1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio Controlled Car Owners: I Need Your Brain Cells

Discussion in 'General' started by mookboy, 10 Dec 2005.

1. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Basically I'm considering getting a decent, entry level kit for Christmas off the girlfriend and I was hoping to pick your brains on this subject.

Can someone recommend a kit in the £250-350 bracket that will be good enough to get me started and maybe even have enough longevity to get a couple of years of racing out of it? In terms of types of cars, are fuel powered cars really totally unsuitable for indoor racing - I've heard the fumes are too much for even a large hall? Also, anyone able to help me decide between the stadium racing trucks, touring car type tarmac cars, or the more conventional dirt buggies?

Lastly, is it all as fun as it looks? I'd want to join a local club to race it on a proper course, but don't want to waste the money if it's not going to provide much of a long term thing to do.

2. Dayains

Dayains Notamodder

3. offroadracer789

offroadracer789 What's a Dremel?

The rc10b4 and t4 are still the most reccomended cars. The b4 is a buggy and t4 is a truck. Personally, I like trucks better. I would got to a local track and ask the store manager and/or racers there if you can try out the different cars. As long as you are nice they shouldnt have much of a problem.

www.ultimaterc.com used to be a great source of info, but i dont now how good it is anymore.

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Why truck or buggy? Cars are good too.
    I've always have cars, and since your indoors, they're MUCH better since for instance with a buggy the following happens:
    You hit a wall since your fairly new to the art, with your front right or left wheel, wishbone breaks. pwnd for a week or so.

With a car, you've always got the body (and usually a foam bumper) ;) Always helps to start with cars imo.

Yes, It IS as fun as it looks imo, I'm not currently at a club since last year the one I went to closed down, but I am thinking of trying to get my best mate into it so we can both go to one local :)

Good price bracket you have there ;)
    Here are a few nice examples you could get (and i'd love);

HPI Sprint 2 - £115
    HPI, are an EXCELLENT brand, infact, one you might have already heard of since they entered cars into this years BTCC. ;)
    Best thing about them is a) their website - hugely informative, so if something breaks your in luck, its uber easy to find :D

Schumacher Mi2 S1 - £179
    Schumacher also another of the better brands. My current choice, but I'm after a new one atm. Mines like 3years old ;)
    This is more expensive then the HPI, but this one is a Kit, so you get to build it yourself = good. Only needs a motor/ESC/Body, and the usual rest.

Ho-Bao 10 - £159
    Only linking this to you just to show you how cheap this is! :p
    Full kit, probs the best nitro buggy brand, with everything except the essentials! Bargain! Guess what i'm after in Jan ;) This OR new Electric thing :D

If you want a hand off bit, feel free to throw me an email or MSN. :)

EDIT: And personally, I try to avoid Tamiya. General POS tbh. :blush:

5. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

If your racing indoors steer well clear of nitro. I was breaking in my truck outside today and I tell you, I got a bit too close and some exhaust got up my nose, my eyes started burning almost instantly, its really nasty stuff. Dont let that put you off though, just dont run nitro inside.

I raced a Team Losi XXX-Spec indorrs a while ago and I tlel you honestly, you dont have to have expensive gear in a buggy to be competetive, its all about how you drive.

[​IMG]

http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSA0030

Grab yourself one of those and youll be happy. Its also a kit which is always good.

6. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi,

I got into RC cars a good year ago. I got me the HPI RTR3 (or something). I must warn you, that it takes some dedication to keep at this. I've invested alot of money in this little car and now its just sitting in my room.. waiting to be repaired.. (some intake problem).

It's a money pit and never gets filled.

Its also best to have a few friends who are also into rc cars and are planning on sticking with it. The next important thing is to have some decent places to go race.. and this depends on the kind of car you and your friends have.

Last advice: don't invest in the most expensive car, engine, add-ons.. no need for that. The fun is in the drive and how you drive it.

Good luck with your rc car, I'm sure it will be blast the first few months.. but its after 6 months what counts.

L

7. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Have to admit, 2WD is a lot of fun. I'm too used to 4WD now tbh :D
    Mookboy: Link to Deathrows Suggestion :thumb:

8. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Out of all the indoor friendly classes, which one is the most popular? That Losi buggy looks mint, but am I better off going for something like a rally car or a saloon for indoor business?

9. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Just checked, mine is a HPI Nitro 3 EVO RTR

Its meant for the road. Parking lots are pretty much perfect. Not meant to jump. They come standard with the T15 engine, wich is pretty fast. I added a better air intake filter and a THS racing exhaust. Also changed some springs.

Mine is 4WD, they are so much easier to handle then RWD's.

Good luck on your choice,
    L

10. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Where I went we just raced what we came with, usually a good mix of 1/10 scale saloons and buggys :)
    Not sure what the situation is now. ;)

11. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

To the electric chaps: what's the deal with charging the batteries? How long does it take/how long do you get, usage wise?

I see a lot of advantages from the electric cars, but battery life seems a big problem.

12. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I've got about seven sticks of batterys, one lasts about 15mins in my car right now.
    Which isn't bad considering the power of mine ;)

I've got a fast charger here, which will charge one in IIRC, 45mins (might be 1hour)

The one niggle I have with electric is that, you only seem to get max power for about 4mins, then you notice the peak dropping :/
    Shame tbh. Apparently, there are ways round this.

13. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

My RC (old 1/12 Tamiya Hummer) lasts 15min, and they charge in 15min.

L J

14. A3D

A3D What's a Dremel?

I own the Team Associated T4. I bought the RTR version of it which set me back about 250 dollars. I then upgraded the speed controller, Motor and battery type to race with. Now i have a racing stadium truck that easly does 65mph. I would recommend this truck because of its rtr option and the fact that you can pretty much race it after upgrading the speed controller and motor. Also changing over to carbon fiber parts would be a good idea because of thier durability. or battery life, upgrading to a brushless sytem will be the best way to go. The brushless sytem includes a motor,speed controller and usually a battery system. The battery life on my brushless system is about 25 min(full throttle) Hope this helps, Oh BTW you may want to consider signing up to this forum. Here Lots of usefull info their and mostly everyone is friendly :thumb:

Last edited: 12 Dec 2005
  15. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

16. BiReL41r

BiReL41r What's a Dremel?

Kyosho makes pretty good starter R/C gas powered cars.

17. .308AR

.308AR What's a Dremel?

I'd get a 2wd stadium truck. You can go off-road or get touring car shocks and road tires for street fun.

18. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Ebay 4tw!
    Got a HPI Sprint 2 for £70. Slightly used but no electronics. Perfect. :)

19. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

Last edited: 15 Dec 2005
  20. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

Ive always wanted a good fast Nitro RC car too, and seeing as i have the cash i may aswell look into it! Basicly it MUST be Nitro / Gas, Must be £200 or less (Pref 150?) Dont like buggys at all, so ideally a car or possibly a truck. Something like a Lancer Evo or Scooby Imp would be great but overall any car shell type will do.
    Mike
    (sorry for slight hijack)