1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Check out my new website

Discussion in 'Software' started by SmOkEd, 13 Nov 2005.

1. SmOkEd

SmOkEd What's a Dremel?

What this?
    <?php
    include_once "/home/content/j/a/m/jamesbbarnett/html/advancedpoll/db/booth.php";
    echo $php_poll->poll_process(4);
    ?>

2. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

Err, I can't see PHP from my browser ;)

View the HTML code on your homepage and search for <br>

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Wow, it's definatly looking a lot better, one suggestions, make the font size one size smaller, I changed the font size to one size smaller in my browser and it looks a lot better imo.

And you need to sort out the bottom links, some are underlined and some aint!

Otherwise, looking good!

4. SmOkEd

SmOkEd What's a Dremel?

Mr.WillyWonka click on the links at the bottom and see if they become underlined. They are all underlined once I visit the link.

5. SmOkEd

SmOkEd What's a Dremel?

figured it out simon w, the reason I asked about the PHP because thats all that is showing in my code for the poll. As you know PHP is a server side script and that script was provided by my web host. I have very little knowledge of PHP, but this is something they control. The script about is what makes it visible on my site. Thats all that I have in the coding, the server does the rest. I will do some checking but I don't think that my host will allow me to change that portion of the code.

6. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

I dont like flash menus because they can easily get complicated. There are some realy cool ones (www.rush.com and click on high bandwith, at least my first impression was flash) but it takes time to load and the whole point of getting rid of the buttons was to reduce the ammount of graphics that have to load. CSS is all text based and you can still get a nice effect from it.

7. SmOkEd

SmOkEd What's a Dremel?

731|\|37 I like the rush menu, but like I said I earlier, I am getting ready to learn Flash here soon. I went ahead and removed the buttons I had and replaced them with CSS buttons. I also inserted some effects along with them. Let me know what you think.

8. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Not sure what the original looked like, as I only just saw this thread, but I like it. I think it looks really good. I do have to agree on the font however, make it one size smaller. I'm on 1280x1024 and it's still fairly big, I can't imagine what people on 800x600 (you all know there's still some of them out there) are seeing. Other than that, I like it. In particular, the gradient lines seperating the sections are really nice.

9. jamadaia

jamadaia What's a Dremel?

Looks nice in layout etc, just dont like the colors.
    It makes it look very dark and so doesnt catch the eye as it were.
    I think some more lighter, maybe pastle colors etc are appropriate.
    But then again it all depends on that kind of feel your wanting to give the site in the first place.
    Also some flashy Javascript/DHTML widgets would spruce things up. Theres some great free controls out there, and even some complete libraries you can use. There quite easy to use.

10. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

It seems like you're going for a news/review/article site, but you have a lot of personal stuff too, so I'm a bit confused as to what your focus is. I normally like maroon, but I don't think it's working too well as it's in the borders too and it may be overpowering. All in all, everything looks pretty decent. There is a conflict however in that you provided a text-form method to contact you (forgive me, I have no idea what the technical terms are) but you provide your resume which has personal information about you as well as an email address you probably wish to keep private. I would set up a dummy address and have people email you with a request if they want your resume for whatever reason.

As for the news clippings, instead of linking to the sources through "link," perhaps you could link another part of the paragraph such as the headline title or the news agency that provided the information?

11. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

I find a lot of layout differences between IE and firefox can be fixed by removing the page margin, this is done in CSS:
    Code:
    body {margin: 0px}
    The reason for the problem is that the default border for IE is about 7px where as default in FF is about 4px.

The site is looking REALLY good now, I love the maroon, and the new buttons. Only one thing I think could be improved would be to keep the layout consistent through all the pages, ie. have the bar down the left with the menu buttons on all pages.

Very nice site though, It's really come along :thumb:

Matt

Edit: also, your page doesn't have a title:
    Code:
    <head><title>this appears at the top of the window</title>

Last edited: 16 Nov 2005
  12. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

I like the CSS menu alot. I personaly like tweaking SCC menus and pittling around with hex color values until it looks perfect, but maybe thats just me. Stay with css you dont need flash

EDIT:
    the margin setting helps alot, but iv found that when you resize the FF windown too quickly and drasticly it will tear :sigh:

13. SmOkEd

SmOkEd What's a Dremel?

Shuriken, Good catch on the title. I had put it in at the beginning, but it looks like something happened when I was adding my PHP code for the poll to the page. Not sure if I want to continue with the navigation through the pages or use what I found yesterday on another website. The other website would flip the other pages to the main page through the nav bar. Kind of like frames, but it was smoother and not as clunky. Still trying to plan things out.

14. Laosa

Laosa What's a Dremel?

Not bad. It needs a little work though.