1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tracing trends: multiplayer FPS

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 7 Dec 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Piddu

Piddu What's a Dremel?

u have to mention PREY in the upcoming fps... i think it will kick ass :rock:

3. stephen2002

stephen2002 What's a Dremel?

Good article. I can't wait for UT2007 :D

4. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

cool artical.

shame you missed out the mod firearms, it was revolutionary in alot of ways (such as being the first game ever to have prone in it) things were directly lifed from it into games like BF.

5. RTT

RTT #parp

/fires up action quake2

6. hmekk

hmekk What's a Dremel?

where is wolfenstein enemy territory ? ? :duh:

7. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

"erhaps this is because the Battlefield community is a little less fanatical about the game than CS players"
    or less damn anal, CS annoyed me when i realised i was playing the same game 30 time in a row. DULL. One trick pony was invented for CS

8. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Yes, well written stuff. A tribute to the billions of click click clicks out there....

I am in the east. So the computers here are **** and so I'm shunned from the glorious new titles.
    I play exclusivly 1.6 CS. When I was in Canada I played CS:S and was majorly dissapointed. They took away 8 different costumes (10 if you count condition 0) and the shield! I know most people hate the shield but it's not my point. They didn't add new weapons at all!! Even HL2 had the MP7!!!

Here it be http://www.hkpro.com/pdw.htm

Weapons like a double barreled flintlock woulda really spiced up the game play. Even upgrading the famas from the 1980's model!!!!! If anyones seen 28 Days Later, thats what the gun looks like today! A friggin' tri pod for the MPARA!!! Mellee atacks, or throwing your knife K'mon!

Halo 2 was terribly dissapointing as well. If your like me you play every game on the hardest settings first, in this case Legenary. The graphics were worse than the first, they made the needler and the pistol usless, and more than anything.... They made the Master Chief a ho. He dies so easily in 2 that is was disgusting to watch. Two rounds to the chest and he was toast...

The Dwarfs could take more unshielded damage.... :grr:

In 1996 I was ten years old. Duke Nukem 3D and I were the best of friends :baby: Probobly because our mentallity's were similar :hehe: Anyway, if they concentrate on fun gameplay like they did with the first ones, I think it will be similar to Nintendo's approach with their uppcoming soupped up X-Box...

Doom :p The game name makes me wet.... I was really hoping to see it remade with new technology :waah: To me that would make being a hermit bliss...

Again great article :thumb: Made me remember all those levels I beat over and over and over an....

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

To my knowledge, the first multiplayer 3d maze game was: MidiMaze for the Atari ST range of computers. MidiMaze was a hide and seek "you are IT" 3D maze game. You could play with 16 players in one maze, Each player was connected with a midi cable to each others Atari ST computer.

10. I_Slider_I

I_Slider_I What's a Dremel?

I was a little surpised with the breaf reference to Call of Duty, however I can agree that it wasn't that revolutionary, however I too was an avid Quake 3 fan, and the game was my next step.

Although I still do lan every once and a while with AVP2 which wasn't mentioned at all. The sheer speed of AVP2 is what makes the game exciting, as a marine your on pins and needles looking for the ultra fast aliens, and as a alien, the ability to actually run on walls, and jump enourmous distances can make for some good laughs.

11. acidfire

acidfire What's a Dremel?

Planetside anyone?

Yes the game had its limitations, but the sheer organization of some of the outfits (I was a Devildog on markov myself) made it addictive. I remember the air wing i used to fly with incredible, especially when massing for an attack on a heavily occupied base. The only drawbacks (for me anyways) were the lack of headshots (tho organizing took care of that with a partner) and monthly subscription.

It got to the point where the game just wasn't fun anymore, and i was left with a huge hole in the strategic fps games in my library. Then came Battlefield 2. After playing the demo for a week i took a buttload of games to EBGames for a trade in (took 9 of em) just to get it. I wasn't disappointed when i got home. My first full match on wake island 2007, I was playing with the attack helicoptor supporting a pair of blackhawks heading for the airfield. I looked away, and they disappeared. Turned out they made it to like 300 m and all 12 dropped from the helis at the same time, hit their parachutes at the same time, and took the base in about 30 secs after the jump.

I was hooked. CS:S was fun, and nothing is more entertaining than the particle gun on FEAR, but for true tactical its gotta be Battlefield 2.

listen to me, I sound like I work for EA...

Mind you, UT2k7 wont come soon enough for me. Nothing like the memories of taking off my HTML/PHP instructors head in a manta...

12. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Descent was soo the first fully 3D FPS. It's just a shame that it was never as highly recognised as Quake or Doom.

13. Piddu

Piddu What's a Dremel?

i remember a 300 vs 300 battle just to conquer a turret near a bridge ... if it wasn't for lag it was cool =)

14. _glitch_

_glitch_ What's a Dremel?

In my opinion/experience, the best online team-based FPS there is.

Words cannot express how much I love ET. God, please let there be an update when the new RTCW comes out.

Nothing really comes close to ET, does it? And it's free!

15. JThrockmorton206

JThrockmorton206 Owl Exterminator

Very nice article, it was nice to just read a brief history and go back and think about all the revolutionary games that came across. I remmember long days with my cousin on quake allthough I was young and never discovered the joys of quake 3 until no more than a year ago. I fell in love with halo when I first played it though halo 2 was rather dissapointing to the point where i just dont like playing it that much anymore. I Hope halo 3 ends up being amazing though im not too excited for it yet. Me, I'm counting the days and saving to get a PC that will run UT2007 flawlessly (well as flawlessly as possible) at release ;) ah....wet dreams.

16. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

"Tournament play
    Some would suggest that Quake 4 has the potential to be the most exciting competitive game yet. It has fast action, and a constant respawn means that players are not out of the game for long. The graphics are astounding (amking for a visually appealing game to watch), and the quick reactions and thinking needed make it more akin to a 'real' sport than perhaps any other game."
    Its off the second page, shouldnt it be "(making for a visually appealing game to watch . . ."

17. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

Good artical, but I wanted to mention one thing. Microsoft has already said a Keyboard will only be usable for text entry on the Xbox 360, nothing more, and a mouse is out of the question. I people have tested a usb keyboard though, and it seems to work alright for text entry when your in the dashboard, but beyond that I don't think any games even support it.

18. thehum

thehum What's a Dremel?

I myself wondered why you didn't list Call of Duty. It's based on the Q3 engine and has created a massive fanbase in the DM FPS genre. Like CounterStrike Source, Call of Duty have given new life to an old engine on top of being an outstanding SP and MP game. In fact, Call of Duty 2 still uses the Q3 engine. Maybe it's not revolutionary, but it's definately significant.

19. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Wil, wil, wil. Where is Rise of the Triad?! Let's not forget the ORIGINATOR of the rocket jump, the gib, and the first game to actually allow you to leave the ground in more than a fall to your death. :)

And let's not forget, the first game to ever include DUAL pistols.

By the way, Descent kicked ass. Still the most awe-inspiring, dizzying game I ever played. I REALLY WISH some game developers would decide to update it a bit graphically and re-release...drool...

20. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

ahh I remember playing descent, the only problem was it was soo easy to get disoriented trying to think up down, left right. It would need better controls as well, but its golden.

there's a bajillion fps' and the fact that many peoples favourites aren't mentioned just goes to show. My only beef is that cs came out before quake 3 (98 was a good year) and back then the original hl multiplayer was pretty big aswell. Anyways I remember playing for the first time back in the 7th grade at a lan center (which was a new concept then aswell) it was amazing even for beta 4.4 it was also hilarious back then as there were a million tiny things that were different
    colt had a scope, psg1 was best sniper (no recoil), snipers had crosshairs zoomed out, infinite jump, you could get self headshots, only could defuse with defuse kit, T's could move hosties and hosty jump, infinite jumps, it listed the guns then the ammo, since different guns had the same type of ammo you had to guess which ammo you needed and you could buy ammo for guns you couldn't even buy. Oh a million other things back then. people generally didn't hack (most don't now) and before bunny hoping was discovered everyone jumped around like a madman anyways.
    mansion and siege for life
    anyone remember the ill-fated as_ and es_ maps?

Tags: Add Tags