1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Luminglas Plasma Panel

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bargz, 27 Jun 2002.

1. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

These things work like this basically, There are two panes of glass an in the center are these little tiny pebble like things, when a bolt of electricity is emmitted out of the center it tries to find the easiest earth, in this case around the edge of the glass, as it passes through the "pebbles" they charge and glow with colour!! These pebble things are pretty white so I think you can kinda rule out using it as a window! I think if you mount it in a rubber seal as used by PcMods where the side pretty much lines up with the case the charge *should* pass safely through the case, however if you mounted a sheet of acrylic behind the Dish and covered the acrylic in the anti-static material you get off mobo bags (you did keep them right?) it should be pretty insulated, you could always stick a cold cathode in the box then to light up the back of the disk, (even cooler! Find out in the shop if the "pebbles" in the dish are UV?)

I'm pretty sure these things are sound sensitive... Like I said in my post in another thread you could earht the edges with *multiple* wires so that you can achieve a kind of star pattern, but you'd have to make absolutely sure each wire was the same length otherwise it would earth down the shortest, you could use a couple of relays (silent ones!) to switch random relays going to random earthing points for the random effect, or If you'r really clever a spinning star.:lol:

You might be able to use Transistors to switch instead of relays but I'm not sure if they could hack the voltage ETC... I'm sure MacroMan the electronic nut could easily come up with a circuit that can randomly pulse relays... *hint hint*

Thats all....

P.S. BorgBob, been a Trekkie fan I'd at least thought YOU would have tried this of all people :)

2. Smeggy

Smeggy What's a Dremel?

I thought if this idea about 3 or months back - i was just waiting to save (unsuccessfully) to afford the plate and a cheapy "test" computer to try it out on. I'm gonna watch this thread to see how it turns out, and whether theres anypoint in me trying this... :p

3. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Ahem! Back in January: here.

Most people seemed to think I was mad back then, but you seem more up for trying it now... :rolleyes: boys... tsk! :p

4. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

So is anyone else going to actually try this or not? I'll be trying to make my way up to spencer's today, if I have time after my "project" :D

5. UnLoadeD

UnLoadeD What's a Dremel?

well, i wont be trying it, but cant wait to see what kinda results ya get. it would be really kewl if it works.

6. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

hey guys, if you look hard enuff you can find leaded glass, that can be grounded ... yes, glass CAN be an insulator ...

7. bmph8ter

bmph8ter What's a Dremel?

I think you have that backwards. Glass IS an insulator...