1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Built-in speakers

Discussion in 'Modding' started by doryakov, 16 Aug 2005.

1. doryakov

doryakov What's a Dremel?

:built in speakers

.i have simple speakers so i decide to do something with them
    .i thought about built in speakers into the case

:this is the mod

i took my old speakers
    [​IMG]

i taking off the cover

[​IMG]

.i make a hole in my case in order to put the speaker

[​IMG]

.i cut the power cable and remove the transformer

.the speakers work with 9v so you can to connect it to 12v
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (the plus and minus i connected to the molex (plus to the yellow and the minus to the black

(have a mistake on the picture - the plus were connected to the 5V instead of 12V )

.when i finished i connect the speaker's cable to the pc

.just more thing : the speaker's button are inside the case. i need more time to finish the mod

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Sep 2005
  2. Neo40k

Neo40k What's a Dremel?

are thoes speakers shielded?? They have magnets in them and well magnets and PCs do go together so well!!

An easy way to test them is...do they stick to steel??? if so....they are NOT shielded

cool idea though

3. Agent11345a

Agent11345a What's a Dremel?

well, from what I've figured out, magnets dont really do much, except to the monitor. So as long as you keep them away from there you are OK. Since they are computer speakers they are almost definitely shielded.

EDIT: that's cool though (i mean the fact that you started out with butt ugly speakers and found a way to make them look cool :rock: )

4. Neo40k

Neo40k What's a Dremel?

No you right the magnets by them self shouldn’t do much….but when the music start to flow….you’ve got you self a changing magnetic field….and depending on how close they are to the gear inside the pc depends on weather on not they do damage. They will fry a floppy and possibly a Hard drive. No offence to doryakov, but they are not great speakers so he probably doesn’t have state-o-art gear in his pc (i dont have state-o-art gear either) Older Equipment it affected more so then the new stuff Im just trying to help him prevent $100 worth of damage from $20 speakers.

5. Guido

Guido What's a Dremel?

Hmm, need clearer pics and a little more detailed instructions for us electronically-challenged folks.

6. zmodder

zmodder What's a Dremel?

nope magnets will screw up some types of ram especially flash ram and hdds pretty bad and a few optical drives so aslong as u keep em away from the hdd and the ram ur got nothin to worry about still not a risk i wanan take, but it looks quite good.

7. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

Still seems a lot of effort when you don't even start with good speakers... Plus although 12v shouldn't kill it, if ii is meant for 9v it will not sound so good, seeing as how it will be adjusted for 9v. Still a good mod though, well done

8. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Looks good, I like the idea.

Dont think my 150W Warfdales would be such a good idea in this situation! They are twice the size of my case!

Its a good mod! Makes you case look a bit better, now all you need is some LED in them and make the shine a lil bit.

Good Work
    GiGo

9. Deflater Mouse

Deflater Mouse What's a Dremel?

The hdd is the only thing that has any chance of being affected by magnets. Flash memory, RAM and optical drives have nothing to do with magnetic fields.

10. Isotopian

Isotopian What's a Dremel?

I just read this somewhere a while ago, but harddrives work by floating the read/write heads nanometers above the platter surface. Even a big ol subwoofer has next to no chance of messing up a harddrive. But then again, I don't want to mess with Mr. Murphy, or his laws. But with those speakers, I doubt you could pick up a nail, much less erase a hard drive.

11. barney_2k

barney_2k What's a Dremel?

nice idea mate

so could u use up to 12V speakers in there?

yeah the magnets are small in those speakers

like Isotopian said i dont think there is a very high chance of damage to the hard drive or data

Barney

12. timothyw9

timothyw9 Banned

i wonder what it would be like have 20 speakers emmiting sound - in a very large room

13. uwannabigmak

uwannabigmak What's a Dremel?

ummm... pretty much like a concert. actually, identical to a concert.

14. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

Isotopian, speakers like these have the biggest electromagnetic effect, better ones are shielded. I would say you are proabably ok though, but don't put them near ide cables or anything. Also, uwannabigmac, in your sig, shouldn't it be an optimist would say the HD is half empty? Last time I checked it was better to have space on your hard drive?

15. Sherk

Sherk What's a Dremel?

I've seen people put speakers in their machines before, one of my friends did it to get around some rules at a LAN party about bringing only your box and headphones... There are even kits you can but to stick speakers in your drive bays, so I don't know why this wouldn't work properly. :hehe: I've got a PC sitting about a foot underneath 2 12" subs in my truck, and I've never had issues with the hard drives in that machine (and those are a lot more powerful magnets than in the speakers you are using, and not shielded, either). :naughty:

16. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

I've built an old web box and as its on 24/7 i've made it my alarm clock, I got some a speaker drive by set, bascailly has 2 USB ports on the front, (that plug straight to your board) and it has room to mount an HDD behind it, which I have done, with out any problem. The audio quailty isnt great but just as good an an alarm clock. It has has a port of headphones, I oringally got it to play games in at night so I didnt disturb anyone sleeping.

Regards
    GiGo

17. Touchwood

Touchwood What's a Dremel?

doryakov,

Have the inclusion of these speakers in your case affected the airflow and temps?

Touchwood

18. The_Head

The_Head What's a Dremel?

/first post here - hi all :)

Hi just reading through this thread as I am planning to do pretty much the same thing, except a different position of mounting.

The speakers I have appear to be identical to the ones you have, except they had a different casing.
    How to they sound connected up with 12v? I was worried that using a 12v dc instead of a 9v AC (not sure whether the circuit board turns it to DC) wouldn't work properly.

Also when you say keep away from harddrives etc, how far away? are you talking a 5cm? 10cm?

thanks for any answers.

Tags: