1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows HDR is great...for a single player game -_-"

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gunblade, 27 Sep 2005.

1. Gunblade

Gunblade The Frugal Chef

I just wanted to know what some of you guys think. With the Bit-Tech article boasting just how used they are to HDR now and what not.

How many of you actually have HDR on?

I know that after playing a couple of rounds of DOD:S the game did look "Pretty" but it was not practical when looking at a window or building and it is GLOWING !!!

HDR is awsome but in DOD:S I don't have time to stop and look at the beauty . It also gets in the way like I said, a perfect example is looking through a door way and it looks like a gateway to heaven you can't really see much.

In real life, it is NEVER like that. This HDR is like super-bloom to me. Cement doesn't glow when the sun is shining c'mon....

I play without HDR simply because I am able to see the enemy better and I do get better FPS for the most part. Plus it looks alot more gritty without the HDR a more WWII look and feel. I like how Brothers in Arms earned in blood incorperated HDR it was pretty much the sky only, your gun did not glow nor did everything to much.

I sure use it in HL2 and can't wait for lost coast though. I wonder what kind of effect HDR would have on BF2...I am thinking I would have the same complaint as I am having with DOD:S's implementation of it.

Just another Q...can only people with GeForce 6 cards and higher use HDR?

2. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Actually, when i was coming back home in the car the other day i noticed that the slightly wet road i was on was blooody bright(glowing) it was actually difficult to look ahead, i had to squint all the way along that stretch.
    Just wish i could've turned HDR off in options!

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

:rock: :hehe: :hehe:

4. SECRETCOMMANDO

SECRETCOMMANDO What's a Dremel?

You shouldn't think of it as trying to emulate the way light is in the real world. It is far more like the glossy sheen you have on hollywood action movies. It doesn't look "real" just "nice" :worried:

I haven't tried DOD - Source yet but doesn't having HDR as an option in a multiplayer game give some a handycap? I mean if it obscures your view that much you could be at a disadvantage to those who aren't using it. They might be able to see you clearly when you can't see them well at all.
    If that was your original point then I agree. :)

5. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

tbh i think it does look pretty good, maybe you'r graphics arnt showing the full potential or something along the lines of that. loooking out my windows now one side of a block of flats is brighter that the side hidden by the sun (obviusly)
    I think they've done a great job on DOD:S, You dont have to stop to see how good it looks.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Sorry if realism is affecting your gameplay and making it more... realistic. Try ducking behind a box to avoid being shot by a Magnum. Ain't gonna help in the slightest... those'll go through about a solid foot of wood and keep on smiling.

I agree. I've only played for about five minutes, and remembered how much I suck at DOD, but agree it's stunning. And much better than the HDR in Farcry, which just never seemed to work right for me. I never played Chaos Theory with it off but it was well-executed, so I can't make a real comparison.

7. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

I downloaded the Serious Sam 2 demo and didn't notice the HDR even though it was on in the options. It might not have been implemented in the demo, but if it was then I couldn't tell a difference when I switched it off.

Do we actually need HDR though? Looking at the HL2 shots in the it Tech articles, the skies look a bit more realistic with it, but glowing walls?

8. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

the walls dont "glow" all the time, its one of them things you have to try to understand I suppose.

9. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

I understand that the glow recedes after your "eyes" get used to it, but how long does this take? I guess I just need to see it in the flesh.

10. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

not long at all, I think you can change how long it lasts for but its not like a blinding effect :) if thats what you were thinking.
    I'd make a video but my webhost is down atm.

11. Gunblade

Gunblade The Frugal Chef

I am not going for super realism I would play WWII Online or Red Orchestra for that.

The HDR is awsome I can see why I would love it in HL2. But it's implementation in DOD:S is not executed well, so far all my DOD playing friends and people on servers have been in agreement that it's awsome. But not effective in this game.

I really wish though the sky had HDR in the game and not so much everything else.

I really could not handle my gun looking like it was dumped in a tub of varnish before using it in-game XD !

12. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I think it should have a few more options for example HDR for only sky or HDR only for map or both or all off etc.

I haven't seen it in the flesh because I can't be bothered to download it with Steam and my computer is probably too crap to play it anyway. From what I can see from screenshots of the HDR technology it does look really awesome, we are getting closer and closer to realistic graphics.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I know what you mean by trying to get the best in terms of gaming performance instead of all the visuals on full.
    For example in CS 1.6 I used to put all details on low on graphics card, set the resolution to lowest so I could achieve constant 100+fps and the head would appear bigger etc etc with the sacrifice of image quality.

However, now I am a different type of gamer and I don't play seriously at all anymore and enjoy games so I would go for HDR.

Tags: