1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Which laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neonplanet40, 3 Nov 2005.

1. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

Hey Guys i am going to have £3200 to spend. As you can see from another thread i have £1600 to spend on an upgrade for my computer but i also have another £1600 to spend on a laptop.

Now i want this laptop to basically be like my main rig only its mobile. It will be for games, storage, internet ,everything you would use a normal rig for. I just dont know what one i can get for this price.

Any help yous guys could give me is greatly apprieciated.

Thanx Guys

Mark

2. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Have a gander at the Rock Direct banner at the top of the page, their newest Pentium-M (the only CPU I'd really consider for a laptop) setup is extremely impressive :) There was a brief look at the machine a few months ago on bit, too...

EDIT - Here

3. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

The Dell XPS seems to be well-liked :)

5. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

I have heard alot about the dell one also. Heard their memory upgrades are attrocious though. How easy is it to buy your own ram and put it in?

Mark

6. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

In fact all thier upgrades are.

Mark

7. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

It should be like most laptops, i.e. a small compartment for the SODIMMs in which you can add the RAM yourself.

8. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

dell xps .. though do not buy the 2 gig of ram through dell (WAYYYY too expensive)... try and get 256 mb from them (cheapest) and then buy elsewhere the 2gig stick.
    and it is quite easy to put it in ( i have heard from a mate with an xps upgrading to 2gig).
    Of course with that sort of money you can get a 100 gig (maybe more - though i havn't heard of a higher cap. hd for a laptop personally), 7800 gtx go gfx etc.

9. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

It's very easy to replace the RAM. Scan.co.uk stock cheap Laptop RAM - I purchased some Corsair for my IBM the other week. It should be easy enough to find the RAM cover on the underside of the laptop. Simply unscrew and remove this, then remove the old RAM (if needed) and slot in your new stick. Replace the cover, and it's all done.

10. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

When you are configering it it wont let u purchase any less than 1gig. id prefer to get 256 or 512 and just buy 2 1gb dimms. to put in it. Is there anywhere else you can get the dell xps laptop sepcs for the same price? eg voodoo alienware etc

Mark

11. cysus

cysus What's a Dremel?

Since your already buying a new desktop I'd recommend buying a laptop that, while it can still perform very well, is not the bleeding (and burning) edge. Get a laptop that is well rounded with a lot of the features you’d use and appreciate; specifically the ASUS W2. It's the best (IMO) 17" laptop out there. It is designed with media uses in mind, has good performance, and looks awesome. It use the X700 graphic engine, which can run any game out there, perhaps not as well as a 6800 or 7800 but it also won't be literally burning you as you use it. In all honesty the inherent nature of a laptop will impair your ability for gaming (even with a mouse) far more that the difference in video chips.
    Anyway here's a review.
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2588
    Specs
    http://uk.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=5&l2=22&l3=0&model=628&modelmenu=1
    You can buy direct from ASUS in England.
    http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/products.php?cat=44
    Before everyone complains about how they've never heard of an ASUS laptop let me say this. ASUS is the manufacturer of all current Apple PowerBooks most Sony Vaio lines and recently got the dell laptop bid. Asus makes the best laptops OMD and rebranded on the market. I'm currently the happy owner of an ASUS W3v, which is crammed with features and is one of the few 14” notebooks with an X600 and with a 6hrs battery life (use main and DVD drive bay batteries).
    With your budget I'd simply define exactly what you want out of a laptop and how you'd like to use it (Ex. I'd like to be able to take it everywhere with me to watch DVD's/media files: weight and size need to be down without sacrificing battery life, and sound and screen quality).

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

A laptop with a mobile 7800GT gfx card would suffice all your computing needs, no need for a desktop. Get a decent keyboard and mouse, HD-ready 32" screen and enjoy!

13. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

Last edited: 6 Nov 2005
  14. AngryWookie

AngryWookie What's a Dremel?

15. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

Im going to get the rock XCT :) just have to wait 3 weeks now for all my money then i can go shopping :p