1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Cooling from my mini fridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by icarus, 9 Nov 2005.

1. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

I like you :) ill go do it and post the resulting mess on here :rock: no really ill give it a go if it works yay if not well i dont use the fecking thing anyhoo :D

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Well, whats modding all about? ;)
    I know it won't work... but what the hell. :p

3. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

its in the name of science so even a failure isnt a total loss :D. We can call it constructive de-construction, and it can serve as an answer to everyone elses querys on the subject :D :D :D

4. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

how long does a kettle take to boil water? not a short amount of time and it takes the most efficient route to do it (producing heat) and considerable amount of power.

Now you propose to do the opposite with an inefficient device (peltiers are super un-efficient) probably working around at only 60-70% efficiency in an environment where more heat than the peltier can cool is being dumped in (CPU, GPU etc) and expect a good (or even any) result?

You more likely turn the peltier into a heat pump and then the device will fail along with the PSU it's attached too.

5. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

yes but its in the name of science!
    So far i have removed the peltier and the (Temp cut off LOL) dont think i have much worry about it getting too cold now :D and i have seperated the in car 12v circuit from the mains, leaving me with a circuit i can attach to a molex (in theory)
    the pc this will be used on isnt going to cost a million dollars actually it will be made from old spares like a duron (axia) core and then im gona overclock it till things get a bit scary :D

seems fun to me,
    icarus out for now
    pics soon

6. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

It will definitely be fun so enjoy yoursef. :D

7. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

:D

8. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Another option is to stick the cold side onto a waterblock, and cool the hot side with a standard CPU sink. Means having an extra block in the loop doing nothing, but it might be a little safer than chopping holes in res's etc...

9. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

i have a nice flat res, si im gona position the peltier near the inlet hole on the outside of the res,then stick its original heatsync and fan onto the hotside of the peltier, my theory is that if it becomes pointless/uneffective i can just remove the peltier in a few mins and still have a good watercooling set-up wont be risking anything that way.
    also looking at the heatsync and fan combo thats on the peltier already a standard cpu one would do nothing its currently got about a 14cm hs and a 12cm fan so no way would a cpu set-up do the job effectively

10. Marci

Marci Ex-O-CuK / ThermoChill

Science and the laws of thermodynamics already say it can't be done. Don't take science's name in vain trying to break it's own laws...

Simple story is, if it's being used to cool water, then it's actually being used to remove heatload from the water (thus cooling it) and the max it could remove is 40w before it goes all heat-pump on you... bearing in mind in a water rig the heatload of all your items, plus heatload of your pump generally equates to a hundred watts or more.... The 40w pelt will do nothing at all. Anything it does do will be cancelled out by your rad. If pelt does manage to cool water to below ambient, then the air blowing thru the rad will heat the water back up to room temperature. You need to remove the radiator to prevent it fighting against the TEC. However, then you need a TEC strong enough to remove ALL heat from the system. 226w minimum, or stronger. However, a 120mm rad is way more efficient than a 226w TEC as water isn't in direct contact with TEC Cooling area for long enough (not enough surface area) to do it's job.

We tried it years ago with a 169w TEC on the side of a copper res, using a Volcano7 heavy copper heatsink on hotside and an 80mm RB Delta. It couldn't drop water temps by 0.5 deg C. Once we put the loop under load, TEC overheated and blew PSU it was attached to.

There are ways of making it work, but this involves several larger capacity TECs (6 of I think) and an independant PSU, and a second loop to cool the TEC Hotsides. Other than that, it's pointless and ineffective.

11. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

yeah i got bored and couldnt be arsed to use it for what i said and im finding a site to show you the effect it has on slugs........ science hasn't tried that one i dont beleive :Daltho i think alot of damage was caused by the common rotary heat dissipation device aka 120mm fan but it was funny at the time, im 19 and yes its a bit of an immature thing to do but it had me and a few mates in stiches for about 2 hours i have a nice vid too!

Tags: