1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Machinatrix Part 1 by PilouX

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 23 Nov 2005.

1. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

Amazing, but you can see the blue wires through the sleeving. Paint them black first...

2. NominD

NominD What's a Dremel?

Ahhh Good is not enough
    I think this project are ****ing cool! :eeek:

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

[​IMG]
    Best. Fan. Grill. Ever.

Very cool so far. Took me a second to see the matrix-esqueness of those LEDs but then, oh, right, duh, the eyes. Very well done; clearly inspired by a great mod and already is one itself.

4. Sathy

Sathy What's a Dremel?

The problem would seem to be that many people think highly of Orac3 (including me) and that's why what PilouX has done so far seem to be only "copying". On many project logs the modders have this mantra of "it's the best compliment for a modder to see their idea used by someone else in the same or atleast in a similar way".
    I don't mean to offend anyone, but seems like the message hasn't quite gotten through to some people, or maybe it's just hard to let go of the idea that even "high profile" modders use ideas concieved by other modders.
    I somehow find it a bit insulting that everything these better known modders do would need to be totally original. I could go on with what it's about but I might have crossed the line already. It's a community and like eddie_dane said, many people contribute to each mod with their ideas and different perspectives on things.

As a big fan of Orac3 myself, I have thought about using the "junction box" idea in a mod I've been planning for quite some time. But thinking about it now, I'm surprised (correct me if I'm wrong) that nobody hasn't done this before. Could there be some sort of Orac3 cult going on, with it's own code of honor that says "thou shalt not use ideas of thee sacred Orac3 in thee own makings"?

Anyways, my thoughts about the actual mod:
    I like where this mod is heading to, the black parts with the red acrylic are definetly a great mach! The attention to detail seems to be top notch, eventhough I really wouldn't expect it to be otherwise. I'm surely looking forward for part 2, hope we don't have to wait too long for it! In short, great work so far PilouX!

What a post this turned out to be...Peace =]

5. Vonpo

Vonpo What's a Dremel?

Looking good but I hope its not gonna end up similar to the Orac3... but what do I know.

Anyways keep going at it!! :D

6. r0z|3o0n

r0z|3o0n What's a Dremel?

I'm loving it already. To me it's like Orac3's evil twin or something. It's very similar, yet cool at the same time. Red instead of green, Black instead of chrome, looks really nice.

And those fan grills :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'm in total agreement with this, many modders recycle ideas and make them better than they were in their first implementations. Many of the cases on bit-tech have inspiration from the likes of MacroBlack, for example. So it is no surprise that people are taking ideas from Orac 3, and improving on them somewhat. :)

8. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

My jaw hit the floor when I saw this article. I was just, like "Wow!". Brilliant workmanship! I just love the red plexi and grey theme and the whole style of it. :eeek: Fantastic!

All I can say is, please, please don't every second person post a comment that "it looks like Orac3". I mean, he's already acknowledged he's got some ideas from that mod, just like I acknowledged Macro Black and the work of other modders at the start of the Orac build article. So, he's used the junction box idea, big deal. Look at the mod for what it is - a brilliant project. To my mind it looks very different to Orac - I think he's going to improve a lot on whatever ideas he has been inspired by.

It's nearly impossible to create something that no one has ever done some version of before - it's all about improving, taking it a step further or in a different direction and PilouX is certainly doing that. My word he is!

(I'm now wishing I had've used red plexi LOL! :worried: :) )

So, so true! My hands were shaking when I cut the top out of my C3 for Orac.

Great job PilouX. If the rest of the case follows what you have done so far it will be an incredible mod. So very cool. :hip:

9. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

:D Nice one, every artist creative person and ilk looks to others for inspiration and ideas, it's the highest compliment any artist can be made, and bless em for trying rather than sitting there and moaning on...keep up the good work :hip:

10. Isotopian

Isotopian What's a Dremel?

With all this talk of copying and etc., I just have to leave you with a quote from a man you may have heard of, Pable Picasso. "Good artists borrow- great ones steal."

11. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

One word; awesome.

12. 1e8o

1e8o What's a Dremel?

we'll see if it gets the same shape as the orac 3, but i dont realy think so. But the arms of the sentinel are metal, so he could use showertube(the same as in orac 3).

Give him some time and we'll see that it will be something else.

Grtz and mod on

13. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

Hi guys :)

first of , great thanks to everyone for all comments about this project. :)

Like I wrote @ the beginning of the article :

I don't want to make a copy of the famous G-Gnome 's Orac³ but just use ideas through my own project ; yes the final result will be a clear computer case with stealth components, yes there will be a lot of wires inside and yes @ this moment the project seems to be like the Orac³ but this is just the beginning ;) let's wait a while to see how it will turn out.

I still have a lot of work to do to end with this and I think that it 's a little bit quick to give opinion about the final case.

Mod on :dremel:

14. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I bet G-Gnome would be proud that Piloux is inspired by parts of the Orac3. I would, if someone takes my ideas to the next level.

15. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

I have to say that the level G-gnome show to the modding world is hard to reach; he showed us the perfection into details !

16. Big SturL

Big SturL What's a Dremel?

Hmm, how come we haven't seen this in the project log section? You getting lazy Piloux?

17. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Nice! Matrix mods are my favorite!

18. kergareth

kergareth What's a Dremel?

The Matrix theme is awesome, and the mod is looking spectacular.

19. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

From the level of craftsmanship shown thus far, this is definitely going to be something special.

Oh, and the fan grill - simple yet brilliant.

Yet another one to watch.

- H.

20. I_Slider_I

I_Slider_I What's a Dremel?

Looking at that mod leaves so much room for creativity and change that it'll be interesting to see what PilouX rises from that measly carcass. Being a Matrixesque mod one could expect to see the typical green numbers falling, or references to the propulsion system on the aircrafts. However, I am not sure how far he wants to go with the Matrix theme, as the movie is old news already, and to me the last two movies killed what was one of the best movies ever created.

The idea that we live inside a world controlled by computers seems so far fetched to many people that they don't even stop to realize how fast the machines have evolved in the past century and that there is little doubt, due to the laws of evolution that machines will be the dominant species on the plant in years to come. Every species requires a catalyst, for carbon based life its solar energy and water and for machines it's humans. Just like we are dependant on the sun for life so are the machines dependant on us.

Tags: Add Tags