1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting rid of thermal compound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by burk, 31 Oct 2005.

1. burk

burk What's a Dremel?

Hello

I have just bought new coolers for my venice chip and my 6600GT. I dont know how to say this in english, but in norway we have two different alcohol solvents that is the most used ones. One that is white (blanc) and one that is red (hope you know what i mean). I have heard that the white one leaves fat on the core so that the next termal compound wont work so good. Is it possible to use the red??

(sorry for my english, i am from norway :clap: )

2. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

Try it and see!!! But I know Akasa make a product specially designed to clean thermal paste off cpu cores etc...its called TIM clean....

3. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

I just use White Spirits cos im lazy, works fine and most of the alcohol will evaporate anyways. Blanc is white in french so I imagine thats White Spirits, the Red might be Methylated Spirits :confused:

Anyways, that should be fine for now :thumb:

4. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

i use my mums nail polish remover!...and its free!

5. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

You can also purchase "ArctiClean", made by the same people as Arctic Silver, which says it does the job. I use 91% rubbing alcohol myself and it works a treat :)

6. burk

burk What's a Dremel?

Since they didnt have any arctic remover-thing in the local computer-store i will try with the red spirits (or whatever it is called)

7. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

What you're looking for is Isopropyl Alcohol. The higher the percentage number on the bottle, the better.

8. burk

burk What's a Dremel?

I have heard that that is the ideal liquid, but i dont have that, and i dont want to buy a big one-litre bottle. So will it make a big difference if i use red spirits, than with isoplopyl?

9. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

I'd say try wiping some on a piece of glass, and see if it leaves any kind of film/residue after the alcohol evaporates. If it doesn't leave anything behind, you should be fine.

10. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

11. seagull

seagull What's a Dremel?

Hi
    Defo White Spirit. Cheap as chips.
    Once got a chip absolutely covered in silver compond out of a syringe (It came out a bit quicker than I thought it would!! :duh: )
    Had to practically soak the chip in white spirit, cleaned with Kitchen Roll, Let it dry for two minutes (Always worth taking your time)
    Still going strong!
    White Spirit :rock:

12. a1m3r3

a1m3r3 What's a Dremel?

That "red" stuff... what does the label say. Does it tell if there are any impurities? I work as a chemical analist and at the company we have different grades of alcohol and i have acces to isopropyl alcohol :D Thats certainly the best there is. But in your case, just compare the labels to see whats best. If that doesn't work, just use something that evaporates quickly and doesn't leave a residu. You can even use the white one, just wipe the core clean with some kitchen roll as seagull says. Couple of years ago i didn't even use alcohol (or something like it) to clean the cpu. Just used a piece of kitchen roll to remove the worst of the old compound and then used a kitchen towell to remove any residue :hehe: Thank the man above that it never went wrong.

Eveb if there's any residue left after cleaning, don't worry. It would cost you 1 degree C at the most and it won't have any effect on your new compound. (but thats my experience)