1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serial ATA problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by korben, 27 Sep 2005.

1. korben

korben What's a Dremel?

Here we go again....I've searched the forum, but not found answers that could help me.

On my upstairs PC, I've got one 120G Western Dig IDE drive (boot disk) and one 180G Seagate Serial ATA.

All was working fine until I needed more space, so I bought and installed a 250G Samsung Serial ATA drive.

Suddenly my Seagate is nowhere to be found.

I've tried removing the new drive and running the original setup, but the old SATA drive is not there.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: 28 Sep 2005
  2. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Check all your plug connections, refit everything, check your RAID settings (make sure they're ALL disabled), and try the seagate on another SATA channel/plug. Hope that helps :thumb:

3. Comg33k

Comg33k What's a Dremel?

maybe check the hd jumpers?

4. korben

korben What's a Dremel?

I don't need to set Slave/Master jumpers on Serial ATA drives, do I?

5. Comg33k

Comg33k What's a Dremel?

if the drive is on slave from a previous configuration then maybe.

I have a SATA controller and it has two SATA ports for two SATA cables, and only one IDE port for one IDE cable. I was thinking "Why in the hell do they have two SATA ports when there's only one IDE cable?" Then I realized if you use the slave on the IDE cable to the SATA controller, then the second SATA port could be used for the slave on the IDE cable. It's the only logical explanation I could of think of for that second SATA port on the controller. that might not help but hey it's worth a shot.

Check the bios settings about your SATA ports to see if anything is disabled. Try the new hard drive in the SATA port that you had the other hd in for the new setup. Despite the fact that bios should detect both hd's no matter what or at least the SATA bios should (Are you using an SATA controller like me?).

6. korben

korben What's a Dremel?

I've checked the BIOS, and the SATA controlled is enabled.

After about ten attempts, I have now been able to get the old SATA drive to appear again, but only when I disconnected the new drive.

The Abit NF7-s has an onboard SATA controller, not an expansion card, and there are two ports available.

The IDE channels also have to connectors, with the traditional Master/Slave options. I'm running the system drive on one Master and the DVD on the other.

I also tried removing the DVD but that made no difference...I'm struggling to figure out what to do here... :wallbash:

7. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

SATA drives don't have jumpers, so no.

Most likely, this is a BIOS setting problem. SATA is very finnicky :)

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It'll be a BIOS setting. SATA BIOS settings are unnecessarily awkward. Play about with them till you find it.

9. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

It's not exactly clear what you mean to say, but its definately not correct.

Master/slave is ONLY used to differentiate two PATA devices on the same cable. It has no other purpose. SATA has no use for master/slave as each SATA device is on an independent cable.

The problem is either a bad cable/connection (reseat and move cables) or you might just be asking too much from your PSU. I suppose it could be a BIOS setting as well, but I can’t imagine how that made your original HD disappear for good.

10. korben

korben What's a Dremel?

Could the PSU be the problem?

My system:

Athlon XP 2000+
    ATI AIW 9800
    120GB Western Digital IDE
    180GB Seagate Barracuda SATA
    250GB Samsung Spinpoint SATA
    Lite-On DVD-RW

The PSU is an Antec TruePower 380W.