1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Hard Drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrWillyWonka, 8 Dec 2005.

1. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Got a 74GB Raptor the other day and I am having very weird problems with it.

First, the hard drive will only boot with the primary drive connected, if the storage drive is also connected, the computer will not boot.

Second, the hard drive appears in the BIOS and Device manager in Windows, but not in disk management or in Windows setup.

Thirdly, the most wtf problem is that the hdd appears as "wd800bb", which is in Fact a PATA WD Caviar 80GB HDD.

Could anyone suggest wtf is happening?

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Your raptor think's it's a wd800bb? Weird, it sound pretty broken, take it back to where you got it from and ask for a refund/replacement. It should be showing up as a WD740GD (if memory serves).
    I've never heard of an HD doing something like this before...

3. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

i had a similar problem, check the jumper steeings on all drives make sure they are set to master and slave respectivly and on the right part of the cable. dont use the cable select jumper setting as this can cause problems

4. MrWillyWonka

It's a SATA drive so it doesn't have master etc.

However it does have jumpers, but from reading they are for power management.

I bought this off another forum member, and this used to work. It still has another 4 years warrenty on it, so I might have to refund it.

It really is an odd problem.

5. mjd

mjd What's a Dremel?

Does the SATA disk show up as a a removeable device? i.e. Do you get an icon near the clock as with USB devices, and is it showing there when you double click it?

Also, what exactly is connected where including SATA and IDE connectors, and what is your boot sequence set to?

6. MrWillyWonka

Good point, I haven't checked whether it appears in the removable devices, I'm gonna reboot the computer and see if it appears there.

What's connected? Well:

SATA 1: Loose connector, so unused
    SATA 2: WD Raptor 36GB
    SATA 3: WD Raptor 74GB (supposingly)
    SATA 4: Seagate Barracuda 120GB

IDE Primary Master: Dual Layer DVD-RW
    IDE Primary Slave: DVD-ROM
    IDE Secondary Master: Unused
    IDE Secondary Slave: Unused

The other thing I don't understand is why the computer will not boot with all three drives connected. It can't be a power issue, the PSU is a 520W OCZ ModStream, and even after trying each hdd having it's own power line I still get the same problem, even though the BIOS detects all three HDD's fine, (except for the fact WD740GB is detected as WD800BB).

I have also contacted WD on this matter, as well as the forum member I bought it off.

7. mjd

mjd What's a Dremel?

So is the 36Gb the sys disk?
    Is the cuda a true SATA?
    Can you specifically stipulate that one of the SATA connectors is the boot source?

8. MrWillyWonka

The cuda is a true sata and the 36gigger is the boot source.

Do you have a solution in mind?

9. mjd

mjd What's a Dremel?

May be working towards it or given the ever mysterious world of computers, I could simply be ranting! :)

Is there a raid bios on your board/controller?

Also, let me just make sure I have this right in my head -

You boot from SATA 2 - 36GB Raptor

with

SATA 3 - 74GB Raptor
    SATA 4- Cuda

This doesnt work, but if you drop 3/4 - all is well?

Does it POST with all 3 drives connected?

If its does, then I wouldnt imagine it was anything more than the BIOS getting lost trying to find the boot source.

What do you have set as your 1st boot device?

Last edited: 8 Dec 2005
  10. MrWillyWonka

There is a raid bios on this board. What you said so far is correct. I have however managed to plug in the SATA 4 after I looged into windows, this works fine. The first boot device is the 36GB Raptor, it boots fine with only one other drive plugged in. The boot order is correct too.

I'm stumped.

11. mjd

mjd What's a Dremel?

IS the 74GB raptor clean?
    Can you mark the drive attached to SATA2 as bootable in the raid bios?

12. MrWillyWonka

I'm not sure if the drive is clean. I've tried going into windows setup, but it cannot detect a drive there. I have tried booting from disk but it comes up with a no system disk error.

One thing I might try now is to boot up a live linux and see if anything happens. It could be a windows problem?

13. mjd

mjd What's a Dremel?

I'm guessing you have supplied the sata/raid controller drivers to windows setup?

I'm not one to give up, but it does sound like the drive is unwell. Perhaps an incompatiible file system? The linux CD should pick this up.

14. MrWillyWonka

Linux doesn't recognise the drive, probably because it is not formatted. Secondly, somehow. The computer is now able to boot with all three hdd's attached.

Is there any free software which will allow me to parition a hard drive similar to partition magic?

15. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

You cheapskate :eeek:

:D

But in answer to yer question... yes there is, and it's called Partition Logic :thumb:

16. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Drives sometimes will show up as PATA in certain BIOSes due to the fact that SATA emulates traditional ATA on a software level, allowing for maximum compatibility. However, if it's actually identifying the drive model incorrectly, I'd say something was wrong.

Have you tried running WD's diagnostic utility to check for issues?

17. MrWillyWonka

I installed the WD utility but completly forgot about it :wallbash:

The utility thinks the drive is on secondary master, and it's not currently being translated correctly by the system, it MAY contain a DDo that the OS does not work with properly.

I have to run the utility to remove the DDO from the drive.

Looking at a definition, DDO is:

Short for Disk Drive Overlay, DDO is a TSR that loads onto sector two of the hard drive and is used for computers that do not support LBA mode. DDO allows the computer to support and see larger than 520 MB.

Proceeding to use the utility causes the system to hang, it has happened 3 times.

So what I may do is plop this drive into another computer and see what happens.

My BIOS is up to date, so I can't see why it's detecting it wrong, I mean, how does the BIOS manage to get another model number, which has never been inside that computer? The controller board on the HDD hasn't been touched.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2005
  18. MrWillyWonka

Right, I have spoken to the guys at WD and even though the HDD was bought in the United States they have agreed to RMA it under European Warrenty, thank god for that!

The guy said it is down to a firmware failure, they will be sending a new hdd this week :rock:

A firmware failure does make sense, looks like it may be based on the 80GB caviar or something if the BIOS displays it as that.

So, that's that...