1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Is it a bad idea to cut acrylic with a dremel?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by N/A, 29 Oct 2005.

1. N/A

N/A What's a Dremel?

I'm just wondering if it is not a good idea to cut acrylic with a dremel.

Is some problem with frictional heat melting the plastic?

Is there some sort of bit that can advoid that?

Thanks

2. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

It all depends on how fast you will be cutting the plastic. A high speed will most likely melt acrylic.

3. N/A

N/A What's a Dremel?

So if I use low speed then it'll be okay?

4. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

too slow and you will be wasting time, too fast and it will melt. You can run it on medium and do small sections at a time (to let it cool down) but if you are doing straight cuts, I recoment scoring it and just breaking the acrylic on the line. If you score it deep and break it, you will get a nice straight cut and you wouldnt have to worry about it melting.

5. Navig

Navig What's a Dremel?

I've found dremels are really only useful for cutting in one situation: small rectangular holes (ie holes too small for a jigsaw and too rectangular for a drill/holesaw).

If you want to cut a straight length of acrylic, you can score and cut like above--I'd brace the scored edge with a block of metal or wood, or sometimes the brake will arc away from the score.

My preferred method for cutting plastic is with a jigsaw (>21 tpi blade) and a clamped straightedge or if you are practiced, a good eye and a steady hand.

navig

6. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

ive used a dremel for cutting acryllic before. only use it for small details, ive only used mine when cutting acryllic for a mouse window. dont use a dremel for cutting case window pieces. i use a jigsaw with a fine metal blade or you can score it and break it like dickh said. thats probably the best. so only use a dremel for tight curves or small complicated parts.

7. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

I used the attachment router like with the bit like a flat drill to cut 8 mm plexi and at mid/high speed it went like it was wood with chips flying all over, no melting :dremel:

Edit: that's the one :D (but diffrent bit, this one is for ceramic tiles)

[​IMG]

8. offroadracer789

offroadracer789 What's a Dremel?

i use a jig saw for long cuts, a dremel for smaller ones, then my scroll saw for small details.

I would buy some scrap acrylic and just mess around with it. Try using the different tools on it to see what suits your style the most. I use the fiber reinforced disks since they last a while.

ALWAYS wear eye protection, especially with plastics and metals. I had a piece of plastic barely miss my eye once. The plastic can get really hot when ur cutting it and will sometimes hit you. I cant emphasize this enough.

9. silent_project

silent_project What's a Dremel?

For large stuff a circular saw works just great

10. offroadracer789

offroadracer789 What's a Dremel?

What kind of blade can u use to cut plastic with circular saws?

I have heard of people using them, but i didn't know what blade to use. CAn i use a standard woodworking blade?