1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Post Pictures of your speaker setup here

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by A3D, 24 Oct 2005.

1. A3D

A3D What's a Dremel?

:thumb: Ill have mine posted soon as i get my webcam drivers :duh:

2. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I only have old pictures, but I'll take some more tomarrow.

My source is a Sony SACDP
    My amp is a vintage Kenwood reciever
    My speakers are ultra-efficent BIC Venturi Formula 2

I'm planning to upgrade the crossovers soon.

I need a few suggestions -

Stands -
    Right now my speakers are sitting on the cabinets from broken Fisher speakers. One of them is on top of concrete, the other on carpet. The carpeted one has a Lazy Susan under it, because I haven't worked out a workshop speaker system yet and I can angle it to face the workshop. What are some good suggestions for stands that I can get in the US? DIY is good, and I don't want to spend more than $50 for the pair. I'm thinking making these but I don't know what is the best interface to use betweent speakers and stands and stands and floor.

While I'm at it, how about low wattage high quality simple DIY amps? I have several huge transformers. I only need 15wpc at most. I'm not even sure I need more than a few watts. On another forum, discussing T-Amp, they said that a T-Amp could drive 92db/1v/1m Athena speakers fine, and my BICs are VERY efficent. When I had my old 110wpc reciever that had a readout of my volume, I kept it at about -55db. My current reciever which is not all that powerful can drive them very loudly at 25% volume, and I think it's something like 35wpc. Anyone here ever built a Pass Zen or something similar and can offer advice?

3. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

[​IMG]

My modest (OK, let's go with crap) speaker system, on top of my wardrobe because it's the only place it'd fit in my tiny prison cell of a room. Mordaunt-Short MS902 Signature speakers, a Cambridge Audio A500 amp and a D100 CDP from them too. Also sourced off my PC, an Audiotrak Prodigy 5.1LT playing FLAC or OGG through Foobar and ASIO.

4. Altron

Altron Minimodder

The source rack, isolated from the ground. The thing in the middle is my viewsonic TV tuner with VGA outputs. It gets hot. While I suppose it is alright by their standards, being hot enough to be painful to touch is probably not good for the chip. First I cut a hole in the top over the chip. It was still really hot. Then I added in a fan. It was loud but cool. The problem was that the fan was running off my PC power supply and the fan vibrated against the box, causing problems. The metal box housing the tuner itself also got warm. Not as hot as the processing chip, but still warm. So I cut the entire top off and replaced it with clear arcrylic with a 50mm fan directly over the chip. The problem was that there were originally vents on the top and the arcrylic covered them, not to mention it made a lot of noise against the box. So I isolated it with a little open cell foam. It did a great job cooling it. Through experimentation I found that it was quieter with some weight on top, so I put a piece of foam with a small broken transformer on top. The green LED you see under the arcrylic is there for aesthetic and electrical purposes, it is in series with the fan and gives a 2v drop.

[​IMG]

My desk. Note the IBM Model M keyboard and 21" flat CRT. The CRT also serves as my TV for watching movies and stuff. The speakers are on either side, mounted on ghetto stands. The knob and switch on the speakers are for balance control. From top to bottom is a dome supertweeter, horn tweeter, and 8" alinco magnet woofer. There were supposedly grilles that can be velco'ed on, but I don't have them. Besides, the silver panel around the knobs, the white lettering, the black front, and the grey woofers all combine to make them really cool looking.

[​IMG]

5. banished

banished Necromodder

6. dom_

dom_ --->

thats home cinema though :p
    i would take this as more hifi
    edit: will post pics tomorrow

7. A3D

A3D What's a Dremel?

Well i finally got some pics,heres the setup
    Optimus stav-3470 Digital receiver :thumb:
    Altec Lansing computer speakers and bassbox :thumb:
    Two kick*** Bose 601's standin 3 1/2 ft tall :thumb:

I love this speaker setup the sound is unbelievable, I have the Altec lansings up on top of my computer cabinet along with the bass box,One of the 601's next to me and my desk and another in the back corner of my room :thumb:
    Here are th pics :)

The 601 next to my desk
    [​IMG][/IMG]

The Altec Lansings to the left up above me
    [​IMG]

The other 601 in the back corner of the room
    [​IMG]

Hope yall like it :thumb:

8. dom_

dom_ --->

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (yes i know the calender says september... just changed it :p )

9. A3D

A3D What's a Dremel?

Nice :thumb:

10. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

[​IMG]

Yep, my speaker at uni, the one and only.

11. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

Here are the speakers and sub... I built both of them.

Custom 15" Adire Tempest based sub, ported and tuned to 18hz, in a 10 cubic foot box. 360W amp crossed over at 40hz.

Exodus 261s +-3db from 23-20,000hz 89db, powered by a B&K st-202.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the wide shot you can see the projector I am making. Please excuse the mess, as I don't have a workshop so there are tools/junk all over. And the black paint REALLY shows finger prints and dust when the flash goes off.

12. A3D

A3D What's a Dremel?

Awesome setup you got their MaximumShow, That amp looks beastly. Must put out some serious sound huh? BTW did you also build the stand for that amp? Looks great.

13. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

Thanks for the compliment. I think you might be confusing the big black monolith as the amp. It is actually the sub woofer, which has a 360W amp built into it for self power. The amp for my speakers is not visible in those pics, but I will post one later.

And yes I did build the stand. :) Each one of the dowel legs has a piece of redi-rod through it for added strength. It is then bolted on both ends to make the stand really rigid.

14. A3D

A3D What's a Dremel?

Awesome, but does the sub put out as much bass when its lifted off the ground like that? If so i think i may try building some dowel stands for my speakers,

15. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

The reason that it's lifted off the ground is because it is a down firing sub. The actual sub driver is on the bottom. It basically just gives it room to "breathe". If you have a front firing sub then putting it on a stand probably wont do much good. :)