1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS soundcard review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 31 Oct 2005.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well I must ask, do any of the fancy AQ-improving features work if you're using something OTHER than creative's player?

Dunno, I've had enough unpleasant experiences with creative's driver and software set to last me a while I think.

2. macroman

macroman The One

Yes they do. I have had bad experiences with the Live! installation but Creative seem to have gotten their act together driver wise with the X-Fi.

3. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

LOL, same here, I hope they've got there act together on that front.

Considering an OEM version if there is any, if the price is right, I got some Sennheiser HD 580's to plug into it :)

Chances a lot of people buying this £170 card are going to be pluging in some crappy £100 pc speaker system, bit of a waste really :sigh:

4. jeff_vs

jeff_vs What's a Dremel?

Yes, but still haven't gotten their act together for us digital lovers. All this EAX surround BS only works if you are hooked up to the amp via the 3.5 mm mini jacks.

People like myself who run S/PDIF exclusively are left listening to whatever the amp can render from a digital stereo signal.

Why do I run S/PDIF optical exclusively? Simple, the amp is on the other side of the room from the computer. All this talk about noise floor and sound quality means nothing when you have to run it through 10 meters of cable.

Now, Turtle Beach hit the nail on the head with their Montego Card, by including Dolby Digital Live, real-time Dolby 5.1 encoding. That, and the output is on the back of the card, not on some add-on box.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/soundcards/mtgoddl/

I'd really like to get one of these, or to at least see how it fairs up against the Creative lineup. I'm guessing this real time encoding produces quite a bit more cross talk than discrete wiring, but when discrete wiring is not an option, maybe it's good enough???

Oh yeah, the fact that it's $46 cheaper (Newegg 79.99 vs. X-Fi Basic model @ $126) doesn't hurt.

Thanks,
    Jeff

5. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Was it in the artical or not. About that the purpase of the 64mb of memory is??

Also i think i'll stay with my X-Mystique DDL card :) i so love that thing.

6. dom_

dom_ --->

well written article, only thing i would say is better audio comparisions.
    actually comparing the audio directly with other cards. would have been nice.
    from a reference point such as an emu 0404 or 1212. although these arnt gaming cards there audio performance is very well documented so a good idea of the sound quality could have been made.

:D
    (no comment) :p

7. Angry_Steel

Angry_Steel What's a Dremel?

If there wasn't the Fatality BS with the card and the associated extra costs, I would probably buy one now. Hey its great for someone who wants a flashy red computer, with 450 different logos of Fatality plastered all over it that idolize thier hero, but to me its just another way for me to pay more money so some other guy can get a better computer. At the very least they could have made a Fatality version and an Identical mainstream version without the marketing hype, so all the Fatality fanboys could be happy while the rest of us get more of what we paid for. Unfortunately thats not the way it works. Think Ill stick with the Audigy for now and see if they come out with a regular Gamers card.

8. dom_

dom_ --->

no one would buy the fatality one though if a normal one was offered for less.

9. Malvolio

Malvolio .

This card is nice and all, but I've still not seen a card that would work in my type of setup...

Here's my situation: a main set of 5.1 speakers in my computer room, a 2 channel lead out to my amp in my living room, and another 2 channel to my TV (to go with the video lead from my computer), and yet another lead for my headphones. In my current setup I've got to modify all my speaker settings when I want to watch a movie from my TV, dumbing it down from 5.1 to 2 channel, same deal with my headphones.

Currently what I do is run a splitter on my front speaker plug, run one line to my TV, and the other to my front speakers. My amp still doesn't have audio, so I've got to run that through my TV (wich results in extremely low quality), and I've got to boost the volume on my front speakers as they're now quieter.

I just can't win :waah:

10. macroman

macroman The One

The Fatal1ty is pure branding, the price is irrelevant when looking at performance. The Elite Pro version costs more but adds higher quality :jawdrop: components where as the platinum version offers the same features minus the X-ram for less. Plenty of choice for everyone and that does not include the Music Xtreme without the I/O module which is even less expensive. :thumb:

11. dom_

dom_ --->

i just meant if they offered exactly the same with or without the name on it. surely it costs something to print an name on the box/card

12. macroman

macroman The One

I guess so but I doubt that it is much ;) Wait a few months an the prices will fall.

13. dom_

dom_ --->

what do you think about referencing the sound against other cards though macroman?

14. macroman

macroman The One

If I had other cards then I would but the Emu range of cards are strictly pro whereas the X-Fi is a consumer card. I do have an original Live but I did not compare it due to its age and obsolescence. I actually think that this is the best all rounder for the majority of folks. I personally would not upgrade from an Audigy 2 card purely on sound quality grounds. It is the extra features which make the X-Fi desirable.

15. dom_

dom_ --->

ok, but it would still be nice to have some reference to how good the sq is.
    its like saying a sandwich tastes real nice, but without saying this sandwich is nicer than a subway's blah blah i would have no idea what nice meant.

16. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

I wonder how this would compare with the EMU (0404, 1212M) line or even a AV-710 for sound quality?

17. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

For everyone blaming Fatal1ty because this card is £160, just stop. Yes, he will be getting some sort of royalty, but margins in the PC industry are thin, so it's not even going to be £5 per card tbh.

If you think this card is more expensive to make because of the LED Fatal1ty logo, you should know that on the other cards, it's a blue X-Fi logo, so no difference there. It's just marketing: not to make you pay more *because* it's Fatal1ty, but to generate some interest from gamers because he's on the box.

In the history of selling stuff, it's hardly a new tactic. Creative could've branded it 'Xtreme Gamer' and put some sort of CG dragon on the box like all the graphics card guys do, but it's easier for people to just say "I want the Fatal1ty version". Plus, for people who don't understand the techie bits, they might be swayed from having the CPL World Champ on the box.

Either way, the card still kicks ass, whoever is on the box. If you can't afford it just now, I'm sure the pricing will settle down over time. Audigys were this pricey to start with, as was the LIVE! so just keep an eye on things.

18. The_Pope

19. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that if they recognize on sight #1 computer gamer in the world (supposedly), they would know about the tech bits. Maybe that's just my way of thinking though.

20. The_Pope

No, what I mean is, bloke walks into PCWorld / Best Buy and wants to buy a soundcard and / or spec a new PC up.

Bloke: I don't know nothing about sound blasters - which one is good?
    Salesman: It depends on your needs, sir. Do you want to make music on your PC, or do you maybe play lots of games like DOOM3 and F.E.A.R.?

Bloke: Yeah, I'm well hardcore, me - I 0wns j00.
    Salesman: Ah, you'll be wanting the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatl1ty FPS then.

Bloke: What's a Fatal1ty?
    Salesman: He's the #1 professional gamer in the world, sir. He is multiple CPL World Champion, and tours the world playing games for a living, and earning hundreds of thousands of dollars in prize money and endorsements. This is the soundcard he uses.

Bloke: OMFG - I want one!!!111
    Salesman: Would you like fries with that?

------------

Basically, informed techies, like bit-tech readers, will understand that this is a kick-ass card with a 'celebrity' endorsement - they'd buy it even without the name. But for the less techie Joe Publics, it adds some weight to the sales pitch, beyond just "it's the best for games, honest".

Tags: Add Tags