1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer alarmclock?????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skeletor121, 4 Dec 2005.

1. skeletor121

skeletor121 What's a Dremel?

This morning around 0300 my wife woke me up and told me the computer was making some weird noise. It sounded like a muffled alarm clock going off. I unplugged it and figured I would look at it in the morning. Once I plugged it back in it started making the noise again. I started it up and it got louder until XP booted up, then it stopped completely. While investigating my computer I noticed the sound wasn't working. I moved the sound card to a different slot, which solved this problem. Since starting up the computer the alarm clock noise stopped as well. I haven't heard it since (even with the power off). Does anyone know why there would be a noise like this? I'm stumped. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Sounds like the board might have worked its way loose, or dust into the PCI slot or something.

3. skeletor121

it was a little dusty in there so I cleaned it out. everything is now working fine....just wondering about the alarm clock. I've never heard about it before.

4. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

hmm well i havnt heard of a computer alarm clock, unless you downloaded one, i think that noise is from the pc speaker, saying its overheating !

i had that once the cpu hsf wasnt on properly

5. skeletor121

I thought it might be something like that, but everything was off. There was still power going to the case, but it was shutdown so I don't think it was overheating. It only happened when the comp was shutdown. I checked all the fans and the heatsink and everything was good when I checked it. I have had this computer up and running since July and this just happened. I'm pretty sure the sound problem was becuase my wife moved the comp and knocked the card loose (I have since fixed this problem) and some dust got in the way. Thanks for the replies.