1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tracing trends: multiplayer FPS

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 7 Dec 2005.

1. therealdave

therealdave What's a Dremel?

Rise of the Triad was an amazing game!!!!111oneone!!!1111eleven!!! <--- enough emphasis ?!?

2. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

where is coduo??!!??

3. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Wait a friggin sec... No Tribes!!!?????

Anyone?

4. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

Soldier of Fortune? SOF2?
    Joint Operations? I still prefer a lan of JO-Escallation to BF2

I guess I'm kind of a lamer for not playing multi-player FPS until UT
    and I've never played CS except for CS:S

I'm sad, I know.

5. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

I play mainly FPS's and lately I've found myself very bored with almost every single incarnation of the word. There seems to be reasons why I'm running away from most of my FPS games mainly what I consider bad gameplay.

CS:S has alot of cheaters, script kids, egomaniacs, and the game is beautiful but the netcode hasn't seem to have caught up to the advancement of the its visual power.

Quake4 is just alot of the same, kill kill kill kill kill kill ZzZzZzZz.

Battlefield 2 takes way too damn long to find a good server and then way too long to get into the game and get started playing. By the time I'm actually playing the game I wanna play something else.

I'm hoping for an evolution in gaming in the future, we have all this hardware but the gameplay stays very much the same.

6. ST8

ST8 What's a Dremel?

/me dons his stealth slippers
    /me throws a knife at rtt and listens for the squelch sound ;D

Did you try reactionq3? That was a reasonbly good straight conversion from aq2. Would be nice if they could convert aq2 to q4 :D

And re the article, wolf:et is actually still suprisingly popular i think its rated like 4th biggest atm...

7. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

I remember hl dm it was so damn funny :hehe: just used to trip mine rooms up and wait :naughty: but sometimes I forgot about them myself :eek:

8. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

I knew this would get you guys going :D Unfortunately, I couldn't include everything - deadlines you know!

9. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I loved MOH:AA multiplayer. Decent objective gameplay, a nice mix of semi-realism and arcade gameplay and some of the best designed and beautifull maps ever made. Shame they never made a decent anti cheat or new maps. Still a popular online game though.

10. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

RTT, at one point, I saw you link to a linux, free MFPS. What was it? It looked pretty darn good, at the time.

11. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Hexen and Heretic. And Blood. And Wolf3D.

12. RTT

RTT #parp

http://www.nexuiz.com/

it's quite good (especially considering its FOSS!), very q3-esque.

13. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

RTCW is possibly the best objective based fps mp game ever
    ET is really good, but because its free you get a lot of idiots playing, i stopped playing after a month or 2 whereas i played rtcw for over a year

14. Piddu

Piddu What's a Dremel?

no one mentioned Renegade...

Renegade was the first game in 3D from westwood... it was an fps where u could play as a NOD or a GDI and try to destroy the enemy base , like playng in a big RTS with different classes of soldiers such as ET , veicles ( i think it was one of the first game with veicles like tribes ) and map were for each side u could try tattics...
    well the game wasn't so good from a technical point of view becouse of its bugs and some problem with the 3d engine...
    but it was one of the funniest game i have ever play and 2 years ago renegade's server were running with 60 80 110 ppl something that actual game can't do. And with a normal pc you can play it with no problems.

what else ? IN THE NAME OF KANE !!! :D

15. s29feb

s29feb What's a Dremel?

Enemy Territory MAn myself :)

Alos what was the one with the ex SAS guy Project IGN or something?

16. Nature

Nature Minimodder

That's what I'm talkin' about. Right arm pope...

17. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

IIRC ET was ranked 4th as most played games, and its name doesn't appear in this article?
    I love ET since it isn't a frag based FPS.

Heretic, best FPS in my opinion.

18. Polarhound

Polarhound What's a Dremel?

I'm disappointed that Tribes was omitted as well. Most all of the description for Q3 *AND* UT could apply to Tribes... Multiplayer only (except for short tutorial), innovative maps creating seamless indoor AND outdoor play with no FPS drop, true 3D battles thanks to the jetpack (mid-air discing anyone?) Vehicles (both single and multi-player variety), multiple mission types (CTF, C&H, D&D, F&R, not to mention the user-created types.... Team Rabbit anyone??) .. 3 armors... over a dozen weapons (some armor specific)... skiing.. discjumping.. minejumping.. Heavy O.. Turtling.. Defensible assets... "Repair our generator!"... customizable team messaging/voice shortcuts... 32 player slugfests... The first time you learned how to take out the main enemy turret in Riverdance with a plasma rifle and grenades... Targeting laser light shows... dropping a mortar on someone's head from 350m away... Rain On My Grenade... Ski routes... Mods galore (Classic Renegades or Shifter anyone?!)

Oh yeah... Tribes also came out a year before Q3 and UT..
    Ok, where'd I put my Thorazine.........

19. phaserbrain

phaserbrain What's a Dremel?

Minor correction to an otherwise nice article

The sniper rifle was replaced with the lightning gun in UT2003, but both weapons exist in UT2004. How often the sniper rifle appears depends on what maps you play. And there are so many maps in UT2004 (one of the game's strengths), that I'm sure you can find sniper rifle ecstasy again.

20. Sagan

Sagan What's a Dremel?

Great article. I came to it via http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000493071935/

I would have liked to hear your opinion about the upcoming Metroid Prime games in the Upcoming Titles section... It will be very interesting to play with touchscreen and that new Nintendo controller...

Tags: Add Tags