1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Just got my dremel, what now ?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by flapietoetoe, 15 Oct 2005.

1. flapietoetoe

flapietoetoe What's a Dremel?

I just got my dremel as a present for my birthday... (a real one)
    and what shall i do now to practice and get to know the thing.

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Get some metal or plastic and practice shapes, complicated corners etc. Of your favourite cartoon character or whatever?

3. flapietoetoe

I got a pretty complete package with my
    lithium-ion cordless, any accesorys i might still want?

4. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

cordless, eh? i would suggest charging it fully, then seeing how long it takes to die, either by cutting and sanding some random objects, or by simply turning it on and leaving it until the battery dies. just so you get a feel of how long youve got with it. i do that with drills, so i know how long i can drill for approximately.

5. doryakov

doryakov What's a Dremel?

at first make your works on old case and after you know it well make a window on your case and things like that .

6. flapietoetoe

How do you make these round shapes with a cutting blade , because i cant make pretty round shapes?

7. Bullitdodger

Bullitdodger If it ain't broke....Tweak it.

Patience and practice....... :dremel:

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

First step: BUY PROTECTIVE GOGGLES.

Second step: BUY DUST MASK

Dremels often involve up-close work. When one of those tiny sanding disks or drills breaks, the splinters can fly everywhere. And when you grind or drill metals, you don't want to breathe in the dust/splinters either.

This point is so important, that the dremel smiley wears protective goggles also: --> :dremel:

9. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

If the kit you bought didn't come with one, I'd suggest a FlexiShaft... [​IMG]

Also... treat yourself to some diamond cutting discs/cut-off wheels (Dremel part no = 545)... [​IMG]

Whilst they're a lot more expensive that the standard discs... they last a lot longer, so can actually work out cheaper in the long run :cooldude: And there's much less chance of them shattering in use :eeek:

10. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

SEXY! I need some diamond edged disks. umm, I got my dremmel and I started cutting plexi <-- did not work. then I tried sanding it <-- did not work. then I tried cutting steel <-- worked at a loss of cutoff wheels.

do whatever you want, hack up a spare case, put a window in a piece of steel.

as for circular shapes you'll wanto to stay inside your lines (measure twice cut once) and just go slow, afterward you can work it over with a tung-carbide bit to get the edge you want. My big broblem when using small bits like that is they tend to dig into the material and I end up with a gouge in the project.

AND GO SLOW!!!!

happy b-day by the way

EDIT: ohh I bought a flex shaft for mine but some jerk cut off part of the packaging and stole the drive connector :grr:

11. lbreevesii

lbreevesii What's a Dremel?

12. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

My first experience with a Dremel, I actually just started a mod and figured out what worked best (bits/speeds) while going on the straight part, and had a good enough idea of how it worked to do the corners when I got there.

Just dig in!

- serial_

13. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

My answer: Return it and buy a jigsaw and power drill.

Rotary tools are really only good at etching. Other tasks are more suited for more powerful and reliable tools that don't require constant costly blade replacements.

14. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

I do agree that Jigsaws work a lot better for cutting case windows and stuff, I could not have done my Tux without one, well I COULD have, but i'd have been there for a year.

- serial_

15. zmodder

zmodder What's a Dremel?

now everyone tells me lol i cut my first window with teh dremen and dat ate discs quite fast i went they like 3 tubes haha but i also used force instead of speed back then, a jigsaw would of been much faster. But there were round edges so use of dremel was inevitable.

16. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

Yeh, I usually just use the jigsaw to cut, the dremel to touch it up/smooth it out. I think of my dremel more as a primping tool than a brute worker.

- serial_