1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding My Idea for an Acrylic Cyclinder Reservior

Discussion in 'Modding' started by semicycle, 12 Oct 2005.

1. semicycle

semicycle What's a Dremel?

This may have been done before, but I'd like a couple ideas on what everyone thinks.

I'm making a Cylinder Reservior, and I want to have one of the following runing through the middle from top to bottom:

1)A solid Acryclic Rod with LEDs on the top and the bottom so light shines out from the middle of the res.

2)A Hollow center for Acrylic res so a Cathod tube can be mounted in the middle and shine outward.

I'm leaning towards option Number 2.

I'm not a CAD expert at all, but I put this together to give a visual of what I'm trying to do.

http://members.cox.net/semicycle/resprop.JPG

[​IMG]

2. semicycle

Man, I've been a member in these forums for almost 2 years and I've looked around (almost Weekly) but these are my first 2 posts :)

Last edited: 12 Oct 2005
  3. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Welcome to the forums man!.. that's a great idea.. my brother has been attempting something similar... he's buggered a few cathodes by drowning them in UV reactive water!!

Make it and make a log too :dremel:

4. semicycle

Which idea do you like the best? Which do you think would give off the best "light" though the liquid?

5. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

the cathode one..

6. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

I would also take the cathode option, I think it'll spread the light better.

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

If you sand the acrylic rod, you should get pretty good diffusion with the LED method. More even with the cathode in theory as well, but it's far less necessary. Personally I'd try the LED method as they're safer, smaller, run cooler and use less power.

I'm sure both have been done before (I've seen the cathode done with a UV cathode and UV green dye, it pwns) and look great. It's really just a matter of availability, preference, and what your goals are. Also keep in mind that with a cathode you're limted to really just two different res lengths: 4" and 12". LEDs give you an inch to a yard and everywhere in between, if you were so inclined to make a res that freakin' small or large.

8. semicycle

Thanks for the reply. 2 to 1 so far. I'd like to make this res a minimum of 12" long. Here are the parts I've priced out: ( everything from US Plastics)

12"x24"x1/4" Acrylic Sheet
    Sheet for Res top and Bottom
    1 Piece - $9.28 each

5"OD x 4 1/2"ID - 44563
    Rod for Res
    6' - $14.43 per foot

3/4"ID x 5/8"OD - 44025
    Hollow Rod for Res Cathod
    6' - $0.37 per foot

5/8" Clear Extruded Acrylic Rod - 44657
    Solid Rid for LED method
    6' - $0.74 per foot

1"OD x 3/4"ID - 44030
    Rod for Res Input and output
    6' - $0.95 per foot

As you can see, everything is pretty cheap, except for the 5"OD part. Going with this one with 1/4" walls instead of the cheaper one with 1/8" walls doubled the price per foot.

Anyone know of a place that doesn't make you buy 6' sections?

9. Armand-[79th]

Armand-[79th] Vintage modder

Personally, I would go with the cathode.. It will look much better.
    Just as long as you take your time and plan carefully it should go without a hitch, or a bang..!

As for the 6' sections.. I can get them to size, but I'm in UK. :)