can I have HDR and AA at teh same time? I know you can't in Far Cry.

4. sheardjr

sheardjr Minimodder

Last edited: 31 Jan 2013
  5. Tim S

Tim S OG

They're doing HDR in a different way - not using an FP16 blend like they do in Far Cry. :)

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Short answer - yes, the HL2 form of HDR WILL allow for FSAA and HDR to be on simultaneously.

CSS maps are going to be recompiled with HDR support? Where'd you hear that? I mean, sweet, but I heard it's basically "DOD:S is the first game we're making to support HDR, everything in future will but we're not redoing anything"

7. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

I don't have any official comment from Valve on any recompile of CSS for HDR, mainly because nobody (including me) thought to ask them at the recent press day in Seattle :sigh:

Personally, I think it's possible or even likely. They won't be doing Half-Life 2, the single player game, because it's nearly a year old now, and would be too much work. However CSS is an on-going product... at the minimum, it may be enabled for future maps.

I'll see what I can find out from Valve in a few hour when they wake up. But otherwise, DoD: Source is TODAY, and definitely has it :hip:

Last edited: 26 Sep 2005
  8. sheardjr

sheardjr Minimodder

Last edited: 31 Jan 2013
Tags: