1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Revolution is a 'souped-up Xbox'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 6 Dec 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

same as usueal for them.

The gamecube was a completely different experience from the xbox and Playstation, as were the main games. Nintendo always bring back that retro feel and great gameplay and FUN games.

I think to compare their consoles squaley aginst Sony's & Microsoft's is unrealistic.

You'll find that many PS2 and Xbox owners also had a gamecube tucked away for those great drunken 4 player smashbrothers mathrathons after a night out.

3. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

i think its pretty smart, considering that their games are already targeted to a younger generation. i'm not saying that you have to be a little kid to play nintendo, but they aren't coming out with titles that are extremely violent. i think its a smart move to go this low, parents will be more inclined to buy it for their kids, and people my age (20) who are in college would love to see a console and games for cheaper than 400 and 70, respectively. but trust me, i'll be playing as much 360 as the next guy, just a smart move to go cheaper for the younger generation (and simpilier with no HD hookup) :D

4. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

Dont forget Monkeyball, one of the best multiplayer games after bomberman

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

One dev supposibly said: "64meg more ram than the NGC", and considering the NGC has 48meg, you're looking at about 128. Enough for 480p. It's still gonna be a dual core, multi GHz chip, with a graphics chip that's 3-4 generations ahead of the Xbox. The problem is ATI (?) or Ninty havent got out the Hollywood chip to devs yet, so everyone's working off gamecubes still. Apparently.

6. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

I would take what this article sais as a grain of salt, the guy who wrote it isnt exactly the sultin of truth and alot of his 'un-named sources' arnt really that good at telling what the truth is either. Not to mention that the entire article comes off quite vague and it seems like its saying "Well it could be this..but were not really saying it could be this..."

7. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

If nintendo ****s up this console launch (thats saying that it actually launches) I think it will be the final nail in the coffin for Mario and Crew. Nintendo has constantly went against the grain with every console/handheld they have released after SNES, and they can't possibly be making money off of obvious failures in comparison to the likes of Xbox and Playstation.

My advice to Nintendo, Do something besides make a console based on 10-14 year olds, the core market that made you sooo rich back in the day grew up and we want to see bigger, better, and more mature nintendo not some new controller to be the gimmick for a new system.

8. Reaper_Unreal

Reaper_Unreal Minimodder

If there's one thing I've learned about IGN, it's that they never actually know what they're talking about. Considering they gave Driver 3 an 8.5/10 when it was riddled with bugs, invisible walls, etc. They are definately biased towards microsoft or sony, there's no doubt about that. Being a souped-up xbox sounds like a load of BS to me, seeing as how all 3 consoles are supposed to have roughly the same power. By that token, the xbox360 is a souped-up xbox, which actually seems to make more sense. I'm going to wait until Beyond3D or a simillar site does a full exploration into the architecture of the processors before I decide what's faster. Looking at specs is nice, but sometimes they can be misleading. Who would've thought that a Pentium M 1.6Ghz would be faster than a P4 2.2Ghz?

9. BurntKona

BurntKona What's a Dremel?

But I believe that Nintendo do make money. They fact that the consoles aren't sold for a loss helps. If this guy's fingures are correct, they have a bigger market share than is percieved.

http://nintendoinsider.com/site/EEEFylpkElFffmiBlr.php

More mature Nintendo... RE4 and Killer7 too childish?

As long as the Big N keep crafting wonderful games, I will keep buying them.

10. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

I really loved/hated that article at the same time, everyone knows that Nintendo has alwase made a minimal profit (usually) throughout the quarters of the year. But when it wasnt to compare market share it decides it wants to combine the DS/SP/Gamecube alongside the PSP/Ps2, i mean wtf. Were talking about a SP which can be had for 50 bucks, a DS which can be had for 100 bucks (used), and a gamecube which can be had for 100 bucks. Compared to an expensive handheld and an expensive ps2. Of course there going to sell more with console and handheld market combined! The gamecube vs the ps2 is no contest however.

11. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Dab Namnint! I wanted this thing to be the titan of new gen consoles! Anything with a graphics card with less than 256 just isn't worth buying..... Grrrr

Why would my friends at Nintendo do this to me>>!<>>?

12. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Thinking about games rather than hardware? OMGWTF!! Console game makers actually think about that stuff??? :confused:

13. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

Exactly. Now I definitely agree that new graphics and all are nice, but quite frankly I don't give a **** about buying a console based on it's processing power and think that that is actually quite stupid for someone to do. Consoles should be bought for the games, not the power.

Granted, this should be taken with a grain of salt because pretty games = teh good, but still. I'd much rather play games that are helluva fun (especially when they're much cheaper than competitors) and maybe don't look quite as nice, than own a console with crap games and only be able to say "...well, it's the fastest console on the market..."

14. Boon

Boon What's a Dremel?

Are there any nails in their coffin as it stands? This gen they came a close third compared to the Xbox worldwide and beat it to third comprehensively in Japan. Add to that the fact that Nintendo make a little profit on each unit and have a market plan centered around that; oh yeah let's not forget the success of their portable units.

The fact that you said they can't possibly make money compared to MS and Sony shows how little knowledge you have of the console market; it's well known that MS made a couple of billion dollars loss on the original Xbox primarily by selling it at such a loss in an attempt to conpete wheras Nintendo made a tidy profit this console generation. Now the fact that MS has a seemingly unending back account doesn't mean they are willing to lose that much this gen also. To meit seems both Sony and Nintendo have a plan for their units and MS moves thusfar reek of desperation.

Whats the bet that a Revolution plus Zelda bundle will outsell total Xbox360 units in native Japan in next to no time, even with it's significant head start.

15. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Its obvious that the spectacle of "OMG SUPER DUPER POWER!!!!!111" is working too well on people. It doesnt mean a damn thing if the hardware could be used in replacement of a super computer if the games arent any fun.

Nintendo is pushing for cheaper hardware to allow more people to buy more, fun, games. Nintendo has always been about making games that are fun to play, whereas all the Xbox 360 has been doing is pushing the graphics limit and wrapping a game around it. I frankly dont care all that much about super duper graphics. I want fun games, and Nintendo is the most consistent source for them. All of you whining about games for "10-14 year olds" are probably no older than that yourselves. There is some genuinely good entertainment in these games, and youre screwing yourselves over by not playing because the ESRB gave it an E for Everyone.

16. Zach

Zach What's a Dremel?

Nintendo do aim to please a different audience compared to PS and Xbox, which is a great business decision, its whats keeping them profitable.

17. Darkangel

Darkangel What's a Dremel?

Nintendo seem to have their heads screwed on, its been put well by a few peeps above
    and if ur a stoner/drunk/kid (not all at once) ur gonna want gameplay over gfx anyday.. coz well u cant focus properly so it doesnt matter haha

18. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

nintendo have never made a loss on a console unlike micro$oft and fony so there not doing as badley as everyone makes out.

19. XUntitled

XUntitled What's a Dremel?

If good games don't come out at a steady flow they'll be in trouble, you need more then good lunch titles at launch, customers need to know that good games will be coming out soon after. That was made clear with the Dreamcast.

20. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

I think Nintendo will win my money once again just for the fact they have Zelda. I am glad someone is going for gameplay instead of graphics. Graphics are all good but if the games crap then there isnt any point in it being pretty.

Tags: Add Tags