1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding I love my PSU….but….

Discussion in 'Modding' started by scooby, 9 Nov 2005.

1. scooby

scooby Minimodder

It’s so dang noisy, I have a PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510W. Some time ago I did see a thread were someone did mod his PSU (same as mine) for silent running, still looking for it.

The fan on that Turbo-Cool 510W flows at 30-52 CFM and has 30-44dB(A) of fan notice. Since I recently switched to watercooling I did a little experiment and with the side panels off turned off all of my case fans (a total of 5 fans) not including the NB fan. I noticed that it still a little loud for me. I’m trying to make the rig as silent as I can and it seems that my PSU is not helping any. As for the NB cooler thats another story.

I could use your help in deciding what fans to use. With that said, I plan on using 2 low noise fans but don’t want to compromise the PSU performance.

Thanks in advance guys. :thumb:

2. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

If you go with fans with a CFM rating as big or bigger as whats in there already you should be ok, try to remove any airflow restrictions in the P/S (try bundling up wires, making the path to the heatsinks better, putting on a better grate or removing it all together) that cuts down on the work the fan has to do and also cuts down on noise.

3. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

theres no way he can clean up the ionside of that psu...its filled completely with parts lol.

I to remember someone who modded there psu to make it some what silent. He added a quiet second fan to it on one side of it by drilling a hole in it. He then replaced the stock one with a quiet one also.

4. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

not too sure about the heat that those heatsinks dissipate, however there are a couple of options you can try

one of which is remotely connecting your IC's in your psu that are connected to the various heatsinks, by hooking them all to one main heatsink that is larger in another portion of your case, with a more quiet fan and more passive cooling that would silence it, the problem with the psu, is there is no room on the inside in which for sound to dissipate vs your case where there is tons of room for sound to bounce and quieten down before leaving your computer,

another option of course is to get slim 80mm fans, 2 of them and run them both at 7v, if you use a push-pull fan system then you can greatly improve airflow while decreasing noise as fans at slower speeds = less noise, and 2 fans at lower speed will push at least as much air as the stock fan at full power, maybe have one suck heat from the inside of your computer into your psu, then have the other on the back push heat right out, since you wouldnt want to vent hot air from your psu right into your case...

5. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

so are you saying that you have 5 case fans AND watercooling? isn't that a little excessive? can't you just have your radiatior fans running?

6. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Thank you guys for all the great suggestions, I think the 2 fan push/pull method would work well in my case. If I’m not mistaken the gentlemen who modded his PSU used a Sanyo Denki 80x15mm fan on top of his PSU and replaced the stock fan with a Panaflo Ultra Quiet fan. Are their any comments on these fans?

Specs on the fans:

Panaflo 80x25 Ultra Quiet
    Specifications: 80x80x25mm, 24 CFM @ 1900 RPM, 21.0 dBA, .82 watts, 68 mA (.1A startup), 12v DC, 3 pin female Molex.

Sanyo Denki San Ace 80x15 mm
    Specifications: 80x80x15 mm, 20.13 CFM @ 2000 RPM, 21.0 dBA, 1.08w .09 Amp, 12v DC, 3 pin connector, ball bearing.

TY :)

P.S. The five fans include the 2 120mm fans on the rad as it is still a work in progress. Thanks Supertoad. :thumb: