Project 'Til All Are One' - Final Update - 27/11/05

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TheMightySpud, 30 Oct 2005.

1. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

Nice effect with the leds :thumb:

2. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Love it, original, clean and a shuttle, what more can you want?

3. westie

westie What's a Dremel?

Looks coolio!

4. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

awesome, you got a article! good job! i love that front screen, it looks awesome!

5. Beavy

Beavy What's a Dremel?

About to mod the cover of my own shuttle - yours is inspirational!

A few questions:
    -have you covered the holes on the side completely? Where does the air flow into the case?
    -The cover flexes slightly when you remove it etc. how did you attach the plates to stop them coming off when you remove the cover?

Sorry to pester, I am just impressed and keen to use some of your ideas!
    (immitation is the best form of flattery)

Cheers!

6. Twill

Twill What's a Dremel?

Nice mod, Curious how you made the big ugly circular circuit board dissapear? Which brand PSOne is that?
    How thick did your front panel end up being in the end?

Twill

7. TheMightySpud

TheMightySpud Boy Genius

HOLY CRAP!!!!

LOL.

I so never excpected to get on the front page.....I'm so honoured, thank you :)

To the Questions....

"-have you covered the holes on the side completely? Where does the air flow into the case?"

The holes haven't been covered completely.....if you take a look at the following 2 pics, you can see that a fair few are left uncovered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"-The cover flexes slightly when you remove it etc. how did you attach the plates to stop them coming off when you remove the cover?"

The panelling is all seperate peices cut from 1mm balsa wood, which is quite pliable anyway, and only attached to the perfectly 'flat' sections of the case. As to sticking it on, I used a combination of 3M Spray mount (for the main body of the pieces along with a spot of superglue on each of the corners of the seperate panels, keeps it nice and secure.

"Curious how you made the big ugly circular circuit board dissapear? Which brand PSOne is that?"

It's the official Sony Screen, I decided a few days ago to remove it from this mod though.......I would put it back in, but I am soooooo not rebuilding the front panel again (done it about 6 times so far and it's costing me a fortune lol) But I am going to be doing somthing 'special' with the front once I've been to Argos today :) (they've got a wicked offer on Dremels ATM which I will be taking full advantage of :))

"How thick did your front panel end up being in the end?"

It has ended up being exactly 1cm in thickness.

I'll be posting an update later today (hopefully the completion too) in which I'll explain how it's attached to the main unit (a little bit of genius (if I do say so myself :))

Thanks for the interest guys, really appreciate it.

And thanks again for the Article.

Stay tuned for the update, and my new project :)

TheMightySpud

8. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Nice project. The sides decoration is cool.

As you can see for my logs, i'm very interested in Shuttle mods. They are really moddish :)

9. TheMightySpud

TheMightySpud Boy Genius

Well, I managed to con my mum out of a couple of early ********* presents, so here is an update (almost finished :D)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front panel completed and attached and looking well sexy (if I do say so myself)

All that remains is to put everything back inside and wire up the buttons and the LED's

Gimme an hour or two :)

TheMightySpud

10. TheMightySpud

TheMightySpud Boy Genius

Added another update 27/11/05

Almost there now.

:)

TheMightySpud

11. Zach

Zach What's a Dremel?

so many people opt for psone lcd, im a newb can i ask wht the main reason is? ive seen lots of LCDs on ebay etc which are bigger sometimes or even WS aspect and about same price... wht makes psone lcd more desirable ?

12. riggs

riggs ^_^

I like it :thumb:

Especially like the raised 3D effect on the case panels...

13. TheMightySpud

TheMightySpud Boy Genius

'cause it's dirt cheap compared to other LCD's (£26 as opposed to £100's)

Plus, and I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think it has a better response time than 'dvd LCD's' cause it's designed for gaming. Dunno though.

Final update added BTW :)

TheMightySpud

TheMightySpud

14. TheMightySpud

TheMightySpud Boy Genius

This is it, the final post of the log, almost brings a tear to my eye.....lol

All wired up and sitting in its new home (well temporary new home)

The Buttons, from top to bottom....

1/ Power
    2/ Reset
    3/ DVD Eject

LED's from left to right

1/ HD Activity
    2/ Power
    3/ DVD Activity

On a side note, 1 really funny thing that happened when I turned it on....I tried to put in a CD, only to find that the balsa panelling on the front was a tough too narrow, I don't know why, but I giggled for about 10 minutes....lol....easily remedied with a quick round filing (was only about 1/2 mm too narrow, so no great obstacle.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all, I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Not too bad for a first 'complete' mod (but that's just me)

I'd like to thank everyone who gave the positive feedback, and especially Will Harris who thought it frontpage worthy....Thank you.

I shall be starting a new one on Wednesday when I get my new case (who knows I may start it earlier, I've got that modding bug now and I learned a lot from this, and have leftover material that I can put to good use, and a lot of new tools :))

So thanks again, and I hope you enjoyed watching this progress.

TheMightySpud