1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Cooling from my mini fridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by icarus, 9 Nov 2005.

1. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

Hi i got one fo those nasty mini fridges at home and i also have an unused watercooling setup now my idea is to stick either the radiator inside the fridge with two sealed holes for the tubing or make a perspex res to fit inside what would you guys suggest and would it work well or just die? for those wondering it does a pretty good job of cooling a few cans and makes em pretty frosty,
    Icarus

2. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

I dont htink htat the mini fridge is designed for a continuous load.

3. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

well it makes noise all night :D so i think it is constantly cooling, more from someone who has done simmilar would be cool

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Not really possible, or advisable. The Peltiers in them are well well underated for the job.

5. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

What about being used as an extra cooling method on the res? and still have the rad working as it should? would that work?

6. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Personally I can't see the point. Since you'd need a Cooper res in that case, and then ANOTHER heatsink for the Peltier.

7. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

hmm i guess its just i have this thing doing nothing and thought that it would work quite well as it can cool drinks in plastic bottles quickly, just thought it might lower the temps a bit more for some better oc'ing

8. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Consider the time/money involved to get it working, and your probs not far off a second hand 120mm Rad ;) Or at least, thats how I look at it...

Though, whats your current setup? Watercooling on its own should be good enough most the time, unless your cooling the whole lot or the case is poor.

9. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

its not built its more parts i could turn into a good setup, watercooling setup is a 120 already mate :D with a huge delta shoved on it to blast the crap out of the rad and i think its made by maxxxpert or somthing, its a cool setup just wanted to do something funky with it :D oh wells

10. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Delta + Rad = Enough :)

11. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

nothing on the fridge will work in a computer cooling environment... you're not the first to think of that idea and you won't be the last, but atleast you now know that it's not even enough power to cool nF4 chipsets let alone make any difference to a reservoir!

12. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

The people who have done this on the [H]ardForum have regretted it as it invariably results in a blown refrigerator within 1-2 months. They are designed to slowly bring down the temperature and keep it there. YMMV :D

13. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

I dunno. I think if you hook up a delta fan + the fridge it would lower temps. Try it out. If it doesnt work then silicone the holes and use it for what it was intended

14. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

im just bored these days and want to see how much i could lower temps, would adding anti-freeze to my coolant and sticking the peltier straight onto the res work? im bored and i have gizmo's i want to fiddle with :D (dremel)

15. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

You even know how a peltier works? ...

16. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

yeah one side gets uber cold the other gets fecking hot :)

17. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

So sticking it in a res... Wouldn't work :p

18. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

If you want to use a frig then spray conforming spray all over the MB and all the components. Then throw it is the freezer. Expect to buy a new freezer soon...

19. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

i didnt say in the res, look at how its written, it says "onto the res" as in i could put it on the side or top of it not inside with the nice conductive fluids

20. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Ah yes, mis-read. Personally try it, but I have no faith myself.

Tags: