1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Pranks Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by 731|\|37, 31 Oct 2005.

1. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

Post your great (quasi-non-malacious) pranks here ^_^ :clap:

here we go.

word uses its default template "normal.dot" change the file permisions and you can edit it as a word document (in word that is) to say anything you want. save and the blank doc will pop up every time a new doccument is called for

I cant remember how its done but on older *nix systems running xWindows, gain permisions to your neighbors desktop and open xclocks at the command line faster than your prey can close them

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

doubt it would work anymore, but write a two-liner batch file

c:\someplace\someapp.exe
    annoypeople.bat

so launch the app, rerun the batch file. loop of death... Was even more fun with old dos netsend commands; you could run it from your comp and piss off your neighbor, instead of have to get it on theirs.

perhaps replace the app of choice with "explorer.exe pr0nsite.com"

just unplug the power cord. stumps most idiots for hours, at least to the point of tech support. for even more fun, get the right breaker/fuse and turn it off. much more effective if the room's lighting isn't on the same breaker.

unplug anything else. same effect.

internal unplugs. "oh noes, i lost meh rame!"

another fun one... take a screenshot showing just the desktop. set it as the background. delete ALL icons and move the start menu to the right and set it to autohide mode.

3. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

that screenshot dektop one sounds like a classic! i'll be doing that on my friend's comp next time i have a chance.

4. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I did that to all the desktops in the computer lab in junior high. The only difference is that I put the start bar at the top of the screen, set it on auto-hide, and then shrunk it to where it was justa small line that went invisible. You could put your mouse on it and not know it was there.

5. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

A fairly nasty one I thought up for use on someone with an outgoing CRT is to wait until they go on holiday, then leave a stupid picture (May I suggest a more risque type of picture ;)) on the screen for ages so it burns into it :)

and mm, the desktop one :) that takes me back! :p

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I once rigged our (computer phobic) secretary's PC so that it started playing the tune of "The Twillight Zone" as soon as it booted up (I found a handy little driver that turns the PC speaker into a full .wav player --albeit a crappy one).

We still have her imprint on the ceiling. :D

7. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Change the screensaver to the pic that says "You may now switch off your computer" and people will think they've lost all their work :hehe:

Works better with non-ATX computers where you actually get that screen.

8. logan

logan flashback!

9. 731|\|37

googe funformat, same as above except its this nice little rendition of the windows formatting tool. sits there on top of the desktop and pretends to format C:

I heard one where a group of kids stole the sys administrator's (mac fan) box and replaced it with an externaly identical rig (gutted and modded to fit) running windows 3.1

10. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Use the automatic spellchecking thing in Word (replaces the word as it's typed) - insert some of your own "corrections" into it :naughty:

11. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Pretty lame, but on school login prompts, put tonnes of spaces in the username box, put the cursor back at the start. Whenever they type their username in, it will say something like "username not found" because of all the spaces.

Then see how long it takes a person to find out what the problem is. Is especially funny pretending you don't know what's going on and getting the IT guy to help you, at which point he has no idea either.
    Did that today :D

12. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

lol thats a good'en

make a program in a newish version of vb and write the line

shell "c:\windows\notepad.exe" or mspaint
    then loop it, or put it on a timer for a 1000 times a second :)
    also make it so there no dialoge box and doesn't appear in bottom task bar, also call it something convincing with a good logo,

or call it doom, gta3 or somthing,but with a good/correct logo, loads of people will click it at school then :D

13. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I did that, but with a play .wav sound :p

Had the tarzan scream going for agggess.

14. tetleyex

tetleyex What's a Dremel?

Run around the IT classrooms pressing 'num lock' no-one ever has any idea why the numbers don't work.

15. SJH

SJH Minimodder

Something I will do to someone that deserves it one day is to put a shortcut to the "Show Desktop" file in their scheduled tasks and set it to run every 10 seconds/minutes/whatever.

Bet that'd stump people pretty easily.

16. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Wow I have never thought of that, guess I am gonna have fun in VB6 at college :D

17. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

We made a bug for a friends computer. We named a file ut2004_crack.exe and put it in a folder that he copied onto his computer. When he ran the executable it copied about 50 smaller executables into his startup folder. When each of these smaller executables ran they repeatadly netsended his computer about 10,000 times with a message saying "critical error." Man he got so pissed off it was funny as hell. Theres no point trying to close all the dialog boxes that appear, there were FAR too many. Well, I saw we, but it was all ch424 really....

18. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Hehehe, that reminds me of a little app I wrote that said "Click here to close me". Obviously when you clicked it, it opened another one. Click that one and another opened. Easy to terminate with the three-key salute, but at college, where the Task Manager is blocked, it was a great laugh :naughty:

19. 731|\|37

hit CAD and end process "explorer" the only fix is a hard shutdown or you can run "explorer" again via CAD (not sure if windows + r works) to bring the GUI back, your desktop stays though, nice for making "dead screens"

20. The_Gimpy

The_Gimpy What's a Dremel?

Gotta love the classic of popping the keys off the keyboard and swapping them around. Either make it random, or write things on the keyboard. Then if they suck at typing, they spend ages trying to figure out where each key is supposed to be.