1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Motherboard: Initial design V15

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RotoSequence, 3 Dec 2005.

1. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

To increase the 'cooling' performance of you copper heatsink-system, without using the costs of a watercooling setup or the noise of small whining fans, i think you will like this solution.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23331

So a small magnetic pump (on a far side of the bord, not near hdd) will pump this cooling liquid trough those heatsinks.
    I'm going to modify your basic design a bit to explain myself.
    The 'pump' on the upper-side, most PSU have a 120mm fan sucking air just above that point. Almost all heat-dissapation methods count on moving air.
    [​IMG]

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Heatpipes make that unncessary because the heat spreading occurs via natural convection from the vaporisation and condensing of the substance in the pipes. While an interesting idea, it would be exorbitantly expensive and make swapping the heatpipe system with waterblocks even more akward.

Could someone with a PCI Express motherboard get me the measurements for a PCI Express X16 and X1 slot? Its difficult to find these on the internet.

The dimensions of socket 939 and the heatsink bracket would be appreciated as well :thumb:

3. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

IR is too old and slow.. bluetooth is unneeded tbh..but it would be nice if there was room :)

4. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

bluetooth is used by some peripethals... but ir is kinda useless

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

IR useless? Ever watched something from your sofa, and had to stand up every 5 mins to change things? IR is a must!!

6. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

well... that's for htpc... but normal computers don't need ir... I have like 2 remotes floating around my desk

7. [<x>] Kiyusoma

[<x>] Kiyusoma Deus Ex Machina

You should try using sketchup to check for size and clearance issues
    Also what about traces and stuff? controller chips?
    another crucial element that your missing is mounting holes

Definately need PCI-X slots
    Dual BIOS?
    Where is the cmos battery?
    Must have loads of fan connectors (1 for cpu, 2 south of back ports, 4 just above
    front panel connectors, hardware and soft adj.)

Can't think of anything else right now...

8. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Way ahead of you (been working on making this board in sketchup for the last two days).

9. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

When you sell the design of to Abit or DFI, i'll give you my bank account number :naughty:

10. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

me too :hehe: :rock:

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

the thing is, with motherboards, you can't just decide "oh we'll put the chipset there, the ram there and the socket there, how about a slot there and there" etc

Things on a motherboard are there for a reason, things that aren't on motherboards aren't there for a reason. Motherboard manufacturers have some pretty some serious systems for calculating exactly where they can put things for shortest trace distance etc

Last edited: 5 Dec 2005
  12. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Obviously a lot is subject to change, due to the reasons Mister_Tad provided. Thus far, here is where this board stands in Sketchup.

[​IMG]

Obviously far from finished, but you can see that a lot of things are being swapped around for fitting.

13. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

It'd be nice if you rotated the sata ports 90° so that right angle sata cables are usable. Glad you finally fixed the DDR slot orientation.

14. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Ditto ^^^

And is there anyway to move the atx connector from where its at. With some cases hardrives or cd drives cover right where the connector is, making the board unuseable. How about parallel with the ddr slots at the top of the board, my old ecs k7s5a had its atx cable there, made it real easy to hide the wire.

15. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

That may cause electrical interferance with the RAM itself, though I have been thinking about relocating the power connectors myself.

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

AFAIK, the two possible metals that Sapphire could use in their Liquid Metal cooling solution are not viable for one reason or another. I don't know their names off the top of my head but one of them costs too much, while the other explodes when it comes into contact with air (think damaged heatpipes...)...

I believe this is why Sapphire hasn't said much about Blizzard since Computex.

17. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Was it gallium? That melts at 30°C, but is quite pricey - it would certainly look cool in a WC (make that metal-cooling) loop :D. A leak would be almost certainly fatal, though... but I suppose it would solidify in the case eventually, making cleanup quite easy.

18. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

tbh, I'd be willing to take that risk if it means 12C CPU and GPU temps passively ;)

19. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

And at least you'd know if something bad happens ;)

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'd rather have a little noise than the risk of a fire in my PC that doesn't have a Cross infront of it...

CrossFire is noisy atm anyway... :p