1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DDR 400/533/600

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1e8o, 5 Dec 2005.

1. 1e8o

1e8o What's a Dremel?

I have got 2 512 mb ddr 400 but i want a better performance so wich memory brand or combination ( 2 x 512; 1 x 1 gb or 2 x 1 gb)
    can you recommend.

thanx for the replies :thumb:

2. Pete_Venkman

Pete_Venkman What's a Dremel?

I'm in the process of building a rig very similar to the one in your sig...and i'm hung up on memory too. DEFINITELY get two sticks of whatever you choose, to take advantage of dual channel. That much I know. Up until now I've had alleigence to Corsair, but I'm fielding all opportunities. My fallback would be 2x1gb Corsair XMS (not the pro stuff). From most of the posts i've seen here, Crucial Ballistix and OCZ EL Platinum seem to be the favorites, followed by Corsair XMS and G.Skill and Geil.

I'll be watching this thread as I'm interested to find out what RAM others recommend.

3. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

If it's DDR1 you're buying, go for Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB. Pricey, but for overclocking, you won't get much better ;)

If you're not going to bother with OCing, Ballistix is a waste of time - pick up some quality value RAM from Crucial or Corsair.

4. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

as hitman said or use ocz plat. As for the title make sure you get ddr 400 as ddr 533/600 wont work on any amds (until the socket M2 comes out)

5. mike047

mike047 What's a Dremel?

Actually, 500/533/550/566 will work on AMD:D. Use all four in different boxes I have. It just defaults/recognizes to 400 on boot up. Using 550 allows me to OC to 280 or better on several boxes.

6. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Yep. This guy is right everyone. :rolleyes:

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've heard some of the recent ballistix has been hit-or-miss recently, actually. However in general, it does overclock the best. Seems there was a bad batch recently according to some reviews

2x1GB definately. Just getting faster ram (beyond ddr400) won't do a thing without overclocking, which is true for any computer in existance. The DDRxxx/PCxxxx is just what it CAN do for sure; memory controllers tend to be rated for DDR400/PC3200 at most. With ram, quantity will generally make the biggest difference (unless you were to buy 2gb of DDR266 or something) - the data it stores needs to come from somewhere, almost always starting at the hard drive. And the hard drive is about a hundredth of the speed of ram, so if you can get 2gb of stuff at ram speeds, it'll be much faster overall than having 1gb of stuff somewhat faster that needs to get changed out more often.

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I'm also on my second set of Ballistix. So far, this new set is absolutely fine, and I've been running them overclocked for a few weeks now.

9. Pete_Venkman

Pete_Venkman What's a Dremel?

Personally, I'm not interested in overclocking. I have my eye on some Corsair XMS 2x1gb right now, but would the Corsair Value Select be just as good. I don't think the latencies are too much different...at least, not as different as the cost.

:duh:

10. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

That Value ram is fine mate ;)

11. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?